IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

30 minutes ago, Miska said:

Depends on what else you have running on the system. It saves half of the multitasking context switching overhead of the OS and helps cache efficiency.

AVX-512 has been supported on Windows, macOS and generic Ubuntu Linux builds for couple of years.

Only HQPeOS x64 would be running.

I meant does HQPeOS x64 utilize AVX-512? It's one of the differentiators in Intel lineup even this year.

With 4.24 I'm still experiencing the occasional white noise at the change of tracks. 1 in 10 tracks simply begin with the noise. If I restart that same track, no problem it plays normally.

Low bitrate streams, <192kHz MP3 mostly, and changes from 44.1 to 96 cause it as well. The very same hw and config did not have this issue with 4.22.3. The issue is better than with 4.23.x though. I've set NAA buffer to 100 and this 'seems' to help. I don't have enough time to say for sure though.

Any other suggestions?

Running Ubuntu server 20.04 with HQPlayer embedded.Using NAA.My dac uses a windows driver to do native dsd 256.Is there a way to use HQPlayer NAA on either ubuntu server or hqplayer NAA OS to do do dsd 256.Other wise can only do dsd 128 through DOP ?

18 minutes ago, lpost said:

Only HQPeOS x64 would be running.

I meant does HQPeOS x64 utilize AVX-512? It's one of the differentiators in Intel lineup even this year.

With 4.24 I'm still experiencing the occasional white noise at the change of tracks. 1 in 10 tracks simply begin with the noise. If I restart that same track, no problem it plays normally.

Low bitrate streams, <192kHz MP3 mostly, and changes from 44.1 to 96 cause it as well. The very same hw and config did not have this issue with 4.22.3. The issue is better than with 4.23.x though. I've set NAA buffer to 100 and this 'seems' to help. I don't have enough time to say for sure though.

Any other suggestions?

HQP likes high clock rates. AVX-512 can limit boost rates because the instructions use lots of energy. High baseline clock rates are helpful. I posted measurements awhile ago on my Xeon W-2245 workstation ... and I selected that chip specifically because of the baseline clock rate.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

HQP likes high clock rates. AVX-512 can limit boost rates because the instructions use lots of energy. High baseline clock rates are helpful. I posted measurements awhile ago on my Xeon W-2245 workstation ... and I selected that chip specifically because of the baseline clock rate.

Link to your measurements?

If HQPe doesn't use AVX-512 then it's irrelevant but if it can/does utilize it and gain enough from it to warrant the additional power and heat I'll simply cool the proc more efficiently so it does not throttle.

Did you compare with other processors or just using the Xeon W-2245? I'm searching for the current sweet spot of cost, performance and power consumption. I can accommodate a full or even E-ATX build but smaller would be appreciated. I don't intend to overclock cpu. Looking at non-K and non-F i7-11700 and a lower end MSI Z590-A PRO.

https://skatterbencher.com/2021/03/30/rocket-lake-overclocking-whats-new/

The ability to individually set max rates for cores, in particular the 2 'favored cores', is interesting and AVX and AVX512 negative ratio offsets. Perhaps the 'lesser' i5-11600k is worth a second look. Allow its two favored cores to go as high as the max turbo budget allows and keep the other cores at lower rates saving heat and power. This sounds ideal for HQPe. High single core and base rate with little wasted extra cores running at high rates.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes it does, the processing you ask. If it cannot be done, HQPlayer refuses to play.

So if I want to play 768 PGGB files natively with HQPlayer would setting HQPlayer up-sample max to 384 work?

I’m leaning towards HQPlayer for output, not as dynamic as Stylus but it seems better behaved for not producing digital artifacts. Also finding that problem recordings don’t get better with PGGB, can become more annoying, HQPlayer tames them better. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

13 hours ago, lpost said:

Not anymore, it was removed in 4.23.

12 hours ago, lpost said:

The ability to individually set max rates for cores, in particular the 2 'favored cores', is interesting and AVX and AVX512 negative ratio offsets. Perhaps the 'lesser' i5-11600k is worth a second look. Allow its two favored cores to go as high as the max turbo budget allows and keep the other cores at lower rates saving heat and power.

This favored cores thing is going to create a lot of trouble, because HQPlayer doesn't know which cores are such.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 hours ago, davide256 said:

So if I want to play 768 PGGB files natively with HQPlayer would setting HQPlayer up-sample max to 384 work?

If you set max rate to 384, then HQPlayer will convert higher rates down to 384 (or 352.8 depending on adaptive rate settings).

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Not anymore, it was removed in 4.23.

This favored cores thing is going to create a lot of trouble, because HQPlayer doesn't know which cores are such.

Thanks. Any suggestions regarding the white noise issue?

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, I have not ever encountered such behavior on my testing.

Have you checked your CPU loads?

Yes, with PCM loads are very very low as expected. Running filters and modulators that my system can play I don't experience dropouts. The white noise only occurs at the change of a track and when it's a different source bit rate.

You created a couple alternate version of 4.23.x and one of them was better but still occurred from time to time and the same occurs with 4.24. 4.22.3 has never experienced the problem. I've not used DSD upsampling enough to say for sure but so far the problem only affects PCM upsampling. All sources are PCM.

@Miska

Just upgraded the computer from I7 8700 to AMD5900x , I should use the HQPlayer Embedded OS (usb thumb drive one) or install the ubuntu 20.04 with the AMD optimzed Build?  If AMD optimzed build then should follow the following script?

This post "

#!/bin/bash

##########################
### updated 23/05-2021 ###
##########################

############################################################
### Might still be some packages installed which are not
### necessary for hqplayer , but not that many...
############################################################

### this is for the Intel version
hq_ver=hqplayerd_4.23.1-71_amd64.deb

# Amd    - hqplayerd_4.23.1-72amd_amd64.deb
# Intel  - hqplayerd_4.23.1-71_amd64.deb

libgmpris_ver=libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb
hqplayer_user=admin
hqplayer_password=password
hqplayer_folder=https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/

### setting timezone
timedatectl set-timezone Europe/Copenhagen

sudo apt update
sudo apt -y upgrade

sudo apt -y install net-tools cifs-utils libtool wavpack zip unzip pkg-config gnupg

### AMD Rocm ###

cd /tmp;wget -q -O - https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key  | sudo apt-key add -
echo 'deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ xenial main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list

sudo apt update
sudo apt -y install rocm-libs

### mostly hqplayer stuff ###

cd /tmp; wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/$libgmpris_ver
cd /tmp; sudo dpkg -i $libgmpris_ver

cd /tmp; wget $hqplayer_folder$hq_ver
cd /tmp; sudo dpkg -i $hq_ver

sudo apt -y --fix-broken install

sudo systemctl enable hqplayerd

sudo systemctl start hqplayerd
sudo hqplayerd -s $hqplayer_user $hqplayer_password

### cleanup.

### jussi's recommended cleanup ###
sudo apt install -f ; sudo apt autoremove --purge ; sudo apt clean

reboot
6 minutes ago, Jacky820 said:

@Miska

Just upgraded the computer from I7 8700 to AMD5900x , I should use the HQPlayer Embedded OS (usb thumb drive one) or install the ubuntu 20.04 with the AMD optimzed Build?  If AMD optimzed build then should follow the following script?

Either one is fine. That script installs some things I don't know why.

sudo apt -y install net-tools cifs-utils libtool wavpack zip unzip pkg-config gnupg

I would leave just net-tools and cifs-utils. I don't know why it installs libtool and pkg-config which are development tools. "wavpack" is only needed if you wish to compress/decompress wavpack files from command line. I don't know why gnupg installed either.

This shouldn't be necessary either, needed things are pulled in by hqplayerd package.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

If you set max rate to 384, then HQPlayer will convert higher rates down to 384 (or 352.8 depending on adaptive rate settings).

any chance HQPlayer in future could have an option added to play natively for files at or above set rate limit?

That would be more flexible than making the assumption that the set rate limit is = DDC/DAC's limit.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Either one is fine. That script installs some things I don't know why.

I would leave just net-tools and cifs-utils. I don't know why it installs libtool and pkg-config which are development tools. "wavpack" is only needed if you wish to compress/decompress wavpack files from command line. I don't know why gnupg installed either.

This shouldn't be necessary either, needed things are pulled in by hqplayerd package.

Thanks for your reply. 
I am using the HQplayer embedded OS (USB) for upsampling 16/44.1 to DSD256 (to ext-3 with 7ec ) then drop out after a few seconds. But not all the song... 
Can the ubuntu with AMD optimised build will fix the problem?

12 hours ago, Jacky820 said:

I am using the HQplayer embedded OS (USB) for upsampling 16/44.1 to DSD256 (to ext-3 with 7ec ) then drop out after a few seconds. But not all the song... 
Can the ubuntu with AMD optimised build will fix the problem?

Not sure, I'm not expecting a huge difference in that respect. What is the source media? Have you checked the CPU loads with "htop"?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Not sure, I'm not expecting a huge difference in that respect. What is the source media? Have you checked the CPU loads with "htop"?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here are the screen cap for the CPU loading. 

So far the CPU 0 and 7 is 94.7% and the rest  is 9.9%  t 12.6%!

Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 9.40.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 9.40.37 PM.png

IMG_8472.jpg

29 minutes ago, Progisus said:

Hi @Miska

My Antipodes EX just upgraded to 4.24.0 and once again I am unable to access the config screen. When this was worked out previously I believe it was something to do with the instruction set?

The cpu is “CPU Name: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz. 

Thanks

Sorry @Miska  . False alarm. Uninstalled, reinstalled and now OK.