IGNORED

MQA and DRM

We'll be forced to if there's no other choice. And that's entirely possible.

And let's not forget that MQA also supports 16 bit channels. Some of the ultrasonic content carrying bits are scrambled into the upper 16 bits of the container, allowing them to survive, say, Airplay.

It is conceivable that labels in the future only offer one source at root, an MQA file, from which are derived all distribution forms (standard or hi-res streaming, downloads, CD, and MP3).

My eyes need deblurring when I think of this.

It is conceivable that labels in the future only offer one source at root, an MQA file, from which are derived all distribution forms (standard or hi-res streaming, downloads, CD, and MP3).

Studio projects may be finalized in traditional PCM master. Theoretically the master may be released as DSD after post-production.

From the master may be derived MQA, DSD, PCM, mp3 in end-user resolutions.

Sound engeneers don't consider MQA as internal studio format, as far as I know.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Probably not. But don't forget that the business is run by suits, not engineers.

Traditionally in audio many formats. If market will demand certain native resolution, there will the resolution, I suppose.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

How that? Can you show how one could perform equalisation at full hi-res rate on an

MQA signal

a. Decode -> DSP -> Render (with software decoding player)

or

b. Decode -> Render -> DSP (can not be done by consumer)

or

c. Decode -> DSP (with software decoding player)

outside of a completely MQA-controlled system?

I am not sure how to interpret that phrase unless you refer to my b option above.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I am not sure how to interpret that phrase unless you refer to my b option above.

a: the DSP would break the subcode that instructs the renderer => not

b: as you say, cannot be done by the consumer => not

c: this is incomplete => not

What I meant with an MQA controlled system is how MQA themselves explained it: a system where the DSP is part of the components that themselves are MQA-certified, and which outputs a valid MQA stream after the DSP has been applied.

c: this is incomplete => not

True. So ditch ALL the software players then. Those from today and those for the future.

So, true but not practical to approach it like that.

a: the DSP would break the subcode that instructs the renderer => not

You are incorrect. See below.

b: as you say, cannot be done by the consumer => not

Correct in itself. Still, as a manufacturer I can do it. So apparently it is about how we define DSP. But things like room correction per the software of choice is a no-go.

Anyway :

What I meant with an MQA controlled system is how MQA themselves explained it: a system where the DSP is part of the components that themselves are MQA-certified, and which outputs a valid MQA stream after the DSP has been applied.

This is again correct. One thing : the software core decoder is allowed to have user code.

It would be true that the whole of that is to be certified, but there is no reason not to, unless the output breaks the renderer if present. When not present ©, nothing can break. What's kind of crucial here is that the software player developer is not the one who determines whether there's a renderer (always hardware) behind it; this is up to the consumer (who also determines whether he uses software decode next to the hardware renderer). So the software has to be certified regardless.

XXHighEnd (developer)

True. So ditch ALL the software players then. Those from today and those for the future.

So, true but not practical to approach it like that.

You are incorrect. See below.

Correct in itself. Still, as a manufacturer I can do it. So apparently it is about how we define DSP. But things like room correction per the software of choice is a no-go.

This is again correct. One thing : the software core decoder is allowed to have user code.

It would be true that the whole of that is to be certified, but there is no reason not to, unless the output breaks the renderer if present. When not present ©, nothing can break. What's kind of crucial here is that the software player developer is not the one who determines whether there's a renderer (always hardware) behind it; this is up to the consumer (who also determines whether he uses software decode next to the hardware renderer). So the software has to be certified regardless.

Thank you for refuting your own assertion. DSP between decoder and renderer is possible, but only if you're authorised by MQA. Only the major players (pardon the pun) will have the resources to obtain this authorisation.

Only the major players (pardon the pun) will have the resources to obtain this authorisation.

And if your resources for this "information" are as valid as your determination of DRM being in there, then there's no DRM in there. ;)

XXHighEnd (developer)

or

or

a. is correct, but the DSP needs to comply with MQA, as shown in A65 from Chris' article:

Figure-7.png

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

a. is correct, but the DSP needs to comply with MQA, as shown in A65 from Chris' article:

Figure-7.png.

As I understand:

1. Decoder 2 is hardware unit only.

2. Optimal intermediate processing made impossible work of Decoder 2.

As I understand:

1. Decoder 2 is hardware unit only.

2. Optimal intermediate processing made impossible work of Decoder 2.

Negative, below the figure in the Q&A is this " The top diagram shows the ideal implementation of an all-in-one MQA decoder. It is fairly self- explanatory. Note that the decoder has a control for gain, optimised for the DAC. Remembering that the MQA decoder is tightly bound to the DAC, the lower diagram shows how to implement additional processing"

Negative, below the figure in the Q&A is this " The top diagram shows the ideal implementation of an all-in-one MQA decoder. It is fairly self- explanatory. Note that the decoder has a control for gain, optimised for the DAC. Remembering that the MQA decoder is tightly bound to the DAC, the lower diagram shows how to implement additional processing"

The gain control is a trivial multiplication. I don't see how you could possibly do it in a DAC-specific way.

The gain control is a trivial multiplication. I don't see how you could possibly do it in a DAC-specific way.

I agree but I was addressing audiventorys second point. You can insert DSP without nullifying Decode 2. Well in theory you can, but are there any MQA DACS set up with the ability for the user to inject DSP?

I agree but I was addressing audiventorys second point. You can insert DSP without nullifying Decode 2. Well in theory you can, but are there any MQA DACS set up with the ability for the user to inject DSP?

User-supplied, no. The Bluesound applies bass/treble controls between decode and render. This involves sending the data another round through the MQA-provided software library to restore the control bitstream needed by the renderer.

User-supplied, no. The Bluesound applies bass/treble controls between decode and render. This involves sending the data another round through the MQA-provided software library to restore the control bitstream needed by the renderer.

As I understand, render is second stage of decoding (unfolding upper 88/96 kHz), isn't it?

I would be skeptical myself of a claim that what MQA wants to do isn't possible without hardware. Have the MQA folks made such a claim?

The opposite. They say it is possible in SW, but they are restricting full unfolding and deblurring to HW. Apparently so they can charge royalties for the privilege.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

And if your resources for this "information" are as valid as your determination of DRM being in there, then there's no DRM in there. ;)

I've already read of small producers of equipment saying MQA certification was expensive enough that they decided it isn't worthwhile for them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Jim Collinson of Linn weighs in on the topic via an article just released online.

I am glad that he has taken the trouble to point out the obvious.

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

"MQA is an attempt to not (just) simply sell the same content again at a higher margin, or to maintain audio quality in streaming ecosystems: it is an outright land grab. It’s an attempt to control and extract revenue from every part of the supply chain, and not just over content that they hold the rights for."

Read the article for more.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Jim Collinson of Linn weighs in on the topic via an article just released online.

I am glad that he has taken the trouble to point out the obvious.

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

"MQA is an attempt to not (just) simply sell the same content again at a higher margin, or to maintain audio quality in streaming ecosystems: it is an outright land grab. It’s an attempt to control and extract revenue from every part of the supply chain, and not just over content that they hold the rights for."

Read the article for more.

The article has been sited here a number of times.

I Especially like the quote; "End customers, having paid a premium for MQA music via licensed content providers, will also have to buy MQA certified players at increased cost, with a license paid for each unit shipped". Not sure of you priced a Linn networked product lately but the DS streamers start at $3500. Compared to something like a MQA enabled device like a Bluesound Node2 at $499 or a MQA enabled Dac such as a Meridian Explorer2 at $200, you can see why one could take much of what Linn has to say on this with a grain of salt.

I happen to like Linn products. I do however think their cost has always been a barrier to their overall success in the marketplace and especially today with so many companies bringing better and better music streaming solutions to the market. For them to be that concerned about the profit stream that may or may not come to Meridian through MQA frankly feels a bit disingenuous as their brand has long espoused a closed "system" starting and ending with their products from source to loudspeaker even including the cables that tie the system together. Honestly, I think their just jealous that they weren't the ones that thought of this.

David

I happen to like Linn products. I do however think their cost has always been a barrier to their overall success in the marketplace and especially today with so many companies bringing better and better music streaming solutions to the market. For them to be that concerned about the profit stream that may or may not come to Meridian through MQA frankly feels a bit disingenuous as their brand has long espoused a closed "system" starting and ending with their products from source to loudspeaker even including the cables that tie the system together. Honestly, I think their just jealous that they weren't the ones that thought of this.
Absolute twaddle - have you actually never heard of the OpenHome Software Platform, aka UPnP with Linn extensions, nor even Linn Open Source Software?

OpenHome Platform

Linn Open Source Software

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox