vortecjr

Sonicorbiter - Multichannel

Rate this topic

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contains quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

I have been conducting some tests in order to get my hands around multichannel playback. Here are the results so far:

The following is based on tests conducted with a miniDSP UDAC-8 - asynchronous USB to 8 channel analog RCA converter. The DAC is capable of 8 channel @ 24/192kHz so no DSD tests have been conducted. I'm powering the DAC with my UpTone Audio LPS-1 power supply set to 5V and it sounds great considering the overall cost:

TESTED OUTPUT MODES

1. Roon / RoonReady output mode - confirmed

2. JRiver / MPD-DLNA output mode - confirmed

3. MPD direct with MPD controller - confirmed

4. Logitech Meda Server / SqueezeLite - busted, does not play

6. HQ Player / NAA - confirmed

DEVICE SHORT LIST

miniDSP UDAC-8 - confirmed

RME Fireface UCX - would be interesting to test

ExaSound multichannel DACs - busted, exaSound needs to provide Linux driver

KNOWN ISSUES

MPD is converting stereo into whatever number of channels your DAC supports. MPD does this by copying the stereo channels into the remains channels. Multichannel files appear to play fine with multichannel test file.

Jesus, I will commit to try the stacked Mytek solution with the microRendu sometime in the next week. No idea, though, as to Mytek's Linux relationship with the microRendu (stereo 192 DSD).

I'm not optimistic about that:) We support that device, but no clue what will happen with more than one in the loop. I though their driver for this was for ASIO?

I'm not optimistic about that:) We support that device, but no clue what will happen with more than one in the loop. I though their driver for this was for ASIO?

Agreed, yes ASIO is the channel mapper, etc. I simply thought I'd try it. Not holding breath.

I have been conducting some tests in order to get my hands around multichannel playback.
Cool.

Here are the results so far:

The following is based on tests conducted with a miniDSP UDAC-8 - asynchronous USB to 8 channel analog RCA converter. The DAC is capable of 8 channel @ 24/192kHz so no DSD tests have been conducted. I'm powering the DAC with my UpTone Audio LPS-1 power supply set to 5V and it sounds great considering the overall cost:

TESTED OUTPUT MODES

1. Roon / RoonReady output mode - not working, might bee supported on Roon 1.3

2. JRiver / MPD-DLNA output mode - confirmed

3. MPD direct with MPD controller - confirmed

4. Logitech Meda Server / SqueezeLite - pending test, not expected to work

6. HQ Player / NAA - pending test, should work

DEVIVE SHORT LIST

miniDSP UDAC-8 - confirmed

OK.
ExaSound multichannel DACs - busted, exaSound needs to provide Linux driver
Not busted. exa has chosen not to provide a Linux driver.

KNOWN ISSUES

MPD is converting stereo into whatever number of channels your DAC supports. MPD does this by copying the stereo channels into the remains channels.

That's unfortunate.

Multichannel files appear to play fine with multichannel test file.
What test files are you using?

Agreed, yes ASIO is the channel mapper, etc. I simply thought I'd try it. Not holding breath.

Linux will likely assign each an independent hardware address and then only play out of the first one based on the way the driver is known to work.

Yes, under Win. No driver is needed for MacOS which allows you to aggregate the three DACs into a single deivce. I do not know about Linux.

So if I purchase a SonicorbiterSE+UDAC8, and have JRiver running on my NAS...all of JRiver's DSP/Room Correction/Bass Management options will make it through the analog outputs of the UDAC8?

If so, I'd LOVE to chuck the humongous AV receiver I use only for audio, then run to small front and back amps for an ultra-compact 5.1 system.

So if I purchase a SonicorbiterSE+UDAC8, and have JRiver running on my NAS...all of JRiver's DSP/Room Correction/Bass Management options will make it through the analog outputs of the UDAC8?

If so, I'd LOVE to chuck the humongous AV receiver I use only for audio, then run to small front and back amps for an ultra-compact 5.1 system.

What JRiver does with local storage might be very different than what it does streaming via DLNA/UPnP. No DSP/Room Correction on MC22 with DLNA/UPnP streaming as far as I can tell. No clue what MC23 supports.

What JRiver does with local storage might be very different than what it does streaming via DLNA/UPnP. No DSP/Room Correction on MC22 with DLNA/UPnP streaming as far as I can tell. No clue what MC23 supports.

Ah, good to know - thanks.