IGNORED

Tidal MQA Albums

OMG, I have never heard Tina;s voice soooo good

Private Dancer

Check out Let's Stay Together

I am sooo happy I did not need to buy a disc,a download, a dac, a cable, a SACD player etc to get this SQ.

Are you using the software to decode MQA or do you have an MQA DAC?

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

I'm using a Meridian Explorer 2 which Tidal detects as an MQA device and it lights up with the blue "MQA studio" light regardless of whether or not the passthrough MQA option is enabled.

I own the Mozart Violin Concerto album from 2L MQA remaster which plays fine from JRiver and the DAC also detects as an MQA stream.

Off of Tidal I've been impressed so far with Led Zeppelin Black Mountain Side.

This little $200 USB DAC doesn't compete with my main DAC so comparisons are really apples to oranges of course. But I feel that yes the MQA sound is decidedly high-resolution.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I am more interested in music than audiophile qualities. I happened, however, to buy a Mytek Brooklyn a few days before the Tidal announcement. At the time, I was clear about what mqa was. I have a mini mac to Brooklyn to Leben 300cs. I do a lot of my listening with HD800. I am too impatient to do serious A-B testing, but the Coltrane Masters on tidal sound better than my rips from CDs on Media Center--most of the dimensions of the music are fuller, larger, cleaner. I don't know that the difference is enough to make much difference in the experience of the music if you are really listening, but it is nice to have. The Coltrane albums are worth listening to.

The Ray Charles/Milt Jackson album soul brothers was new to me, and it is a sweet album.

I am more interested in music than audiophile qualities. I happened, however, to buy a Mytek Brooklyn a few days before the Tidal announcement. At the time, I was clear about what mqa was. I have a mini mac to Brooklyn to Leben 300cs. I do a lot of my listening with HD800. I am too impatient to do serious A-B testing, but the Coltrane Masters on tidal sound better than my rips from CDs on Media Center--most of the dimensions of the music are fuller, larger, cleaner. I don't know that the difference is enough to make much difference in the experience of the music if you are really listening, but it is nice to have. The Coltrane albums are worth listening to.

The Ray Charles/Milt Jackson album soul brothers was new to me, and it is a sweet album.

I agree. I found myself listening to albums that were new or hadn't listened to in a long tine browsing through MQA material. Actually some of the albums that have been recommended by other members in this thread come to think of it :)

I saw Tina and the Ikettes several times when they were still on the local circuit around St Louis. Tina became famous when she toured with the Stones in 69. That was attitude far on the other side of sex. Pure feminine power and beauty. Unfortunately the early recording are mostly bad. Tina at Carnegie Hall gets it. Or there is this on YouTube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ZBYZZWJbk

Wow! Tina will be 80 next year.

Hi Guys - Let's use this thread to keep a running list of our favorite MQA albums streaming on Tidal.

Foreigner's first album.

MQA has brought to life textures on keyboards, guitars and choirs that I had never heard before. This was back when Foreigner had more musicians and singers and had a great balance of acoustic guitars, electric guitars and several singers.

Loving MQA!

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

Led Zeppelin In Through The Out Door (Remastered) is doing it for me this evening. MBP Sierra optical out to Moon 100D - 96kHz baby!

(Geez I need to update my sig. Been away for a while...)

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

Hi Guys - Let's use this thread to keep a running list of our favorite MQA albums streaming on Tidal.

There just isn't much there for me. At least, for now Herbert Von Karajan seems to be only conductor on offer and John Coltrane the only jazz musician. Though both of these men are giants in their chosen genre, they represent the slimmest of pickings.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

There just isn't much there for me. At least, for now Herbert Von Karajan seems to be only conductor on offer and John Coltrane the only jazz musician. Though both of these men are giants in their chosen genre, they represent the slimmest of pickings.

Herbie Hancock, Mingus, Miles Davis Billy Cobham, also represented. About 30 Maria Callas albums and lots of other miscellaneous newer Warner stuff on the classical side.IMG_20170120_163301.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FLAC -> Jplay-> Jkeny Mk3 -> Audio-GD Ref 5->Hornshoppe Truth -> Music Reference EM7-> Hornshoppe Horned Heils

Herbie Hancock, Mingus, Miles Davis Billy Cobham, also represented. About 30 Maria Callas albums and lots of other miscellaneous newer Warner stuff on the classical side.[ATTACH]32664[/ATTACH]

Must be new. Thanks.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

One has to hunt around beyond what's listed on the Masters tab.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to classical and jazz music in the Masters area. In terms of Tidal's general catalog, I'm quite satisfied with its depth in these genre.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to classical and jazz music in the Masters area. In terms of Tidal's general catalog, I'm quite satisfied with its depth in these genre.

These are Masters I mentioned .There are over 1000 now available, most are simply not listed in the What's New - Masters area

FLAC -> Jplay-> Jkeny Mk3 -> Audio-GD Ref 5->Hornshoppe Truth -> Music Reference EM7-> Hornshoppe Horned Heils

These are Masters I mentioned .There are over 1000 now available, most are simply not listed in the What's New - Masters area

Gotcha!

Gotcha!

Has anyone figured out how to search for ALL albums that are available as Masters? It is really random and annoying that not all of them are listed in the What's New -> Masters tab. Very user unfriendly.

Any tips will be appreciated! Or should we send a complaint / request to Tidal to fix this?

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

Has anyone figured out how to search for ALL albums that are available as Masters? It is really random and annoying that not all of them are listed in the What's New -> Masters tab. Very user unfriendly.

Any tips will be appreciated! Or should we send a complaint / request to Tidal to fix this?

I believe they're aware of the need to be able to search for and identify MQA albums independent of the app being used to access Tidal. Their announcement stated "Initially this functionality will only be available on desktop" implying that it would be rolled out in time to be accessible in other apps. I would also think they need to come up with a visual indicatoror icon of some type so when looking at album art it would be easy to identify the MQA release from others.

I believe they're aware of the need to be able to search for and identify MQA albums independent of the app being used to access Tidal. Their announcement stated "Initially this functionality will only be available on desktop" implying that it would be rolled out in time to be accessible in other apps. I would also think they need to come up with a visual indicatoror icon of some type so when looking at album art it would be easy to identify the MQA release from others.

Thanks for the reply. This is helpful background. I totally agree that they somehow need to identify which albums are MQA and which ones are regular HiFi. The only way to know today is to actually play a song and look at the label on the bottom right - not very efficient.

I would think this is a very simple functionality to incorporate into Tidal. They already did the hard part which is to make the MQA decoder available. I guess I can't complain too much, as I am truly enjoying the sound quality on the MQA albums that they have made available already.

Thanks for the reply. This is helpful background. I totally agree that they somehow need to identify which albums are MQA and which ones are regular HiFi. The only way to know today is to actually play a song and look at the label on the bottom right - not very efficient.

I would think this is a very simple functionality to incorporate into Tidal. They already did the hard part which is to make the MQA decoder available. I guess I can't complain too much, as I am truly enjoying the sound quality on the MQA albums that they have made available already.

And at no additional cost for HiFi subscribers, now hopefully it will stay that way!