IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

31 minutes ago, lucretius said:

According to Wikipedia, Lucky and Goldstar merged and formed Lucky-GoldStar in 1958.   In 1995 the Lucky-GoldStar Corporation was renamed "LG".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Corporation

... which seems to conflict with this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Electronics

You can't always trust Wikipedia.

While i completely agree that you can't always trust Wikipedia (especially when it comes to politics or history), something as simple as the history of a company shouldn't be that controversial. EDIT: Yes, there are discrepancies. "Corporation" says that GoldStar was founded in 1952 and merged with Lucky in 1958, while "Electronics" says that GoldStar was founded in 1958 and merged with Lucky in 1995.

Apparently something as simple as the history of a foreign company can be completely screwed up by Wikipedia...

Apologies to all!

calvin-hobbes_bridge.jpg

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

14 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Different timelines:

You are correct - I was editing my post while you were making a new one. I can see that Fokus must have been looking at the "Electronics" entry. I can't see how it could be that hard to have two articles actually agree with each other. Surely someone in the world knows the right answer. Perhaps if one read Korean they could find out at Wikipedia.kr... :)

EDIT: None of this changes my point that I still think that Astell & Kern was selected as a deliberately deceptive name, just as the example of the Chinese TVs being sold under the "Bush" brand name (means nothing in the US, but apparently was big in the UK). Please note that LG purchased the Zenith brand name. I still remember their slogan from when their TV sets were all tubes, wired point-to-point by hand in the US - "The quality goes in before the name goes on".

2nd EDIT: Who said that advertising (programming) doesn't work?

Charles Hansen

6 hours ago, psjug said:

I have a pair of Usher V601 speakers.  I love how they sound and they did not cost very much.  Usher is Taiwanese, and they get a hand with engineering from Joe D'Appolito (at least that's my understanding).  So not mainland Chinese, but I don't see any reason a mainland chinese audio company would not be accepted if they did similar.  With or without without western collaboration, as long as the product is solid.

One thing that left a really bad taste in my mouth with Usher was their deceptive advertising practices. The had a stand mount monitor called the "Dancer" or "Tiny Dancer". It was claimed to have a 1" beryllium dome tweeter and engraved on the metal faceplate was a large "Be" the chemical symbol for beryllium. Be offers many performance advantages over virtually all dome materials, but is quite expensive.

It turned out that it was a flat out lie, and the dome was simply painted titanium (about 1/20 the cost). I'm unimpressed with the corporate culture that disrespects its customers so blatantly. YMMV.

Charles Hansen

3 hours ago, maxijazz said:

Support for FLAC in iOS11 is from iPhone 7 up. 

But I agree with sentiment, in general. 

That is not what I read from an official Apple press release. But they are free to do anything they want to try to induce you to upgrade, obviously. Perhaps they changed their mind? I really don't know. The article I saw said that iOS 11 was ready for all phone with 64-bit processors, but not yet for iPads with the same processor. Keep 'em confused...  :)

Charles Hansen

2 hours ago, Indydan said:

Mr. Hansen, I enjoy reading your posts, and I appreciate Ayre components. I am fortunate to have a dealer within walking distance from my home who sells Ayre, as well as Shunyata gear. I don't know Caelin Gabriel personally, but I have communicated with him on What's best forum a few times. Mr. Gabriel is a straight shooter. There is no deception on his part in choosing his company's name, nor in his technology. I consider myself to be a discerning person, and I do a lot of research and demo gear before I buy. I can say from experience, that Shunyata gear is worth it. 

Many cable companies create a marketing mystique around their cables. Shunyata does not. They are the company that best explains in technological terms why cables make a difference. My dealer only carries brands and equipment that are worthwhile and works, while being priced accordingly with regards to their performance. I know a good number of brands that tried to get this dealer to carry their products, only to be refused after the employees of the dealer tried out their stuff. And yes, Meridian tried hard recently to get this dealer to sell its gear. They were politely refused (after the dealer tried out its gear). 

I am sure that you know the people at my dealer. They will certainly vouch for Shunyata products if you speak to them.  I say this with respect, and with humour; Mr. Gabriel, like yourself, seems to not be shy about expressing his opinions. Maybe the two of you could have an online debate. It would be popcorn worthy no doubt!

I have linked a video in which Mr. Gabriel explains one of his concepts, DTCD. I would enjoy reading your comments about this concept if you care to offer your insights and opinion.

It's an interesting idea. And pretty much every cable company has their philosophy they espouse. The vast majority of them make some sort of sense, in at least a "hand-waving" way. However the linked video seemed to imply the "DTCD" was far and away the single most important parameter.

That always sets off alarm bells for me. I have "designed" some cables that Cardas made to Ayre's specifications, and my experience is somewhat different in that I find many, many factors will affect the "sound" of a cable.

One of my biggest gripes with cable companies is that they are almost universally designed to sound "impressive" and "spectacular" in a quick 5 minute back-and-forth demo at your dealer. This simply does not work for me. For example with power conditioners, I have found that the only reliable test is to put into your system for at least 3 weeks. This allows it to fully break in and for you to become accustomed to the sound.

It's only when you REMOVE the PLC that you can get a clear picture of how it helps and how it harms.

The other ridiculous thing is the pricing. I find it extremely hard to believe that any pari of speaker cables is worth as much as a pair of our top=-line monoblock amps. I've built some prototypes of interconnects and speaker cables tat would retail for between $300 and $500 that are simply the best sounding cables I've every used. (And no, I don't think they would do especially well on the DTCD test. :)

Cheers!

PS - Full disclosure - I've never tried any Shunyata cables. It is possible that they would become my new favorites. But my experience has always been the opposite - when I listen to the latest "must-have" cables, I am always left unimpressed overall. There will be certain aspects of their performance whereby I can understand how someone would be impressed, but I could never live with them long term.

Charles Hansen

5 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post but for what it’s worth, my iPad Air 2 has a 64 bit processor and is running iOS 11.0.3. 

My understanding is that you should be able to import a FLAC file and play it merely by double-clicking (or whatever non-intuitive "gesture" Apple now uses). Can you play FLAC files now without the assistance of a 3rd-part app?

Thanks!

Charles Hansen

2 hours ago, rickca said:

This quote is from a recent John Darko article:

“No MQA, No Deal”

Wow!  Where does he get this crap?  MQA is just making stuff up,  it's alternative facts.  This is what sales guys call a presumptive close.

Great question! With TAS we are almost certain it was pure bribery. With Stereophile it is becoming clearer and clearer that JA considers Bob Stuart to be one of his "heroes", so when given a deliberately deceptive demo fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

But with Darko I don't know. I've pushed back on him many times via private e-mail correspondence. It is likely one of the above (or a combination). but I don't know which.

Charles Hansen

1 hour ago, Tony Lauck said:

Cut me out when it has anything to do with Dolby.

As far as I am concerned, Dolby was an evil force on audio, but made a lot of money.  And my take on MQA is that it is an ill-advised attempt to create negative technology in another "get rich quick" scam.

Hi Tony,

Agree 100%. The problem with Dolby is that unlike the "purist" approach that John Curl started with his JC-2 preamp for Mark Levinson - the first commercial preamp in the world to drop tone controls (and "loudness buttons"), Dolby noise reduction schemes sent the analog signal through a horribly complex maze of additional circuitry and filters. All else being equal, a simpler signal path is going to sound better than a long convoluted one - especially when Dolby B was implemented on consumer-grade tape decks with ICs and terrible-sounding capacitors.

Even in the pro world where Dolby A was used (with four separate bands of compansion rather than the single band of Dolby B used for consumer products), I know of at least one recording that was made with a pro deck using Dolby A. When the artist heard it played back he was horrified by the poor sound quality.  The only thing that could be done at that point was to play back those tracks (a complete symphony orchestra!) without the Dolby engaged on the playback side. Even though this caused measurable errors in the frequency response versus level and strange frequency-related compression artifacts, the artist felt that it was better to leave it like that than add another layer of horrible sounding Dolby circuitry to those tracks (which subsequently were part of the overall mix of many other instruments and vocals).

Charles Hansen

12 minutes ago, labjr said:

Yeah,  Darko suddenly flipped one day like someone got to him. Maybe he took an immunity deal. :P I don't read his blog anymore for various reasons. I noticed he was censoring everything and deleting parts of my posts. I'm Done.

Interesting that he would censor your posts. I've no idea what they were about. But it is equally interesting that any time there was any mention of MQA, (paid?) fanboy Peter Veth would make dozens of comments on the article, which Darko had no problem publishing.

Which of your viewpoints was Darko trying to suppress?

Charles Hansen

16 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Actually I believe that MQA was at least in part aimed exactly at the cell-phone market. Namely at Apple and Google which dominate this market - everybody else is also-runs loosing money.

Apple & Google not only sell phones and their operating systems, they provide platforms where music-streaming is part of the consumption-options. As such they basically control access to more than 90% of the listeners and certainly a sizeable chunk of the profits. The coming wave of smart-speakers will only extend this reach.

The labels are at their mercy. 

It could have worked if they didn't had it botched so badly with their "let's punk the audiophiles-first" marketing strategy.

Actually Apple and Google also lose money by streaming if you look at that business in isolation. But there are other offsetting compensations that allow Apple and Google to make money in other ways.

As an example, even though the music industry completely screwed themselves by giving 30% of the profit to Apple, and then allowing Apple to sell the individual songs on every album at 1/12 the album price (the old model in the days of vinyl was to sell the best song and a "throw-away" together for 1/4" of the album price, and if you wanted more songs than that you had to buy the entire album), Apple never made any money directly from iTunes.

Instead, iTunes was just a way to sell highly profitable iPods, which in turn pushed people towards buying highly profitable Mac computers, and highly profitable iPads. It's the exact same business mode where updates to the operating system are "free". Since the Mac OS only runs on Apple products,  they use it as a loss-leader to boost sales of their other highly profitable products.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, at the present times the labels are at the mercy of the tech companies - first through the sales of downloads, and even more so through streaming. Currently over half the revenue of the record labels comes from royalties through streaming. YouTube (aka Google aka Alphabet) currently pays billions to the labels for all of the music that is streamed at 126kb/s (not 128 - I don't know why) on YouTube - which is pretty much everything out there except for a handful of artists (not record labels) who have demanded YouTube remove their copyrighted material.

The details of the real story are incredibly complex, but the basis of it is very simple -  money and greed.

By the way, I know for a fact that Google (at least) is completely and totally anti-MQA. So if either Bob Stuart - or even the record labels - think they can push MQA through, when Google is opposed, then Bob Stuart (and the labels) are deluding themselves. Unless the record labels think that they can live without the billions in revenue they currently receive from Google. I would assume that Apple's position is similar to Google's.

In a way it would be great for the record label to be independent of the tech giants. But if it comes at the cost of adding MQA to the mix, it's not worth it to me, at least. Google and Apple sell crap to people who don't care about quality. MQA removes quality and there is a strong potential that the record labels would stop making non-DRM'ed high-res (or even Redbook quality) files available if MQA ever becomes successful.

But at this point I don't think we have to worry. Google has been monitoring the situation fairly closely. Their assessment (particularly after the latest AES convention) is that MQA has already failed. Dead. Done. Not worth even worrying about. Interesting, eh?

Charles Hansen

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

MQA was at first going to be used as the solution for Pono. Not sure what problem this solution addressed, but the team at Pono (when real businessmen ran the company, not Neil Young or his industry chronies) decided MQA didn't make sense.

Sources for this story, please?

Thanks!

Charles Hansen

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, synn said:

Yes, I read about that as well. I really hope that the delay has to do with getting the licensing sorted out rather than because of a lack of interest from the test group.

I cannot believe that this concept is so hard for people to understand. The only reason Spotify exists is to make money. When they run a test (such as they did with the lossless streaming), they simply crunch the numbers and see if the added costs of both storage and streaming more data are higher or lower than the money they will make by adding a new feature.

Since they have run the trial and not switched, it is 100% clear that streaming in lossless is currently a money-losing proposition compared with streaming in lossy. What is so hard about that to understand?

Charles Hansen

26 minutes ago, synn said:

MQA is still making very little buzz over here in Europe. No one i know is talking about it and the Hi-Fi shops are still putting good old stuff in the forefront.

What country do you live in? MQA is trying to establish a European "beachhead" in the Netherlands, but I don't think they are making very much progress.

i was in the market for a network streamer a little while ago and I emailed Onkyo/ Pioneer Europe if they have any plans to offer MQA deciding in their current range of network players. The answer I got was that they currently have no plans. That’s interesting because they are both fully paid up members. So far, all that they have offered are rebranded versions of a portable player.

I am unaware of either Pioneer or Onkyo making rebranded anythings. Can you please specify the model of portable player  Pioneer/Onkyo is selling in Europe, and who the actual OEM manufacturer is?

Either the PMPs are about “Testing the waters” to see if MQA sticks or they are planning to release “All new” versions of the network streamers with MQA.

Another reason I dislike the internet. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what "PMP" stood for. I even looked on an internet slang dictionary and found "Peed My Pants", "Practice Makes Perfect", "Poor Man's Pizza", and "Poor Man's Porsche". It wasn't until I was typing the above paragraph that I realized you meant "Portable Music Player". As I've said before, I'm not particularly quick-witted, but usually figure out things when given enough time.

EDIT: PS - No, they are not planning to release "All new" versions. They are only "testing the waters". Just look at when DVD was first released. All of the movie studios (more then than now, due to US government relaxation of anti-monopoly policies) released titles to "test the waters". Pretty much every release made lots of money, so within a few years there were tens of thousands of titles.  Contrast this to any other failed format, such as DVD-Audio, SACD, or MQA. All of the big companies that are driven solely by profit (eg, public and greedy private) stopped. The only companies making SACDs are tiny private ones, serving a niche market, and dedicated to quality over profit.

Charles Hansen

7 minutes ago, synn said:

what I meant by rebranded is that Pioneer’s hifi business is owned by Onkyo now, so they are selling the same device with their respective brand names and slightly different designs.

Thanks for clarifying - that makes perfect sense, given the current situation.

10 minutes ago, synn said:

i am in Germany, no MQA waves here so far.

Very interesting information, given that:

1) Germany is the largest market for almost everything (including audio) in Europe.

2) Not too long ago, Digital Audio Review relocated from Australia to Berlin, and that website has also been promoting MQA (although still in the English language. (www.digitalaudioreview.net).

Charles Hansen