IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

And speaking of insulting the intelligence..it is one thing to swallow Atkinson's, Lavorgna, and Austin's coverage of MQA, but Reichert and Fremer's write ups were perhaps the most embarrassing episodes in the history of print audio.

At least the others have an understanding of computer audio but Reichert ("Who wouldn't want MQA?") and Fremer ("If MQA was around 30 years ago I would have been all in on digital)" were beyond shameful.

Kalman Rubinson the same, and too bad, because he seems like a very nice man. And a scientist to boot.....

4 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

The 48kHz sampling rate is, to the best of my knowledge, the maximum lossless rate - everything else is "unfolded," which as already discussed here, is not lossless.

As for the old CD player/DAC issue, you can repeat variants of your assertion as many times as you want, but it doesn't make it any truer.

Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but I understand 48 is the maximum frequency MQA is capable of, hence a 96 Khz sample rate.

3 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

MQA/Bob isn't stupid, calling it a second unfold is brilliant it's the only way to sell it to audiophiles, if they said first unfold second upsample it would be blatantly obvious it was lossless and steer the fools away.

If you say it enough the magazine reviewers will believe it.

No, they don't believe. They regurgitate it.

The other major MQA shill at Stereophile, is starting his CES reports with as many mentions of MQA as possible.

He is painting the rosiest picture possible.  It seems he is buying the notion that phones are the "gate way" to high res. Yeh ok.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ces-begins-hi-res-revelations-mqa-qobuz-and-more

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mobile-mqa-playback-lg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-expands-its-reach

I love the line, "Qobuz hasn't seen fit" to endorse and use MQA..."yet"...

2 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Smartphones are the trojan horse here.  Sell the catalog depth and convenience to gain customers then MQA goes along for the ride.  This is the point I made in my article.  

Hirez interest is small which is why you can't go the other way by building a SACD or DVD-Audio disc then trying to gain consumer attention.

MQA and the labels are betting, and I think rightly so, that the best way to attract customer is through convenience.  My guess is a strong manager at Universal may not know how many "hirez" subscriptions he will sell nor will he care as long as he gets enough annuity income via monthly subscriptions.

Do your Rose Coloured Glasses have a large MQA logo on them?

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm actually surprised Hoffman is letting Scoggins take such a beating over there.  The fact that MQA apologists can find no quarter on audio forums is a hopeful sign.  :)

Every forum needs someone to play the virtual "Village Idiot". He seems happy to do it. His posts are so disingenuous, it defies comprehension.

If  I didn't know better, he probably thinks MQA is garbage and is just hoping Uncle Bob and MQA hire him as consultant. Consultants in my book are the wretches of the business world. Parasites that drain shareholder value like nobody's business. They can get behind the most absurd buzzwords and ridiculous business plans with a straight face all the while draining company coffers with a smile.