IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

It you set your Tidal to HiFi, you should get the red book version and not Master, even though the red book version doesn’t show up as an available option.

Maybe time to stop getting angry at Tidal ?

That wasn't my experience. What's your source for this claim?

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, jmsent said:

Good luck trying to "cancel" Tidal. I  "cancelled" my subscription in July of 2019. Suddenly last Friday, I see a PayPal notification that "I had sent a payment to Tidal".  Huh?? Contacted Tidal support and explained what happened. It took till Wednesday for a reply, and of course, they take no responsibility, just referring me to their TOS, claiming someone must have had unauthorized access to my account. And of course a refund wasn't going to come from them.  And here I thought "cancel" meant "cancel". Maybe this is SOP for streaming services, but wouldn't it make sense to at least send an email requiring confirmation of account reactivation before charging the account? Or how about just requiring re-registration to reactivate an account? 

The day I decided to quit I tried to remove my credit card info from my Tidal account, but it was not possible. I did manage to update my card profile with an incorrect expiration date and CVV code. I haven't seen a charge from Tidal since then.

I never use PayPal. I've heard bad stories about PP from both buyers and sellers. The credit card companies are always willing to answer the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

Gee, is anybody going to run out and get those new MQA CDs now offered for the low, low sum of $40.00 from Blue Coast records?

MQD, not MQA CD:

Master Quality Disc (MQD) 24k Gold Redbook CD

EDIT:

Apologies to JoeWhip after reading Chris' post below.

• 5 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, StephenJK said:

Who know the type of pressure that could have been brought to bear against Tidal by the music labels?  It’s not hard to imagine a conversation where someone says “We’re agreed then, all highres tracks will be MQA versions.”

But it's not just high resolution, it's CD resolution tracks too. Tidal actively promotes MQA as "the best" sound. When I cancelled my membership I told them it was because Warner had replaced all CD albums with MQA versions. A month later Tidal sent me a "please come back" email, touting MQA as a reason I should be interested. So it's more than just pressure from the music labels.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, JoshM said:

After some experimenting, I found that the MQA dropouts occurred because I have an Ideon USB isolator between my Mac Mini and DACs. When I removed the isolator, the dropouts stopped.

Sorry, I think this says more about USB "isolators" than it does about MQA. However, at least USB gadgets are easy to avoid and don't try to extract pennies from every musical transaction.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I bought any downloads at ca.7digital.com. I visited the site today to see if they're still around. They are, and interestingly enough they appear to have removed all their MQA content. Years ago I asked if the format filters could persist once selected, as I would never buy any MQA downloads. They ignored the request and the filters are still there, but if you check only MQA and MQA Studio every search (even for something generic like "Beethoven") returns "Sorry, your search returned no results."

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...