IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

- 'they have a bias in the direction of "the industry" that is anti-consumer.' Proof? Don't they earn their money by serving the consumer and isn't that the public they are writing for?

I don't know the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if ad revenue was greater than subscription/sales revenue at this point.

After reading many long threads, it strikes me that something very important is not being said (or said clearly enough): MQA isn't wrong because it could potentially contain DRM. Or because its acoustic benefits are, at best, subtle. It's dangerous because it's proprietary.

This concern is obvious and undeniable. MQA attempts to replace well-accepted open data formats with a proprietary format - to replace lossless formats with a lossy one - mainly so that one company can grow rich by charging everyone a lucrative toll, forever. Presented as a total replacement for existing formats at both high- and low-end, MQA isn't simply a technical innovation. It's a cancer that becomes valuable only to the extent that it can take over the market.

Closed ecosystems are beneficial to the profit picture, but always anti-consumer. Open formats give consumers the control they deserve. And open formats are the only protection against a corporate ratchet effect, that slowly erodes consumer benefits. (Examples are endless. Look at UHD Blu-ray - a worthwhile evolution, in theory, it's being used to roll out always-on Internet copy-protection. But it's not just about DRM. You can't effectively embed advertising in an open format, for example. For industry, the ideal format is one that breaks when you try to edit out the ads.)

As consumers and music fans, we need to realize that whatever the up-front benefits of MQA, we are not the target customers. MQA lives or dies according to its acceptance by the recording and distribution industry. This handful of large companies can arbitrarily decide to make MQA the standard. They have massive long-term motivation to do so, absent any strong signs that the consuming public would rebel. In other words, we don't have to sound thrilled about MQA; all we have to do is fail to actively oppose it. The industry is just starting to realize what a wonderful thing MQA would be - for them.

High bitrates and low noise are all very well, but, next to the air between a musician and audience, it's open formats that present the lowest barrier to transmission.

Happy listening.

Very well said.

I absolutely consider the restriction on MQA to be a form of DRM.

Any audio file that I am unable to convert to another format and play back at full resolution, I consider to have DRM.

It's fine for streaming but I wouldn't buy an album in MQA unless it was the only option, and that in and of itself would be a pretty strong deterrent.

I would definitely buy straight up redbook before I would buy MQA.

So you consider *any* lossy format (e.g., MP3, AAC, WMA) or lossy transform (e.g., PCM <> DSD) to be a form of DRM? I think we're getting a bit hysterical about "DRM" :/

Nope, what I meant was the full resolution of the file I'm converting from. I could convert any of those lossy formats to FLAC or ALAC, and I wouldn't lose any resolution.

If I buy an album in MQA and then MQA DACs go off the market, I have no way of ever listening to those files at full resolution again.

DSD <> PCM is a flawed analogy. MQA is based on PCM, and could be converted to PCM without further loss were it not for their restrictions.

Now can someone explain to me, is there any way to see the DRM restrictions in these MQA files that Tidal is supposed to be offering their paying Hi-Fi users. I understand I can't play a full MQA file on a non certified DAC, but how is it we can still play part of the file. IS it those same restrictions that is preventing a full MQA presence.

Sure, you can play the files as long as you are a paid TIDAL Hi-Fi subscriber. The fear is that MQA is angling to replace hi-res PCM, so your only choices for listening to hi-res would be subscribing to a premium streaming service or downloading MQA files and playing them back on a certified DAC.

MQA gets paid at least twice in either scenario.

My question - what basis is there for a belief that MQA will be the *only* source for hi-res?

Just that I believe that any for-profit corporation would prefer to corner whatever market they are in to maximize their own revenues.

I'm sure that MQA would love for people to go gonzo over the sound quality on TIDAL so that they have leverage to sign up the other streaming services and labels.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that MQA wants to corner the market? If so, I would say that current events more than suggest this is not the case.

Another question - do you think MQA has more influence than Pandora and Rhapsody with the record labels?

What current events? I think they are just getting their foot in the door at this point, but why wouldn't they want to expand their marketshare?

Labels and codec providers are two different animals. The other streaming services may be willing to renegotiate their agreements with the content providers if they think that MQA would save them on bandwidth, or perhaps if the MQA brand would bring them more customers.

I think I understand my disconnect. The concern with MQA is the idea that they may become the de-facto standard for hi-res some day because the big three record labels may eventually realize that MQA offers them more control of downloads.

And, if we recognize this eventuality, we can do something about it today.

Is this correct? If so, what can *we* do to make sure this will not happen?

Yes, this is exactly it, and I think we collectively need to make it clear that while MQA may be a great streaming technology, we would like to have the option of downloading hi-res PCM/DSD. I buy at least 50 albums a year in lossless FLAC, and I will always want to own my favorite albums.

As you have already stated, though, the audiophile voice is a shrinking commodity.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that Onkyo Music is now offering two MQA versions of the same titles, one high-res and one redbook, and at different price points.

MQA24.png

MQA16.png

If the purported purpose of MQA is to deliver "music just as it was recorded in the studio; an audio experience as the artist intended," then why offer a downgraded version?

Similarly, why would anyone want to buy a lesser version of "master quality," particularly one with a lossy codec that I assume has essentially the same bitrate as the lossless redbook offering?

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, rickca said:

I bet there are lots of dealers out there just like him, naive and uninformed.

I bet there are lots of dealers out there who want all of their customers to upgrade to MQA-capable DACs.

My local dealer is really a vinyl guy. He sells Brooklyn DACs and I think their ads mention it as a feature, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard him mention MQA in person.

11 minutes ago, Jud said:

Lee, you have a history (well OK, one example - LHL crowdfunding) of being oblivious to the dangers others point out in the financial machinations of the audio and music industry.  The danger here is the potential to rather easily cut off the supply of non-MQA RedBook and hi res for those of us who prefer it.

I still mostly buy the music that I like, either CD or hi-res downloads, but MQA exclusivity would be the nail in the coffin for me. I would just switch to streaming if the titles I wanted were only available in MQA. Perhaps that's what the music labels want, but I'm already paying for Tidal AND buying CDs and downloads.