IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

18 hours ago, danadam said:

It depends what you mean by "MQA tags". If you mean the bitstream instructions that make the mqa-capable DAC's LED light up, then yes. If you mean the FLAC tags related to MQA, like:

ENCODER=MQAEncode v1.1, 2.3.3+862 (3fe8af8), DF77A107-A71F-4E57-A322-872C6D0E99C8, Jan 01 2018 01:09:00
MQAENCODER=MQAEncode v1.1, 2.3.3+862 (3fe8af8), DF77A107-A71F-4E57-A322-872C6D0E99C8, Jan 01 2018 01:09:00
ORIGINALSAMPLERATE=352800

then usually no.

In this case the bitstream instructions are lost too.

Merci.

So If understand you correctly, converting an MQA album to Mp3 or AAC, then loading it into Roon, you would not see the "MQA Badge"...?

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me, but after parsing through this thread, isn't the quote below pure merde?

spacer.png

"When music is playing, the EVO's screen displays, along with the album cover, the song and album titles, the artist's name, the stream resolution, the file format, the track's total and elapsed time, and—if the track is MQA—the MQA logo accompanied by either a green or a blue dot indicating whether that MQA recording is engineer- or artist-approved (blue, "MQA Studio"). If the dot is green, it means that the file being streamed is intact MQA, but it may not be the most recent or definitive version of the recording.

I got a kick out of seeing my first blue authentication dot. I thought: "This recording is the real deal!" It appeared on the 24/192 MQA version of John Coltrane's cover of "My Favorite Things" (Atlantic/Qobuz) which I heard after I'd heard that same track on a green-lighted 16/44.1 MQA mix."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-evo-150-streaming-integrated-amplifier

• 2 months later...

Good evening gents:

This interview with the current Editor of Stereophile is intriguing. 

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-1134&lang=en

"But I'm pretty convinced at this point that high-resolution digital – let us say 24/192 PCM and certainly DXD – is capable of total transparency, at least for me. Maybe others can detect a sonic signature – but play me an exquisitely made 24/192 needle drop and I can't distinguish it from the original vinyl. To me, high-res digital is a (potentially) transparent container for music, with no sound of its own, while vinyl is a true medium that has a particular sound."

If this is SO..and and 24/192 PCM is totally transparent, why does speak out of the other side of his mouth about why MQA is valid?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, wdw said:

Attempted to add this comment to J. Austen's article on the  CH SACD/CD player but it appears I may have been ?

871759145_ScreenShot2022-02-16at7_24_47PM.thumb.png.dafa1da5af2ad02c8a65507e09f89cff.png

Sure some readers will roll their heads at this mention, assuming we are just a rabble of crazy dissenters, but I must ask...what does B.Stuart have on you guys?   
MQA is finished and has been thoroughly rejected by the majority of listeners for many reasons the strongest being the disagreement as to suggested audio improvement but the other, most importantly,  their pathetic attempt at some quasi monopoly on the public music market.  
You, Jason and, say, Robert Harley always make a concerted attempt to review the MQA portion of the piece at hand when, lets say 0.00003 percent of the listening public know about it and more importantly the ones that do largely reject it  (I own a dCS DAC quite capable of rendering MQA)  
That the you, Jason and Robert Harley offer these unusual and oddly abnormal pieties to MQA is baffling and suggests, to me, something Trumpian, 
(ie: his apparent complicity with Putin which if not true is so odd as to be ridiculous)
Hence, what are you doing? 
MQA represents an attack on the free market of file exchange and musical listening...this was a battle we have, at least if you are my age, lived through when S. Jobs fought and won against extraordinary opposition to open up the digital music market.  
MQA is the polar opposite of his struggle and for what ever marginal benefit you evangelists are advocating, it should be rejected out of hand. 
If anyone is dull-witted enough to simply state that one can simply not listen to MQA aren't bringing the requisite  resources to the party.
Look at your AV gear and simply acknowledge all the proprietary codec the developer must support with licensing fees to see the hidden cost we must bear whether used or not.  This bundle of licensing killed innovation in the video industry.

"Well, the last comment learned from C. Hanson on this very site"

Utterly preposterous. It boggles the mind that this dreck can appear in a print magazine in 2022.O.o

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, jcbenten said:

Schiit, Ayre, Linn, maybe a couple of others, mentioned loud and clear just after MQA release that they were not interested.  No follow ups that I have read.

Let's not forget Bryston, McIntosh, Benchmark, and a host of others who have not only rejected MCA (Master Crap Audio), but have spoken out publicly. McIntosh even called it added "distortion". >:(

MCA has separated the engineering driven companies from the marketing driven companies. Guess which one I give my Euros to!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...