IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

16 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

Uh! ~ I was talking about my synology NAS 218+, not a NUC?

Well the discussion was based around NUC and the benefits of removing it from its case and using an Akasa fanless one. Temps dropped more than 10 degrees. As well as improvements to sound quality, mentioned by quite a few posters.

7 minutes ago, mourip said:

It seems like most of the folks who gravitate to this thread are of the school " If it sounds good and measures poorly then you are measuring the wrong thing." and it's corollary " If it measures great and sounds bad ...then why would you listen to it." ? 

Good design measures good and sounds good. It gets to a stage where the lowest /best measurements don't automatically give you the best sound quality because there are many variables as to component choice. A serious amount of listening needs to accompany measurements. Also you need to be sure that what you are measuring is relevant eg. a poor measurement does not automatically mean a bad product as there are a lot of compromises  and trade offs involved.

39 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

My DAC is the Audionote 2.1. This famously measures poorly; and yet I would say it is well designed and sounds GREAT.

Its an exceptional example of compromise where the designer has knowingly chosen a component or technique based on sound quality, its unlikely to measure badly in every respect.

A lot is spoken here of power supplies, even taking a simple component as a diode, each has its own sound signature. Shottky's measure well and have a low voltage drop and are used in the  best PS designs. You can however get better measurements using a mosfet diode bridge a lower voltage drop and more efficient design less heat dissipation and more efficient use of transformers. Therefore which is better?

Then we can move on to capacitors, resistors, regulators, transformer design, etc, etc. Compromises need to be made as there is also a budget to consider.

Therefore when a reviewer with a bit of technical knowledge sticks his  reviewerscope on the end of a carefully designed component, it doesn't always give a complete picture.

1 minute ago, mourip said:

So I am now very far behind and even skipped a step. Are folks still using NIC bridging as their default setup or have later discoveries superseded/eclipsed it?

Set up a bridge in audiolinux on my server here, my motherboard has the advantage of 2 ethernet ports clocked by an sclk-ex. NUC as endpoint. Works pretty well and is an improvement over endpoint connecting via my netgear gs105. Would like to try wireless connection next, to compare. would be nice if these latest NUC's had dual ethernet ports.

14 minutes ago, Advieira said:

But if HMS buffers the bits and with powerful algorithms massively upsample the signal, all which is behind it have no impact anymore, clocks for sure, maybe ground loops not. Its make sense and thats what Rob Watts told us at Head-fi.

Buffering is not fool proof, there is no mechanism to check that all the bits have arrived correctly, without any distortion or variation to the signal. It just ensures the equipment is more immune to such distortion.

Taken to the extreme:

If you upsample cr&&p, you get upsampled cr&&p.

If you upsample from a cheap laptop/ poor power supply against good server you will hear the difference

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, rickca said:

Thanks.  So if I install LMS on my Windows 10 machine and I want my NUC to be the renderer, can I still leave an instance of LMS installed on my NUC? 

You can leave LMS on your NUC just don't activate it, just start up squeezelite on the NUC, the only running audio service on the NUC should be squeezelite and on the server LMS.

LMS is pretty straight forward to setup and will find squeezelite. Ipeng should communicate with any compatible server including LMS.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, dctom said:

Considering building a new machine based on a supermicro X10SBA-L  running linux, using an external PS. Does anyone know if the built in cpu would have enough power to run HQplayer or jriver?

It can run both fine but no heavy DSD upsampling, so best to go for a bigger processor/ board, if you need that feature.

1 minute ago, valveboy said:

so, it's a case of "try it and see"?

Then tell others your findings on here?

If you parallel LT3045's you lower the noisefloor tenfold, but if you them in series, which is the suggestion, the noisefloor could theoretically be reduced one hundred fold. 

But theories are theories and need to be tested, as regulators have their own sound signatures.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, RickyV said:

I have ideas of putting a neutron star on my nuc7i7 in the same case.

That would be the best, I agree with @sunny_time_99 the entire circuit is important especially the power supply.

I think you could use a single Neutron star clock board @25Mhz for the lan and system/usb 24/25mhz, I believe this is the way its done with the DS1 streamer, a single OCXO board.

Heres an alternative to the Neutron star and there is a fitting service if of interest, there are also some nice regulator and power supply designs.

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/c4-low-jitter-uber-clock-fitted-3989-p.asp

12 minutes ago, RickyV said:

If the CPU clock is 24Mhz I can't supply it with 25Mhz, can I???

Yes, it depends on the chipset if its compatible, I think thats how its done on the DS1 and that uses a NUC7PJYH but is available with your board as an option. I think @austinpop would know more as he has/had one.

The neutrino should be a big improvement over the standard clocks but if the Neutron star has 2 outputs your good to go :)

Also Pink Faun have an OCXO clock board that might work for you.

20 minutes ago, mourip said:
21 minutes ago, mourip said:

Very nice. Question. Does the card automatically disable power input from the bus when the SATA input is powered? How about bus power ground? 

I dont think so the 'external' power is auxiliary, I would cut or just tape over the 12v line on the PCIE that would give a clean supply from the external power.