IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 hours ago, elan120 said:

This system is clock centric, where a sCLK-OCX10 connected sCLK-EX clock board inside the PC provide clocking signals to MOBO, ethernet ports, JCAT Net Card, and tX-USBexp.  Signal output from tX-USBexp is connected to txUSBUltra directly that is sCLK-OCX10 connected as well, and the output from txUSBUltra goes into Singxer SU-1 that is also clocked by sCLK-EX inside of txUSBUltra, finally, SU-1 is connected to Holo Spring L3 DAC. 

So, you replaced all this with a NUC?

14 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Yes, I saw that, but apparently FAT, FAT32 and NTFS should work.

Good question, what settings? Therefore I have to go to print screens on the internet. I don't know them by heart.

If the NUC is a brick, then I got another problem. I've just purchased a HQPlayer embedded license that's linked to the NUC's hardware.

I hope that Jussi will understand, but first let's try some again with NTFS.

I find it unbelievable that one can brick a PC by simply changing some BIOS settings. It can happen during a BIOS flash, but this was not the case. I already did a BIOS flash 2 days ago without a problem.

....or not, "solid as a rock", as the case maybe? (LOL). Hope you fix it soon!

3 minutes ago, afrancois said:

Same with NTFS. USB thumb drive flashes briefly and keyboard lights up (has backlighting) and then the keyboard is no longer receives power.

I honestly don't know what to do next. I fear it's really a brick.

Could it be absolutely nothing to do with your tweaking what-so-ever; and consider that your board may have expired anyway due to faulty internal components? (i.e. entirely unrelated to what you were actually doing?)....can you return the product for a replacement perhaps?

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

After boot, try to unplug and replug in the HDMI cable or use an HDMI to DVI cable with a DVI input monitor.

a while ago on one of my setups I did this and it worked, so it's definitely worth a try! Mine was a recognised windows/embedded graphics/samsung TV incompatibility issue though.

8 minutes ago, afrancois said:

It happened straight after the BIOS setting changes. That's no coincidence.

could you re-flash the bios to default setting somehow?

Is the bios removable? If it is, you could place it in an external bios board and re-flash it there instead? Assuming the bios is still  healthy hardware in the first place!

On 12/2/2018 at 7:03 AM, BigAlMc said:

I'm still a bit confused by all the references!

So, many endpoints, servers. streamers, O/S, LPSU, storage, memory, cables, NUC versions, USB toys, etc. etc.

I know there are always new developments in the pipeline, technology morphs so fast these days, "BUT!" ~ are there any conclusions yet based on what is available now? (RE: NUC in audio).

Many Thanks!

On 12/2/2018 at 4:31 PM, rickca said:

I can't stop thinking ... why didn't we hear about this great NUC/AL combination until recently?  It's unbelievably inexpensive and it's been available for quite some time.  Are we all too preoccupied with ever more expensive sophisticated components and elaborate explanations about their design?

yes!

On 12/2/2018 at 5:37 PM, Dutch said:

The exact same thing just happened to me with the same NUC7PJYH. *cry*

As afrancois experienced I to have been unable to revive the NUC and will RMA it asap. 

It’s unbelievable one can brick a machine in this way .....

...the down side of the late, great NUC saga, thanks for showing its weaknesses as well as its strengths! NUC BUYER BEWARE, it's not all good news.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:16 PM, Dutch said:

I think there’s a serious bug somewhere in the BIOS of at least this NUC7PJYH. :(

...don't buy NUC7PJYH  perhaps? A warning to all potential purchasers, still plenty of other versions out there! Manufacturer needs to get this sorted or pull the plug on this one. Let's see what they do for us?

I got one cheap, secondhand and it was 'dead' right out the box. Never mind, worth the gamble.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:45 PM, afrancois said:

Don't know when the issue will be solved or if I will be somewhat forced to bye another NUC. I also still have to explain to Jussi (HQPlayer) that the license issued for this NUC is obsolete. 

yes, this NUC can cause a lot of headaches with "knock on effects" that affect other hardware/software usage.

41 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

Hi Patrick,

I find it very strange, I turn on my valve amps, open my tablet with Squeezer and hit play, then just sit and listen to great music. No issues with a complex USB chain and having to reboot different parts to get things going, no issues with the playback of some tracks that pull me out of the music. The threads I am mostly looking at are about ........music!

M

straight from tablet to valve amps? Is your tablet also acting as the DAC please?

31 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

Hi Doc,

No. The tablet has an Android App called Squeezer. This is on my WiFi and I use it to interact with my LMS/AL server and select a playlist for sending to my Squeezelite NUC/AL.

My music is on four 512GB USB sticks hosted on a USB3.0 hub that is attached to my LMS/AL server.

The Squeezelite NUC/AL attached to a SingXer-F1 DDC that converts the USB stream to SPDIF and that feeds into my AudioNote DAC.

hi mr.

many thanks! ~ I didn't think it could be just a tablet & amp! LOL!

3 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I may be mistaken, but as I understand it, a prototype of this product was revealed prior to the NUC craze taking hold of this thread.  People here picked up the ball and ran with it.

oh! ~ prior to the NUC craze? Does it have a retail price? Has it gone to market yet?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

Even though I can't afford DS-1 at the moment, its pricing sounds very reasonable.

$1599! ~ wake up! compare that to the humble NUC. These are the 'salad days', the golden period of discovery! Less than $200.

GET THE NUC/AL while it lasts! ALL the big guys WILL jump on board and do the same! The sky's the limit, and they don't care! You can put the NUC in a fanless case with AL and be damn close to the linear solution for much less cash! You can clone it for a lot less money! I knew this would happen, and the rest don;t want TLS to have the monopoly! They all want a piece of the pie with their own variations of this discovery! And do the same as they did in the past - BUT YOU ALL NOW HAVE THE INTERNET AND THIS THREAD IN WHICH YOU CAN USE YOUR BRAINS AND FIGHT BACK!!! - don't succumb to the sales pitch anymore - you are collectively more intelligent and have no need to have the wool pulled over your eyes, you can dictate the market - you do have the power!! You can collectively say "No!". Actually we think the DIY NUC's are much better value for money and therefore we will NOT buy your over priced alternative. VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS - DON'T LET THEM DECEIVE YOU WITH THEIR FANCY MARKETING TACTICS!! Don't buy the TLS NUC alternative! Show them with your internet collective connection that you have SOLIDARITY. Support the NUC's, then see how those big companies respond when you all say "WE'RE NOT BUYING IT ANYMORE - WE KNOW BETTER - WE HAVE A UNITED COMMUNITY - NOT DIVIDED/UNCONNECTED INDIVIDUALS ANYMORE, but instead a wealth of knowledge in a communal database which ultimately gives us the knowledge and power to dictate the market place - you don't need to be pushed around anymore! You don't need to pay $10,000+ anymore, the NUC/AL proves this without a shadow of a doubt. For Gods sake, tell the big name companies, were to go and drastically re-examine there pricing policies in the interconnected (web based) world! That's were your real power lies. If you collectively refuse to purchase, they have no choice but to revise price scales or go out of business! And who cares if they choose to go out of business when you have the cheap NUC/AL alternative? TIME FOR BIG CHANGE IN THE SO CALLED HI-FI WORLD. Larry and Roy started this and I think they should push this through all the way to the bitter end, and finish what they started! OK, so they discovered it! - but now what? You don't just simply let a load of profiteers cream off your hard work, which they are obviously beginning to do even now- "NO!". You offer better pricing, you look for cheaper alternatives, you don't just give in and hand it to them on a plate. Technically - you are there boys! - now it's time for serious business and go head to head with the established big names! yes you have the right to challenge the establishment and set a new precedent for future Hi-Fi pricing. Don't put up with it - cheaper is no longer inferior. The NUC/AL proves it. Take active measures and think on your feet.

Also, austinpop for very large contributions, well done man, I love you for your forward thinking!

It would be truly obscene to just hand over these discoveries to the profiteers after all this hard work that everyone has done here - DON'T let it happen, NOT HERE, NOT THIS TIME, NOT AGAIN! I care passionately about keeping prices down and the humble NUC proves it.

39 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Hi Doc,

Thank you for the reply.  I read through each of your words, literally.  Have you read my post carefully?  Or the post of the others carefully?

I use the NUC and promote the NUC+AL.  Otherwise, what's the point of providing the foolproof (I hope that it's foolproof) guides to the CAers here?  Why I'm wasting my time to serve others here.  All these are done as a labour of love.

On the other hand, there are people, who are willing to pay, who can't learn (no intention of humiliation) for whatever reasons, who just want to enjoy and can afford.  Then the $1599 is very reasonable.  The producer need to test mobo, try the sw, select the RAM, use the OCXO and all these costs. Remember, there there are after sale services as well.  I have no skin in the game and I know that the 1st music server I built was around $1500 (I guess I've posted here).  It's certainly not as good sounding as my NUC (sigh).  Knowledge is costly.  Great implementation is costly.  I guess the Ds-1 would be in great implementation.

Finally, look at the prices of the servers posted here.  Most of the them are more than $1600 without OCXO, sw, ... etc.  Even though I'm money sensitive, I feel the price reasonable.  YMMV

Regards.

yes I read carefully.

mine is done as a labour of human rights and collective peer pressure and I don;t feel TLS price is reasonable compared to $120 NUC.

"enjoy and can afford", maybe more money than brains? Just need re-educating, have you seen:rich kids go skint - on TV? Maybe "with compassion" they could 'see' a more economical alternative, than simply paying out regardless, e.g. £4000 for a pair of trainers! Yes maybe they can afford it, but is it right and are the one percent super rich really dictating market forces? I beg to differ "IF" the other 99% united in solidarity using the FREE (TBL) WWW.

I also built a one box solution for £1650 and now see the error of my ways inlight of the NUC/AL discovery!

$1600?

respect for your input!

On 12/5/2018 at 6:50 AM, austinpop said:

I commend your zeal, but honestly, you are tilting at the wrong windmill here.

The Linear Solution are a small company and hardly the Big Bad Corporation, and their products are quite fairly priced for what they deliver. As others have already pointed out, many people are not up for DIY solutions, and are willing to pay for a polished product with full support. And if you look at the DS-1, Adrian tells me they have managed to get OCXO clocking on all the clocks - system, USB, and Ethernet.

Of course, claims are one thing, and the proof of the pudding will be in the hearing. I spent nearly $800 for my i7 NUC, and I had to assemble it myself, futz with AL, the BIOS and all that. I am fine doing it. But if a $1599 product comes along that delivers it turnkey AND potentially delivers more SQ - TBD, I hasten to add - then I am perfectly cool with that.

@austinpop

If this was marginly 'better' than the NUC/AL, would I pay $1599 ? No! I always prefer the biggest bang for the buck and at the moment it looks like that would be a NUC. Expensive "diminishing returns" items like the DS-1 don't really float my boat. Paying more and more and more for devices that give less and less and less 'improvement'   ....well, I can't justify that expenditure. Once the massive leap has been had for a more than reasonable price, my interest starts to wane. Not really interested in the bleeding edge because for one reason alone, next year it will be old news and DOWN in price as the next small step arrives. Case in point: already we see the DS-1 "at a price!" superseding the cheapo NUC/AL even though the NUC/AL has still to reach the pinnacle of sales. I am only a small tweaker at heart and tire easily of the process and I think conclusions could be drawn already from the extensive discussion here? I don't need POLISHED products with all the so called back up, warranty, fancy looks etc; just as long as it is fairly turnkey friendly I am happy. I quite like military/functional looks, robust, aggressive, plain and ugly gear. Stuff that looks like it belongs on tour, in a rack, on stage, in a studio, ratrod. My friend john wood builds great valve amps (IMHO) and he always says: "I'm only interested on what's on the inside, how it works, how it performs, who gives a stuff what it looks like, you can have any colour you want as long as it's black". Suits me fine! That is of course just my preference, as you say "some simply want the turnkey, one button press, polished end products, without the tinkering". I have nothing against anyone who likes these finished products in terms of digital age technology. All my different speakers and amps are finished products but again I'm not bothered about a finished appearance, they can be scratched, chipped, dented - who cares? - just makes them more affordable (£). Cheers! I think I will mark it as off topic, just in case it is getting away from the main topic of discussion.