IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, matthias said:

It is not about the availability of parts. It is about the genius to put the right parts into the right composition. It is about excellent hearing and excellent technical understanding. I do not see this coming from another manufacturer.

Matt

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

exactly!

how the parts are chosen, put together and optimized is where the magic lies.

that is why they are building their own switch, so they can control and jointly optimize the buffering and transmission of data from the switch to the extreme.  this is serious engineering, not cookbook putting together pieces of h/w

Not to diminish Emile's achievements, but if he can do it, so can someone else. And if there's money to be made someone will sell it.  Just look at the wide variety of DACs available today as a comparison not to mention older tech components like amps, speakers and headphones.  At one point those things didn't exist.  This isn't magic.  Have hope.

49 minutes ago, hols said:

Coupled with improvements in the Linux OS created by my buddy/mentor and running HQplayer embedded + NAA we have been successful to build some servers that can match the SQ of the extreme(not only the bad time extreme but even the resurrected extreme). Comments are from occasional visitors during this COVID-19 times. And I am sure that Nenon's server too is at least on par with the SQ of extreme.

Thanks for the input Hols.  It's interesting to hear this from an Extreme owner.  It certainly helps keep reality in check.

5 hours ago, romaz said:

I, too, was frustrated by the limitations of the unregistered version of HQP and 1 minute of listening time is indeed very short and so what did I do?  I bought HQP Pro and I am both pleased but also have regrets.  I am pleased because it did everything it claims to do but I have regrets because somehow, I can't get it to run on my Extreme and so as of now, I am forced to run it on a server that is far inferior to the Extreme.  The process has been educational and what I am finding is that the quality of the files that you generate with HQP Pro is very much dependent on the quality of the server used to create these files.  Don't think you can just create files on any server and end up with excellent results.  For years, there has been debate about whether there are SQ differences between different CD ripping software with some swearing they can hear differences (I belong to this camp) and others suggesting there could possibly be no difference but my experience with creating new masters via offline upsampling with HQP Pro strongly supports that noise created by your server becomes permanently embedded in the new recording and even play back of these files through the Extreme won't fix it.  What I am hoping is that eventually, I will be able to run HQP Pro on my Extreme but for the time being, I'm using my HQP Pro as a proverbial boat anchor.

Very interesting hypothesis and/or discovery.  I've made efforts in the past to re-rip CDs.  I haven't taken the splurge with HQP Pro yet, but it is more food for thought when doing so.  Thanks for this info.

Another downside of HQP Pro is that you can't use it seamlessly with Roon, so if you're using Roon it isn't a replacement for HQP Desktop or Embeded.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, NanoSword said:

I thought using PHD you wouldn't want to use anything else. Do you think the sound did not improve much when changing from LPS to PHD?

I think it probably did improve somewhat but I can't A/B test. It is likely the PHD is the best supply for the application but I was wondering if there were other options at higher than 2A.

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

What's on the other side of the Solarflare card? If it's also 10Gb SFP+ capable go for the industrial model.

The other end of the Solarflare will be an EtherRegen.  I could use the Melco there, but neither are 10G.  The Solarflare will be the only device that's 10G in my entire network.  I'd been reading some positive reviews about it, was considering the JCAT Net Card XE and thought I'd give the Solarflare a shot first.

This would also give me the opportunity to put these SFPs in other devices for a comparison with the Planets.

So you raise a good point Larry, would there be a compatibility issue? I could put the same SFP at both ends but will need to make sure it will work in them.

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

While not required, I always use the same SFPs at both ends of the fiber. And in my case everything is SFP+ capable. Have you considered a 10gbps switch for use with the Solarflare? I hear Mikrotik has a good one that is affordable.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I have an sNH-10G, EtherRegen and Melco.  I don't necessarily "need" a 10gbps switch now but will keep it in mind.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, lmitche said:

These drives are at End of Life(EOL), so we need to find a substitute for this use case with good speed on short randoms writes and a quiet controller.

I believe it is just the retail versions. There will continue to be pro Optane releases. Still obtainable.  Have you heard anything different recently?