IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 21.05.2017 at 2:57 PM, romaz said:

Adnaco makes the JCAT USB card and I have looked at it.  I believe not all regulators on this card are linear.  The SOtM card uses one switching regulator out of necessity while the rest are linear but Lee did his best to filter out its negative impact.  If you are using a high quality PSU like the LPS-1 or if all you have is the LPS-1, then I would probably ask Lee to remove the first stage regulator so that you can power it directly with 5V instead of 9V but then take care to use a well insulated (and as short as possible) DC cable.

There are no switching power supplies on the JCAT USB Card FEMTO

BR, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 3 weeks later...
On 5.06.2017 at 3:37 PM, greenleo said:

JCAT mentioned that they're going to introduce one.  But no sign yet.

Oh, it is coming very soon - still in June! 

On 5.06.2017 at 6:02 AM, ElviaCaprice said:

Hi Larry,

Not just JCAT, but any audiophile USB pcie card.  I can't make any sense of your attempt here, other than you used an old JCAT card with an outdated driver?  How could it sound worse?

If jumpers on the card were set properly then the only explanation that comes to my mind is that the dropouts were caused by USB selective suspend option which is enabled by default in Windows to save power when a USB device is not used. 

Regarding sound, I'd try with native MS driver. The optional NEC/Renesas driver is brighter and thinner sounding. 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

9 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Marcin

Can you share some details about this.

Is it going to be a high end switch (i.e. multiple ethernet ports) or a device with a single ethernet input and a single ethernet output?

And what features will it have? Linear regulators, re-clocking, signal integrity regeneration etc?

Cheers!

Sean

Hi Sean, 

It is a a dual-port 1Gbit PCI Express network adapter with femto clock using ultra-low noise linear power supplies exclusively. Similar design to our JCAT USB Card FEMTO only for Ethernet.

Best regards,

Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 9.06.2017 at 10:17 AM, Em2016 said:

Hi @Marcin_gps

Can you kindly share some details about this.

Is it going to be a high end switch (i.e. multiple ethernet ports) or a device with a single ethernet input and a single ethernet output?

And what features will it have? Linear regulators, re-clocking, signal integrity regeneration etc?

Cheers!

Sean

Final pre-production units arrived. Coming soon to PC near you :)

19048373_10213304961041469_150484407_o.jpg

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 11.06.2017 at 5:36 PM, Cooler said:

I talked to @Marcin_gps 

if nic will work on gigabit speed with two ports, it needs 2A.

If i stay with seasonic, is j2 good enough, or what would you suggest? And what do you mean under "12v mobo"?

Typ current is 1.5A. Max current: 1.9A  (depending on operation condition) – I would say if somebody has 1.5A PSU then he can try to use it. If buy a new one then it is better to buy >=2A.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 11/14/2018 at 8:29 PM, RickyV said:

Is there a website? @lmitche

Other questions i have are: 

Is it possible in AudioLinux to configure a m.2 slot to accept a jcat usb Femto card?

@Marcin_gps

Is a NUC best in a two pc set up or can it be one nuc, without ssd, only music from tidal or a nas?

For now I prefer a one nuc setup what media player s.w is there to choose from?

Thanks

Rick ?

It shouldn't need any special configuration, it should work out of box with an m.2 -> PCIe riser cable

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

9 hours ago, romaz said:

The key to the JCAT card is that it can be independently powered.  When powered by an SR4, this card is incredibly good.  When bus-powered, it's just ok.  There's no way to independently power the Ethernet ports on a motherboard.

Plus there are no switching power supplies on the card which means that the effect of your pristine external LPS is not destroyed :) 

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys, 

Just a quick update: both JCAT NET Card FEMTO & JCAT USB Card FEMTO are back in stock and all pre-orders will ship on Monday. 

Thanks to @romaz & @austinpop reviews there was a huge demand for the cards. 

BTW - if anyone is in Munich next week for the High End show and has any questions or just want to say hi, please visit Hall 2, Booth E01. I will be there 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Hello, 

I'm using D31.23185S.001  DDR4 4GB ECC UDIMM at the moment. This is the latest model based on the newly developed Samsung IC. It's a step up from the previous Apacer industrial E/T RAM. 

The best way to purchase Apacer ram is to call Apacer and ask them about the dealer in your neighbourhood. It worked for me. 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, seeteeyou said:

I saw that you're also quite fond of SLC CF cards from Apacer

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2413-apacer-cf-card-extended-range-temperature-as-ssd/#entry41693

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/1141-guide-how-to-properly-set-up-windows-server-2012-on-a-cf-card/page-3#entry41542

Their latest model should be CS710-CF and 32GB ones are about $330 on Mouser, did you try previous generations yourself and just wondering if the impact were as significant as what ECC RAM could bring to the table?

https://industrial.apacer.com/en-ww/SSD/CS710-CF

https://www.soselectronic.com/products/apacer/ap-cf032grhns-etnrk-320536

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Memory-ICs/Memory-Modules-Memory-Cards/Memory-Cards/CS710-CF-Series/_/N-fb8vi?P=1y8f0ve

Since not all motherboards are compatible with CF-to-SATA adapters these days, their SLC SSDs might seem to be a better to me

https://industrial.apacer.com/en-ww/SSD/SS130-25

https://www.soselectronic.com/products/apacer/aps25hu7032g-ktwf-322963

SS130-25 was released several months ago and therefore it should be fairly new.

I've used the Apacer SLC CF Cards too, but I switched to Apacer SLC SSD eventually: https://industrial.apacer.com/en-ww/SSD/SFD25A

CF Card sounded a bit better, but the read/write performance bottleneck and a difficult OS installation process was not worth it in the long run

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Just a word of warning - I have the JCAT XE card and found both of my Slimrun optical USBs would stop communicating with the DAC.  This problem did not occur with the Ryzen onboard USB ports, though.  Real shame as it was very effective otherwise.

Did you by any chance remove the jumpers from the card? I wonder if that's the cause.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

48 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Yes, PSU has plenty of headroom (5A), although not drawing power from USB port. 

FWIW, the SlimRun USB works randomly - either for hours at a time, or suddenly stops with the XE.  Happens during track changes.  It does seem once in a while the USB hubs do get confused for others too.  They are native USB 3.0 hubs, but accepting USB 2.0 devices.  Interestingly, I could never get it to throw up issues with a USB 3.0 device attached via the XE. 

A few other reviews of the product itself suggest this is happening with other USB ports too, so not strictly an XE issue.  It appears from the kernel logs that the USB hubs are resetting when faulting (i.e. disconnecting).  

Also worth mentioning, when connected in Linux, the kernel would report the hub connecting at 5gbps, and its downstream devices (e.g. the DAC) ALSO rated at 5gbps, when ofcourse the DAC is a USB 2.0 480mbps device.  

Did try injecting a USB 2.0 extension between SlimRun and PC, but it wouldnt function without USB 3.0 pins.

Will eventually try a few more optical extenders.  SlimRun USB optical otherwise goes recommended.

OK, thanks for the info

JPLAY & JCAT Founder