IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 19 May 2017 at 3:36 AM, austinpop said:

Tommy, the best would be to contact May and inquire. They're pretty open to doing mods, but the extent to which they would know ahead of time what's feasible just depends on whether they've had any prior experience with the unit.

I sent them a Zyxel GS108Bv3. I really wanted to use a 5-port, but had trouble sourcing it. I was alerted to this switch model by Roy as he recalled it was the baseline Paul Pang used to use. More recently, it looks like Pang and Aqvox are using D-Link DGS-2208 (?) switches, so those may be good to use too. 

My main criteria was also to pick a switch whose DC voltage requirements were in the right range and whose power needs were modest, so it could share power from an LPS-1 at 7V with the modded sMS-200.

Finally, if you are buying everything else new, it may be possible to ask SOtM to source the switch, so you don't have to ship them anything. I believe @limniscate was pursuing that with them.

Rajiv, I have sourced a 5 port Zyxel switch GS105B V3 which I intend to buy but it seems it requires a 9v, which I believe is the same requirement of your switch "Zyxel GS108B V3".

However, the above mentioned Dlink switch requires 5V. So I'm kinda confused..

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, pam1975 said:

@austinpop what do you think the modded Z-switch brings into the chain? I've read your findings that it clearly sounds better with it than without it and that the gains in your set-up are substantial, but what is your hypothesis as to why it increases SQ? yet another reclocking in the chain, is that it?

Had this same query. As far as the modification of the switch goes, SOTM/PPA & the likes, (PROBABLY) replaced all electrolytic capacitors with extremely low esr polymer capacitors & Also added (good quality) mkp capacitors.

It would be interesting to see someone who owns a modded switch pop up its lid and take some pics. 

1 hour ago, AmusedToD said:

Yes, these are options you can pay SOTM for, but they are not obligatory. I received a separate quote for the capacitors.

I just didn't get it, can the switch work without the master clock in the Tx board or not?

Could you please share on what quotes you received from SOTM for the switch mod (PM would be fine)?

I'm very curious to know exactly what parts are swapped or additionally added.

@austinpop would be the right man to address your query "if the switch would work without the MC...." (I think he's already mentioned it someplace in this thread)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

I've got my NUC running now headless from USB stick with no heard drive needed. Not much trouble to set up.

I set up my NUC from a mac if any one needs advice and I can list the steps later.

Pat, I'll hit you up on that later next week when my NUC arrives.

19 hours ago, Monge said:

Guys,

Can someone please recommend a good USB memory stick for the headless Audiolinux boot? And how many GB?

@tapatrick Which version of the headless Audiolinux are you using for the diskless NUC? 

It would be very nice if you could make a guide for us.?

I find the audiolinux webside very frustrating.

But I am really trying hard to read and understand while waiting for the hardware to arrive.

Cheers

Piero recommended a minimum of 32gb, these..

The possible USB sticks are (in order of performance):
1) SanDisk Ultra Flair™ USB 3.0 Flash Drive (cheap and good, from 16 GB)
2) SanDisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 Flash Drive  (from 64 GB)
3) SanDisk Extreme PRO® USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive (the best, from 128 GB)

But many are happy using a $7 USB flash drive..

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

B. The Audio PC

2. In the UEFI boot menu of your Audio PC, boot the USB disk. 

3. Just let it run until the prompt comes.   Type the following command to enable the NAA (Do not forget to press enter) .

systemctl --user start networkaudio

4. The prompt should come out again immediately.

Thanks once again for your contribution @greenleo   Can you please clarify,

"3. Just let it run until...... " do you mean the black terminal screen which comes up as soon as we boot the USB disk? Or are we supposed to open a new terminal once AL is up & running?

12 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Thanks. Now with JPLAY FEMTO, single PC sounds better than dual PC setup back there. 

Regards, 

Marcin

Cool, will Jplay FEMTO work on Audiolinux? I'd be keen to give it a listen, the timing is perfect as I'm trying to ascertain buying a new player SW for Audiolinux.

2 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

...however that those nuc are not fanless. Question ? Is the fan an issue as it will create both electrical and audible noise ?

Is there a fanless solution...

Would be interesting to know if the Akasa Newton JC chassis indeed makes a difference. Perhaps Larry & Patrick could chime in..

22 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Yes I found it makes a significant difference and definitely worth doing. 

Interesting that using my MacBook Pro as AL roonserver booting in Ram (it’s only a temporary solution for now), the extreme mode sounds worse (relatively) that BFQ mode in RAM. This is because the fan goes crazy in extreme mode and I assume adds a lot of noise. Therefore getting the fan and hard drives out of the equation is essential. 

See @Middy input on concerns about quality of heat sinks in some Fanless cases. 

This was Piero’s reply when I asked him about the extreme mode..

Extreme mode is very... extreme, processor will never go to a sleep state (this will improve latency) but because of this temperature can rise at dangerous levels if the cpu cooler is not of very good quality. I would not use it in a laptop, for example. Sound can be better but if the computer is not up to the task, it could be worse because of cpu throttling down”

My MBP is already running hot in Bfq mode. Hence, for the time being I’m holding back..

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, rickca said:

When you buy the headless/LXQt version for $49 can we run it on multiple computers with just a single license?  I've seen someone ask this before, but I don't recall seeing an answer from Piero.

I did ask this question to Piero, and the reply was "yes" but please only for you, not for your friends :)"

Which meant please don't share it with others, if you get the drift..

1 hour ago, auricgoldfinger said:

My AL NUC endpoint doesn't require a monitor to boot.  Nothing needs to be done other than inserting the USB stick and then removing it once AL is up and running.

But don't you have to physically punch the "y/n" on the keyboard for entering ramroot? And then click on "Roon bridge", "HQPe" or Squeezelite whatever you're pairing up your server with?

14 hours ago, lmitche said:

It would be great if you guys could hear the NUC on speakers known for accurate imaging like Wilson's or Focals . . .  To my ears, so much of the NUC sound is about the space it creates. I am not sure you can hear this from headphones or planar speakers.

Very true Larry, I’m a Focal Utopia fanboy myself ?