IGNORED

Ponomusic vault

Indydan

Being a Pono customer, I received this email today. I don't really care, because I won't use it unless the store reopens. I was hoping the email was to announce the reopening of the Pono store...

For those who are interested, here is the content of the email:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: td1][TABLE=class: t1]

[TR]

[TD=class: td2][TABLE=class: t1]

[TR]

[TD=class: td3][TABLE=class: t1]

[TR]

[TD=class: td3]NEW PONOMUSIC VAULT

Aloha! Pono is pleased to announce PonoMusic Vault, our own internally developed desktop software that's an upgrade over the JRiver software that has been previously available. PonoMusic Vault is absolutely free and will never expire. This software is what you need to manage your digital music library with rich features such as Playlist Creation, CD Ripping, Tag Editing and more!

Why did we develop Pono Vault? Because many of our users (as well as us) found the previous software to be difficult to use, and a challenge to our goal of making access to and listening to music easy for everyone. It served its purpose while we developed our own, and you can still purchase the product from JRiver if you want nothing else.

Our software, support, and quality teams spent weeks pouring over all of the feedback and support requests that came in, and, based on that information, set out to develop a product that would provide the necessary capabilities with a much improved user interface. After nearly a year of effort we are happy to announce its availability.

We are excited to be releasing a Beta version of PonoMusic Vault today. Follow the instructions below to download your free copy and get started with this improved experience. We have prepared a video tutorial and a list of answers to anticipated questions.

Because this is a Beta, we will be reviewing all of the tickets you submit, but may not get back to you on each one unless there are specific questions. You should assume that all feedback is being read and being addressed.

You can download PonoMusic Vault here:

www.ponomusic.com/pmv

Check out the video tutorials here:

www.ponomusic.com/contactus

We welcome your feedback and experience. Please let us know by clicking here: www.ponomusic.com/contactus and don't forget to include your operating system and browser information.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Mahalo, The PonoMusic Team

System requirements:

Mac: OS X 10.9 and higher

Windows:Windows Vista and higher

*The current version of PonoMusic World times out on 12/31/16.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: td4][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: td1, colspan: 2][TABLE=class: t1]

[TR]

[TD=class: td5][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: td3]WWW.PONOMUSIC.COM[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Anyone know what's happening with Ponomusic? The store has been unavailable for ages. On the positive side they've been working on their own player software as above to replace the previous J River clone, but it has just basic functionality.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

I'm supposing their contract with JRiver to supply PMW runs out in a little over a week, and they needed something to offer their customers who've been using PMW.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This is interesting. I read the email and thought it was quite a lap in the face to JRiver. Pono, an organization that has fumbled continuously and has almost no capital, has developed its own "upgrade" to JRMC. I can understand some people think it's hard to use. JRMC can be overwhelming for beginners, especially if they believe they have to know everything about an app in order to use it. However, I don't think this is going to end well for Pono. The work and knowledge involved in maintaining an application and supporting customers is pretty extensive.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is interesting. I read the email and thought it was quite a lap in the face to JRiver. Pono, an organization that has fumbled continuously and has almost no capital, has developed its own "upgrade" to JRMC. I can understand some people think it's hard to use. JRMC can be overwhelming for beginners, especially if they believe they have to know everything about an app in order to use it. However, I don't think this is going to end well for Pono. The work and knowledge involved in maintaining an application and supporting customers is pretty extensive.

I think it was Pono's attempt to put a good face ("We *want* to develop our own app!") on a pressing situation ("Our contract with JRiver runs out in a month! What'll we do now?"). The excuse that they really didn't like JRiver was ungraceful, very likely dishonest, and just not the right way to have future potential business partners want to get involved with you.

I tried their beta app. It has what can very charitably be referred to as an extremely basic UI, and it crashed as soon as it tried to scan my music files. I'd assess it as an alpha, not a beta, and likely developed on a shoestring. To have something in this state for your customers with 10 days until "go live" seems like flailing.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

While I agree with your conclusions, I have to say that JRiver, though very capable, IS difficult to use with a long learning curve, but very few companies know how to design an effective, easy to learn user interface. Microsoft certainly doesn't know how to write decent software and they ruin every app they get their hands on (Skype, for instance). Ditto for Google. They have good ideas, but they don't know how to effectively implement them so that they are useful and fun to use. Seems like only Apple can do that!

George

While I agree with your conclusions, I have to say that JRiver, though very capable, IS difficult to use with a long learning curve, but very few companies know how to design an effective, easy to learn user interface. Microsoft certainly doesn't know how to write decent software and they ruin every app they get their hands on (Skype, for instance). Ditto for Google. They have good ideas, but they don't know how to effectively implement them so that they are useful and fun to use. Seems like only Apple can do that!

Agreed. That is one of the reasons I use Bitperfect. It works using iTunes as the interface.

I'm over Apple's music apps. I don't believe iTunes is even usable any more. They've replaced function with form. Removing identifiable icons with text and replacing them with strange icons without tool tips is crazy. One must click on the button to find out what it does. The interface looks good on the surface, but looks have made usability second-rate.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

When I first saw the message from Pono announcing the Music Vault I was interested, but not anxious. I did install the beta and while I stumbled a bit figuring out how to add a drive, I did succeed and it indexed my library. It didn't crash and most of the tags made the transition. And it sounded pretty ok also but nothing about the Vault struck me as, oh wow that is so cool. It fact, at this point it is barely a functioning product. It did find my Player and indexed it properly (200gb+64gb) and even let me add and delete some files. So I guess the beta is ready for public consumption.

But I did let Pono know that so far it is not ready for prime time and that abandoning PMW is, in my estimation, a mistake even if it is complex but capable. And it seems that JR will be offering the Pono Player community the ability to continue down the PMW road though it is unknown what if any cost or changes will be involved. Myself, I find abilities in PMW that JRMC22 lacks so IDK, I am apprehensive that something will be lost in the changes.

But since I am but a mere consumer, I guess my interests will be all but lost in the mix and we'll just have to wait-n-see.

Seasons Greetings yawl ...

I'm over Apple's music apps. I don't believe iTunes is even usable any more. They've replaced function with form. Removing identifiable icons with text and replacing them with strange icons without tool tips is crazy. One must click on the button to find out what it does. The interface looks good on the surface, but looks have made usability second-rate.

Certainly, iTunes has not kept up with the times and JRiver Media Center is certainly much more capable when it comes to function. But both have a long way to go before they are what I'd call "user friendly". Ever imported a CD (to either) and have the CD show up as 12 different CDs instead on one CD with 12 cuts? Then you set there, sometimes for hours, trying to figure out why it did that and how to fix it? That's the kind of stuff both apps need to iron out.

George

Well I don't know how it ends but it's starting right. If I like their app goodbye any music player that is no longer free:)

• 1 month later...