IGNORED

Introduce myself

jdandy

Not to detract from this thread but it would be interesting to know how many people here spend time critically listening to there music. Along that same line would be, is your room (system) set up currently for absolute critical listening.

It's about getting the best SQ when listening. It isn't about 'critical listening'.

You can't do that when you put one or more resonant bodies in the room, even after you've worked on room acoustics.

You need not even record and compare, you can actually hear the strings and the body resonate with the music, altering the response of what you hear.

My guitars aren't stored or displayed in my listening room, it just won't sound good otherwise.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

It's about getting the best SQ when listening. It isn't about 'critical listening'.

You can't do that when you put one or more resonant bodies in the room, even after you've worked on room acoustics.

You need not even record and compare, you can actually hear the strings and the body resonate with the music, altering the response of what you hear.

My guitars aren't stored or displayed in my listening room, it just won't sound good otherwise.

I beg to differ. My room isn't large but I couldn't hear a difference with my acoustic in or out of the room. I agree the guitar resonates, but to make a noticeable difference even minute for me was in-perceivable. Now my guitar(s) aren't sitting right next to me (maybe 10 feet away) so this is why I might not perceive a difference. I also don't listen to music at super low volumes were I may hear a difference from a resonating guitar.

My hearing could be shot too, but I still rely on it for playing and recording. I do get what your saying, but the traffic outside when a semi rumbles by has a greater effect on room vibrations:)

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

YashN.......I get your point but each of us have different goals and agendas. For me it is based on degree of impact. I have had the Fender and Taylor guitars hung on those two columns for ten years. I have moved them out of the room when I was experimenting and found that once I damped the strings their presence became a non-issue. In that same ten years the studio two channel room has seen six power amplifier changes, three preamplifier changes, four speaker changes, and three source component and DAC changes. I can state unequivocally, the gear and speaker changes had far more impact on the sound than the presence or absence of two guitars hanging on columns. Not to mention I enjoy looking at the guitars and like to play both of them. Having them handy is an asset. All I can tell you is make yourself happy. That's what I do.

Dan

That coffee table is also detrimental to sound quality and the sofa should be placed 1/3 or 1/5 into the room.

I almost bought those nice LS6332s instead of my current speakers.

R

I have an equal amount of expensive electronics but would never set it up like that. You really are not optimizing your system when you do that. It's harsh to say but it's amateur for the amount of money being spent.
I have an equal amount of expensive electronics but would never set it up like that. You really are not optimizing your system when you do that. It's harsh to say but it's amateur for the amount of money being spent.

Spoken like a true "professional" audiophile. Most of us here would give our right ear for 1/10 of that gear. The guy is new here, be nice.

Kevin M.......I assume your comments are directed toward me. I'm happy you have an equal amount of expensive electronics. To have that much discretionary income for audio gear tells me you must be successful at something. Good for you. You can certainly set up all that gear as you deem fit. What I don't see is any point in your "amateur" comment except perhaps self aggrandizement. You must be special to have such a supernatural ability to perceive events beyond normal sensory contact. Otherwise, how in the world could you possible know what my room and system sounds like? The simple answer is, you don't. Thinking and knowing are two entirely separate events.

Please feel free to continue with your agenda, whatever it may be, and I will do the same. Quite honestly, you don't know me, nor do I know you, so frankly I don't care what your opinions are about my sound system. I have no interest in pleasing you or anyone else for that matter. I do what pleases me. All I can say to the professional you obviously envision yourself to be is take care of your own business and I will do the same.

The intension with starting this thread was to introduce myself. If I have any pressing questions about setting up a sound system that I can't figure out myself, I'll start a new thread or join an existing one.

Dan

Kevin M.......I assume your comments are directed toward me. I'm happy you have an equal amount of expensive electronics. To have that much discretionary income for audio gear tells me you must be successful at something. Good for you. You can certainly set up all that gear as you deem fit. What I don't see is any point in your "amateur" comment except perhaps self aggrandizement. You must be special to have such a supernatural ability to perceive events beyond normal sensory contact. Otherwise, how in the world could you possible know what my room and system sounds like? The simple answer is, you don't. Thinking and knowing are two entirely separate events.

Please feel free to continue with your agenda, whatever it may be, and I will do the same.

I have no agenda. It's just acoustics. I don't have to hear it to know that your speakers are too close to the rack in one, for aesthetics I guess and the boundaries in the other among other things. I don't have to hear it to know what sidewall reflections are. What I posted is just the truth. I am not going to get personal. I'm just discussing what I see from purely an audio perspective.
Spoken like a true "professional" audiophile. Most of us here would give our right ear for 1/10 of that gear. The guy is new here, be nice.
New HERE indeed . I'm just stating the obvious about his set-up. I'm not sure what a professional audiophile is? If "professional audiophile" means I place my speakers away from boundaries within reason even if it would look neat all in line against the wall or rack, I am guilty. I only state that I have as much electronics so one would know that my criticism is not jealousy nor am I constrained by envy. I will not get personal. It's just hard truth that you'd tell any beginning audiophile. Don't push your speakers against the rack or near the wall. There are boundary effects and that can't be solved even by the best room eq or correction. Do you disagree with my advice? Perhaps I'm off base but it would seem to be acoustics 101, the stuff I posted. Nothing really outlandish?

From my perspective, guy comes in with a lot of beautiful gear and room that you'd hate to mention the "elephant in the room" or "Emperor has no clothes." Aesthetics are nice but set-up and just the very basic things one would do to tame boundary effects and acoustics are all WAY off. All the criticism posted by all are accurate.

I have no agenda. It's just acoustics. I don't have to hear it to know that your speakers are too close to the rack in one, for aesthetics I guess and the boundaries in the other among other things. I don't have to hear it to know what sidewall reflections are. What I posted is just the truth. I am not going to get personal. I'm just discussing what I see from purely an audio perspective.

Kevin M.......What you posted is not the truth, merely the truth according to your simple observation of a photograph. You don't have a clue how my speakers came to be in their locations or how I control reflections, but you certainly come across as a real know it all. When I need audio advice I rely on people who have proven knowledge and experience, in other words, people I know and trust. In three posts you have demonstrated why I have no reason to continue conversing with you. Enjoy your perfect system and life.

Dan

Dan, please don't get discouraged from the negative comments. This unfortunately always happens no matter what the thread is. You've made it perfectly clear what you room is set-up for and that you enjoy the experience.

I find it annoying that so many people assume that you and others have no clue what basic room set-up is all about. Sure there's rule of thumbs about everything, but sometimes these rules don't justify what your needs or criteria are for that room.

Everyone here means well when the respond but sometimes (myself included) it doesn't come out right when posted.

I do think the "amateur" comment was way of base for you or anyone.

Thanks again for joining, I hope you've found some information on the Aurender unit you were looking for.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

+1,

He's built a very nice system and (for me) has recording experience so he has 'earned his stripes' by default.

... however, since we don't listen to our stereos for a living, I'm happy to be called an amateur, because by definition hobby = amateur.

... kind of a meaningless insult in context.

;-)

Dan, please don't get discouraged from the negative comments. This unfortunately always happens no matter what the thread is. I do think the "amateur" comment was way of base for you or anyone.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

ShawnC.......Thank you for your comments and encouragement. Believe me, I am not discouraged in the least. I built my first high-end sound system in 1968 and have been having a blast ever since. For me, music and sound reproduction are about having fun, not about arguing over personal opinions masquerading as absolute facts. I have managed to acquire a fair amount of useful knowledge during the past 48 years of enjoying building sound systems. Many people have added to my knowledge base and I know who to turn to when I need help. The one thing I have learned from being exposed to many systems, both pro level and home audio systems, there is no system or room that is perfect. There are always compromises to one degree or another. The best part is, it doesn't stop owners and others from reaping great joy and satisfaction from their systems and investment. I have always been one who sees the glass as half full, not half empty.

Dan

ShawnC.......Thank you for your comments and encouragement. Believe me, I am not discouraged in the least. I built my first high-end sound system in 1968 and have been having a blast ever since. For me, music and sound reproduction are about having fun, not about arguing over personal opinions masquerading as absolute facts. I have managed to acquire a fair amount of useful knowledge during the past 48 years of enjoying building sound systems. Many people have added to my knowledge base and I know who to turn to when I need help. The one thing I have learned from being exposed to many systems, both pro level and home audio systems, there is no system or room that is perfect. There are always compromises to one degree or another. The best part is, it doesn't stop owners and others from reaping great joy and satisfaction from their systems and investment. I have always been one who sees the glass as half full, not half empty.

I am really glad you can shrug these negative comments off.

All that matters is that you enjoy your system. If it brings you joy then it is a good system. What would be a better "measurement"?

CA has taken a nose dive lately. We need more wag and less bark!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I am really glad you can shrug these negative comments off.

All that matters is that you enjoy your system. If it brings you joy then it is a good system. What would be a better "measurement"?

CA has taken a nose dive lately. We need more wag and less bark!

mourip.......Thank you for your comments. I guess if this was my first rodeo and I wore my heart on my sleeve, I could get wound up like an over-torqued pocket watch. Fortunately I have over 53,000 posts total on several audio forums I have enjoyed reading and posting to for many years. I learned a few things along the yellow brick road. One thing is for sure, there's Keyboard Generals everywhere. I ignore them. Life is way too short to wallow in the muck with strangers. The only person I am required to make happy is myself.

Dan

Wow. I leave the thread for a couple of days and come back to such subjective negativity. Dan certainly doesn't need my defense, but because I hold him in such high regard based on our interactions on another forum, I have to say that this attack is unwarranted. One only has to read one of Dan's product reviews to grasp his honesty, integrity, and most of all, musical knowledge. Enough said.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Steve.......Very kind. Thank you.

I joined the Computer Audio forum primarily to discuss my soon to arrive Aurender N10 music server. Since I was here I introduced myself. Everyone has been welcoming with a couple exceptions. I didn't imagine there would be issues with a simple introduction. Just goes to show you....

6359464724827874041587683163_forrest%20gump.jpg

Dan

I joined the Computer Audio forum primarily to discuss my soon to arrive Aurender N10 music server. Since I was here I introduced myself. Everyone has been welcoming with a couple exceptions. I didn't imagine there would be issues with a simple introduction. Just goes to show you....

Please stick around. I'm sure you have useful contributions to make to this forum, and there's a lot of members here, like myself, who will benefit from your participation.

Of course, like any other internet forum this is a microcosm of society, and, there are a percentage of rude people who, emboldened by their anonymity, feel it necessary to make inappropriate comments.

However, in this case, I think the guilty party has already shown some contrition for a poor choice of words, and should be forgiven.

I wouldn't change a dang thing. :-) Looks lovely. I'd happily put my feet up on that coffee table with you and join you for some listening. What's the point if you can't lay back and put your feet up?

Please stick around. I'm sure you have useful contributions to make to this forum, and there's a lot of members here, like myself, who will benefit from your participation.

Of course, like any other internet forum this is a microcosm of society, and, there are a percentage of rude people who, emboldened by their anonymity, feel it necessary to make inappropriate comments.

However, in this case, I think the guilty party has already shown some contrition for a poor choice of words, and should be forgiven.

wwaldmanfan.......I joined this forum because it is a valuable resource. With only a few years of computer audio exposure and experimentation behind me, I am interested in learning more. Many members here have a wealth of knowledge on the topics I wish to learn more about and these individuals are valuable assets to this community. I will be sticking around.

I appreciate the sentiment of your second point although I haven't come to the same conclusion. I can tell you this much about me, I actively avoid open conflict on forums. There are never any winners. It is pointless to waste my time and energy on those types of exchanges. I simply chose to cease communicating with anyone who revels in behavior that is incompatible with my personal philosophy.

Dan

I wouldn't change a dang thing. :-) Looks lovely. I'd happily put my feet up on that coffee table with you and join you for some listening. What's the point if you can't lay back and put your feet up?

zackthedog.......I have had many friends in the studio to enjoy that system. The critiques are always overwhelmingly positive. This system has astonished many people. The best part about that room is it makes me very happy to spend time there. It is a rare day that I don't spend three or four hours listening to music in the studio.

I see you are in Medford, Oregon. I lived in Klamath Falls many years ago. I worked for two different radio stations there and was on the air the morning Elvis died. What a crazy day at the station that day was. I used to travel to Medford on occasion. Is that big lumberjack statue still there?

Dan

+1

Yep, me too.

;-)

Dan, our systems are so different... you're big on front end and amps and I'm kinda big on speakers. I wonder how our two contrasting approaches differ in sound.

sys-table.jpg

(notice that acoustic friendly coffee tables should have cushions, feet, clutter, and cats (or other animals))

I'd happily put my feet up on that coffee table with you and join you for some listening. What's the point if you can't lay back and put your feet up?

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen