IGNORED

Introduce myself

jdandy

wwaldmanfan.......I joined this forum because it is a valuable resource. With only a few years of computer audio exposure and experimentation behind me, I am interested in learning more. Many members here have a wealth of knowledge on the topics I wish to learn more about and these individuals are valuable assets to this community. I will be sticking around.

I appreciate the sentiment of your second point although I haven't come to the same conclusion. I can tell you this much about me, I actively avoid open conflict on forums. There are never any winners. It is pointless to waste my time and energy on those types of exchanges. I simply chose to cease communicating with anyone who revels in behavior that is incompatible with my personal philosophy.

At least 99% of the members here are civil and polite. Unfortunately, there are a few trolls that come and go. Just want to point out a feature that you may not be aware of. In your personal Settings menu, there is an "ignore list" where you can put people that particularly annoy you, so that all their posts are hidden (except when quoted by others).

Your dog has a very expressive, almost human-like face. Beautiful.

And, not that you asked, but since you play, I'll just mention that my avatar is a 1965 Mosrite Ventures model, which I acquired when I was 14 years old. I still enjoy it.

Dan, our systems are so different... you're big on front end and amps and I'm kinda big on speakers. I wonder how our two contrasting approaches differ in sound.

(notice that acoustic friendly coffee tables should have cushions, feet, clutter, and cats (or other animals))

r_w.......Great photo of you enjoying a fine looking sound system. The cat seems to be enjoying the listening (sleeping) session, too. I recognized the ATC speakers immediately. They are excellent speakers. I have a pair of PMC EB1i (passive) speakers in my living room system with a JL Audio f113 Fathom subwoofer. As speaker companies go, ATC and PMC share some common ground in many design areas.

You have a considerably larger room than my studio system occupies. I am certain that plays well with the big Revel subs. One of the reasons you don't have more gear in your racks is because the ATC SCM 50 ASL speakers are active with the amplifiers built in. Many ATC active speakers find their way into pro applications. The tri-amped design of your ATC's would add a minimum of three stereo amplifiers to your gear and lots of speaker wire if not for their internal design inside the speakers. I'm confident the Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 preamp provides the ATC's with a clean signal to work with.

Our systems are not as dissimilar as a quick glance might make them appear. We just have different ways of arriving at the same goal. My 300 watt McIntosh MC2301 mono tube power amps are huge and take up a lot of space. You have your 350 watts of mono amplifiers hidden inside your speakers. Beyond that and the room size difference I suspect both of our sound systems are quite capable of delivering an exciting and realistic audio performance.

Dan

At least 99% of the members here are civil and polite. Unfortunately, there are a few trolls that come and go. Just want to point out a feature that you may not be aware of. In your personal Settings menu, there is an "ignore list" where you can put people that particularly annoy you, so that all their posts are hidden (except when quoted by others).

Your dog has a very expressive, almost human-like face. Beautiful.

And, not that you asked, but since you play, I'll just mention that my avatar is a 1965 Mosrite Ventures model, which I acquired when I was 14 years old. I still enjoy it.

wwaldmanfan.......I agree with you, the majority of forum members are friendly, positive contributors. And yes, I am aware of the Ignore feature. Most audio forums provide this function. I don't mind reading everything that gets posted but I am selective when it comes to responding, particularly when posts become adversarial. Saying nothing is saying something if one is perceptive enough to understand.

The dog in my avatar is not mine. A friend of mine owns a German wire haired pointer named Dewey that looks nearly identical to the one in the photo, so when I found that photo I selected it as my avatar. I kind of identify with Dewey because we are both a couple of old dogs.

Your 1965 Mosrite Ventures guitar is a beauty. They are steadily rising in value. I recently sold two Gibson guitars, a Sunburst Les Paul Custom 68 and a black Gibson SG. I also sold a Taylor 810 acoustic guitar. I am down to three guitars now, a Taylor 814ce, a Guild D55, and a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster that I use with a Marshall DS100D amp. I don't play as much as I used to due to arthritis in my fingers but I still enjoy them being available for the times when I feel like picking one up.

Dan

what kind of dog is that?

and... it might improve SQ if the stacks were not so close to the speakers...

Rals11.......The photo of the studio room really doesn't present the space relationships very well. Both of the Sonus faber Amati Anniversario speakers are located outside the positions of the two gear racks. It is easier to see this in the photo on page 1 of this thread where my feet are up on the coffee table. The front baffles of the speakers are 44" off the rear wall and 23" off the side walls. The specific locations were dialed in and determined using the Sumiko Master Speaker Placement plan. It took a full day to get it right. First reflection points make use of absorption panels, and other points in the room make use of absorption and diffusion panels. Photographs rarely present the many aspects employed in a room to create a controlled listening environment and certainly do not demonstrate the actual results without hearing the system. The bass is rich, goes deep and loads the room very well. The midrange and top end are well defined without glare. Instrument and voices have wonderful separation and air without smear. The sound stage is remarkably holographic and extends beyond the speakers physical locations and room boundaries. The speakers disappear in the room as soon as the music begins. There's nothing else to say except I am extremely pleased with the performance of the studio sound system.

Dan

zackthedog.......I have had many friends in the studio to enjoy that system. The critiques are always overwhelmingly positive. This system has astonished many people. The best part about that room is it makes me very happy to spend time there. It is a rare day that I don't spend three or four hours listening to music in the studio.

I see you are in Medford, Oregon. I lived in Klamath Falls many years ago. I worked for two different radio stations there and was on the air the morning Elvis died. What a crazy day at the station that day was. I used to travel to Medford on occasion. Is that big lumberjack statue still there?

There's a lumberjack statue in Portland but I don't think we have one here in Medford. We do have a gigantic ugly blackbird that looks like Heckel (or Jeckel). And the Caveman is still there in Grants Pass. :-)

I must say I'm a little astonished at some of the comments. Not the sort of welcome one usually gets here.

I see what you are saying (or showing). A bird's eye view would give a better idea of the spatial relationships.

I will look into the Sumiko thing myself, as I have a very nasty situation involving dipole radiators and a window (that must be undraped) on one side but not the other...

I've got a whole lot of respect for you buddy, shame we are a few thousand miles apart... I bet some great listening would take place.

PS: I loved your picture of audio domination (wall of amps)!

Keep up the great work.

;-)

r_w.......Great photo of you enjoying a fine looking sound system. The cat seems to be enjoying the listening (sleeping) session, too. I recognized the ATC speakers immediately. They are excellent speakers. I have a pair of PMC EB1i (passive) speakers in my living room system with a JL Audio f113 Fathom subwoofer. As speaker companies go, ATC and PMC share some common ground in many design areas.

You have a considerably larger room than my studio system occupies. I am certain that plays well with the big Revel subs. One of the reasons you don't have more gear in your racks is because the ATC SCM 50 ASL speakers are active with the amplifiers built in. Many ATC active speakers find their way into pro applications. The tri-amped design of your ATC's would add a minimum of three stereo amplifiers to your gear and lots of speaker wire if not for their internal design inside the speakers. I'm confident the Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 preamp provides the ATC's with a clean signal to work with.

Our systems are not as dissimilar as a quick glance might make them appear. We just have different ways of arriving at the same goal. My 300 watt McIntosh MC2301 mono tube power amps are huge and take up a lot of space. You have your 350 watts of mono amplifiers hidden inside your speakers. Beyond that and the room size difference I suspect both of our sound systems are quite capable of delivering an exciting and realistic audio performance.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Welcome JDANDY.

For what it is worth, I think it is rude to comment on someone's system unless they are requesting assistance.

PS: I am keeping my coffee table, I need someplace to place my beer!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Welcome JDANDY.

For what it is worth, I think it is rude to comment on someone's system unless they are requesting assistance.

PS: I am keeping my coffee table, I need someplace to place my beer!

NOMBEDES.......I agree with you, and even if asked for my opinion I can manage to offer a critique without fluffing someone's feathers.

Yep, the coffee table is just one of those necessary audio room evils. It's easy enough to move out of the room if I wish. I'm good either way.

Dan

There's a lumberjack statue in Portland but I don't think we have one here in Medford. We do have a gigantic ugly blackbird that looks like Heckel (or Jeckel). And the Caveman is still there in Grants Pass. :-)

I must say I'm a little astonished at some of the comments. Not the sort of welcome one usually gets here.

zackthedog.......Perhaps the Paul Bunyan lumberjack statue I'm thinking of was in Grants Pass. I remember the statue being right off an I-5 exit. It has been nearly 40 years since I have been in that area so who knows what may have changed.

Dan

Dang!

Portland's Paul Bunyan statue towers over Kenton (Photos) | OregonLive.com

Paul Bunion must have sore feet from walking all the way to the west

FWIW, I'm in Eugene and we have the Pioneer mother and father, not to mention a statue of Ken Kesey

Ralf11.......Thanks for the link to the Paul Bunyan statue in Portland. I have a brick with my name on it in the brick floor at Pioneer Square in downtown Portland.

Dan

Bonjour Dan, it's nice to see you joining the computer audiophile group of experts.

I'm here too for the same set of reasons; answers to some of my questions, learning the computer audio world, and having fun.

Cheers,

Axial.......And a warm greeting to you as well. You beat me here by a few months but better late than never.

I see Portishead listed under your avatar as a location. Is that Portishead, England?

Dan

Hello Dan. Thought I would join you over here. I just might might learn something, not getting any younger..

Chris.......Glad to see you here. I know what you mean about not getting any younger. If I don't hurry up and learn something I may just run out of time.

Dan