IGNORED

Ayre QX-5/Twenty ......There is magic in the Ayre, lol.

With what you have, the KXR would be the best choice most probably. You'd maximize everything, however if you can only get the KX5 Twenty, then it's the way to go. Honestly, the QX5 Twenty is one GREAT DAC. Personally, it hits so high above it's price point that Ayre that I feel Ayre is redefining what DAC's should cost. That Codex is a KILLER and should be thousands more and I'm not the only one who feels that way. I've heard it in a ref system with the Vandersteen 7 mk2's and the Ayre ref stack.. Also heard it with the Audio Research Ref 6 pre and Ref 150's I believe it was. It just kept showing off more and more.

The QX5 Twenty is taking my system to places it hasn't been. I had a great and well respected DAC before this and it's not even close between the two and the prices are the same.

Yup, those R Series components have a chassis that is milled from solid 75lb solid blocks of aluminum and they ain't cheap!

The KX-R Twenty makes a bigger improvement over the former R Series than the MX-R Twenty. But the MX-R Twenty is a better sounding amp than the MX-R.

Live with the MX-R Twenty and the KX-R Twenty for a week, then change out with the 5 Twenty series. Assuming everything has at least 500 hours of break-in, the differences will become clear.

The 5 series is a very good value.

Steve Plaskin

Thank you Mercman.

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

The 5 series is a very good value.

I just found this review over on Audiobeat - seems relevant here.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I agree, great combo and great sound. Thank you for the link.

I just found this review over on Audiobeat - seems relevant here.

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

I just got a QX-5 over the weekend and I have setup it up temporary into my main system yesterday. It turned into 4 hours of listening bliss.

There are 2 other DACs in my main system. The Lumin S-1, which is my reference and the PS Audio Directstream. There is no need to compare, the SQ on the QX-5 is superior.....weight, transparency , detailed, no grain!! Also, the other 2 DACs have transformer coupled output, the QX-5 is solid state direct output...you can hear the the difference when it comes to those extreme low notes.

Also there is a significant difference between input 9 (USB) and input (10) Network. USB tends to be "leaner and finer" than Net but I like the slight denser quality of the music the ethernet input is giving.

Music server is a i7 5960X machine, fibre coupled to a Melco feeding USB and clean ethernet to my DACs in the main rack. I am using KX-R and MX-R Twenty. Speakers are Thiel 3.7.

(Audio)

Hi and thanks for the post. I am looking at a QX5 as a possible replacement for my trusty PS Audio DirectStream. It sounds as if you concluded that an unbroken-in QX5 beat your broken-in DS ... is that right? Also, does your DS have the Bridge II network card? I added the BII to my DS recently and it took the DS's performance to another level. Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Have had the updated PS DAC in my system. No contest. I just posted about the differences on another thread earlier. Not putting down anyone else's DAC but this thing is just so musical and its sound is solid. Things are in the right place in the right scale. Mine only has about 200 hours on it so far and it gets better every day. Honestly I hear a lot of gear and this thing just amazes me daily and even the headphone amp is the best I've hear

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi and thanks for the post. I am looking at a QX5 as a possible replacement for my trusty PS Audio DirectStream. It sounds as if you concluded that an unbroken-in QX5 beat your broken-in DS ... is that right? Also, does your DS have the Bridge II network card? I added the BII to my DS recently and it took the DS's performance to another level. Thanks.

Frankly I don't really believe in "broken in" because it's all "guesswork". Having said that, on most Ayre gears, they don't sound right upon initial power up....but they need at least an hour to sound super.....you just got to keep them on standby.

My reference DAC on my rack was the Lumin S-1. The PS Audio Directstream is my secondary DAC. Yes, I bought the Bridge II to replace the original Bridge card. Both DACs are very good and that's why they are still on the rack, they just present good music in different flavors.

The Lumin S-1 somehow beats the Directstream just slightly on details with both running on ethernet. On the PS Audio, it is darker than the Lumin with clear void spaces between instruments when running on USB. The Directstream is catching up with all the frequent firmware updates. :)

Yes, you are right, my QX-5 is my reference DAC now.

Last night, I listened to some familiar tracks on the QX-5 and I realized how accurate phasing are.....rock solid and stable sound imaging that I have never encountered on my system before.

(Audio)

The one thing I've learned is that it's all about the implementation of the filtering. Ayre shares this chip with many others, but they have an exclusive I thought for their custom digital filtering which is minimal. I have heard the older Accuphase digital gear and it's outstanding. Well build, looks great on the shelf and it has always been highly musical with plenty of detail.

That said, I will see if my local dealer has it in yet. He carries the Ayre gear too, so it's a great place to go listen and audition. The one thing I've found is that there are few designers who get the digital and the analog filtering correct in the same product. Charlie just gets it and that's why he's so successful and continue to be on the leading edge of things. Accuphase also is leading edge and to me has always sounded better than most competitors, but for me, I feel that the Ayre gear seems to punch higher than their price points, where other top designers price things out a bit higher.

In speaking with a couple of folks who are utilizing this chip in their DACS (that are on the market or will about to be), they love working with it. Say that right now, there is so much they can get out of it IRT SQ. It's a very exciting time in digital, that's for sure.

I'll let you know what I hear if I'm able to listen side by side. I assume the Accuphase is already released in the US?

Would be interesting how the QX-5 compares to the Accuphase DC-950 (also ES9038Pro based, US$12.5k in Japan).

Accuphase Laboratory, Inc. DC-950

The one thing I've learned is that it's all about the implementation of the filtering. Ayre shares this chip with many others, but they have an exclusive I thought for their custom digital filtering which is minimal. I have heard the older Accuphase digital gear and it's outstanding. Well build, looks great on the shelf and it has always been highly musical with plenty of detail.

That said, I will see if my local dealer has it in yet. He carries the Ayre gear too, so it's a great place to go listen and audition. The one thing I've found is that there are few designers who get the digital and the analog filtering correct in the same product. Charlie just gets it and that's why he's so successful and continue to be on the leading edge of things. Accuphase also is leading edge and to me has always sounded better than most competitors, but for me, I feel that the Ayre gear seems to punch higher than their price points, where other top designers price things out a bit higher.

In speaking with a couple of folks who are utilizing this chip in their DACS (that are on the market or will about to be), they love working with it. Say that right now, there is so much they can get out of it IRT SQ. It's a very exciting time in digital, that's for sure.

I'll let you know what I hear if I'm able to listen side by side. I assume the Accuphase is already released in the US?

Really looking forward to reading your impressions.

Thanks, Audio and ctsooner, for your helpful perspectives. Is there a way to adjust the left-right balance in one or more of the QX-5's operational modes? I checked the QX-5 manual and did not see anything about balance control. (One nice thing about the DirectStream is the balance control aspect of the volume control.) If not, would it be possible for Ayre to add a balance control via a firmware update? Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Thanks, Audio and ctsooner, for your helpful perspectives. Is there a way to adjust the left-right balance in one or more of the QX-5's operational modes? I checked the QX-5 manual and did not see anything about balance control. (One nice thing about the DirectStream is the balance control aspect of the volume control.) If not, would it be possible for Ayre to add a balance control via a firmware update? Thanks.

I run through a top Ayre preamp in my integrated so I don't know if there is one. If it's not in the instructions I doubt it's there. Ayre typically keeps things very very simple, but I'll ask them. I never have used a balance control even when I have had one. I just assumed that if the equipment is working properly, that it wasn't needed, but I guess there are some who like it. Let me ask and post when I find out.

Ok, so here it is. There is and will be no balance or eq controls as that adds more to the signal path and they are all about the best sound possible. If you have to have balanced controls, then you will want to stick with your PS Audio. I checked on a couple of other DACS using digital controls for a pre out and they didn't have balanced either. He did understand why someone may want to use balance controls though. Hope this helps.

Ok, so here it is. There is and will be no balance or eq controls as that adds more to the signal path and they are all about the best sound possible. If you have to have balanced controls, then you will want to stick with your PS Audio. I checked on a couple of other DACS using digital controls for a pre out and they didn't have balanced either. He did understand why someone may want to use balance controls though. Hope this helps.

Hi and thanks for inquiring and posting the info. I am disappointed, but it is helpful to know and I understand Ayre's position. The main reason I like a balance control is because I have slight hearing loss in one ear and I sometimes like to compensate with a balance control adjustment. Doing so is especially helpful when listening via headphones. The QX-5's headphone amp volume control would not allow me to do that, apparently. Listening via loudspeakers would not be a problem for me, as my preamp (Levinson 326S) has an excellent balance control. Speaking of preamps, it looks like the Ayre KX-R preamp has a balance control, so Ayre is not opposed to balance controls in all instances. Thanks again.

I just looked at the users guide and didn't see a balanced volume control on the KX-5 Twenty. Where did you see that? Just curious. I now understand the desire for that type of control out of the headphone amp. That amp is the best one I've heard to date, but I haven't used it in the balanced out mode yet. I'm sure that one of the posters who uses the Ayre preamps will be able to post if they have it on their units. I don't see one on my AX5 either.

Hi and thanks for inquiring and posting the info. I am disappointed, but it is helpful to know and I understand Ayre's position. The main reason I like a balance control is because I have slight hearing loss in one ear and I sometimes like to compensate with a balance control adjustment. Doing so is especially helpful when listening via headphones. The QX-5's headphone amp volume control would not allow me to do that, apparently. Listening via loudspeakers would not be a problem for me, as my preamp (Levinson 326S) has an excellent balance control. Speaking of preamps, it looks like the Ayre KX-R preamp has a balance control, so Ayre is not opposed to balance controls in all instances. Thanks again.
I just looked at the users guide and didn't see a balanced volume control on the KX-5 Twenty. Where did you see that? Just curious. I now understand the desire for that type of control out of the headphone amp. That amp is the best one I've heard to date, but I haven't used it in the balanced out mode yet. I'm sure that one of the posters who uses the Ayre preamps will be able to post if they have it on their units. I don't see one on my AX5 either.

Hi, I saw that the Ayre KX-R preamp has a balance control on page 20 of the KX-R manual.

I read in a different thread on this site that Ayre's Charles Hansen is anti-MQA. I am too, although perhaps for different reasons. But if MQA catches on in the marketplace, I would like to have a DAC with the ability to decode MQA. Is it technically possible for Ayre to add MQA decoding to the QX-5 Twenty via a user-installable firmware update or via a factory-installed upgrade? Thanks.

Boot, if you have a full list of things you want to know, just make the list as it's easier than going back and forth with them. I'll do what I can to get your answers if I can't answer them myself or other posters can't. Just easier. Thanks

As for MQA, Ayre as well as many many other major companies is wait and see. No need for them to add something and pay licensing fees and charging us more for something that may or many not even catch on. Even with Tidal, they may or may not even get to stay in business (most of us pray they do!) and who knows how close they are to streaming it. I'm not an engineer, but if it becomes a hardware update, then those of us who own the QX5 Twenty will just send our units into Ayre to have them updated pretty close to the cost of hardware and labor and shipping. Pretty standard. I know they are to do that if needed. They did the same with DSD and honestly, very few folks I know other than audio stores even have DSD on their hard drives. They just wanted to get the best sounding DAC, Digital control preamp and high end headphone amp on the market as they've now done. They've already done one firmware update and will have more as we let them know of any problems going forward as well as any updates that will increase the sound quality.

They will answer any questions that we all have as they really want us to all have great user experiences. Charles Hansen himself even posts here at times to answer various questions folks have. I don't work for Ayre, just a proud owner of their AX5 Twenty and now QX5 Twenty. Hope my response helps going forward Bootz. As you can see they have been VERY quick in their responses to us in this thread and will continue to be responsive moving forward I promise. :)

I read in a different thread on this site that Ayre's Charles Hansen is anti-MQA. I am too, although perhaps for different reasons. But if MQA catches on in the marketplace, I would like to have a DAC with the ability to decode MQA. Is it technically possible for Ayre to add MQA decoding to the QX-5 Twenty via a user-installable firmware update or via a factory-installed upgrade? Thanks.

BTW all, I just want to make sure that you realize that my thoughts on MQA are mine and now Ayre's. I'm sure that they are watching it like they watch everything. Even my post about sending our units in to be upgraded is my thought based on what Ayre's always done with keeping their product cycles in the 7 year mark like everything else they have sold. After reading my post, I just to make sure the MQA stuff is mine and not their official thoughts. Thanks....

BTW all, I just want to make sure that you realize that my thoughts on MQA are mine and now Ayre's. I'm sure that they are watching it like they watch everything. Even my post about sending our units in to be upgraded is my thought based on what Ayre's always done with keeping their product cycles in the 7 year mark like everything else they have sold. After reading my post, I just to make sure the MQA stuff is mine and not their official thoughts. Thanks....

I assume you mean "and not Ayre's" ?

I found two things interesting in that review. Michael didn't find the QX benefited from optical Ethernet. Maybe I can just stick with my AQ Ethernet and keep it simple. He also didn't think the microRendu was a benefit. Ayre must have something special going on in the Ethernet input for that to be the case. Again, this would simplify my system and give me one more thing to sell to fund the QX-5 purchase, should I decide to pull the trigger.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.