IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Having avidly read the threads about the LPS-1... FINALLY...I've ordered one to pair with my microRendu (from Vortexbox in the UK). Looking forward to hearing what all the fuss is about !! ;)

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Having avidly read the threads about the LPS-1... FINALLY...I've ordered one to pair with my microRendu (from Vortexbox in the UK). Looking forward to hearing what all the fuss is about !! ;)

That's great! FedEx just picked up the big box with a dozen headed for VortexBox UK. This is the second dozen Martin has taken--and he e-mailed me yesterday saying they are all pre-sold and could he get another 12 right away (he'll be in line with everyone else for the early-mid-March batch).

I am delighted to have them representing us over there. And I'm grateful he has been will to since we are providing only a sliver of a discount--far less than typical dealer margin, though we do pick up the FedEx freight for that size order.

By the way, while we did not manage to ship a couple days ahead of schedule as has been the case these past months, we are today meeting our exact promised deadline of February 28th shipment for over 130 LPS-1 buyers of the past few weeks. Had to crank all weekend to do it (parts came in late, and the silly rubber feet did not get here until yesterday), but we really like to keep our ship date promises. It is the least we can do when someone trusts us in advance with their funds and are anxious to receive their new audio toys.

In less than an hour from now everyone who was promised February 28th will receive a notice with tracking number. :)

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

IMG_1209.JPG

That's good news.... I'm glad I managed to snuck in my order before he ran out...and thanks for your hard work in meeting orders. I will say that all dealings I've had with Martin at Vortexbox have been first class. You have no issues there !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

female female sata.jpg

Good news / bad news / Good news. Alex, I found these cables -- 2 female ends of 15 pin SATA. they mated correctly to the cables you suggested, and to the SSDs -- the adapter I showed earlier did not. BAd news: they didn't work. Not a matter of not enough power in the LPS1, just nothing getting thru. I suspect the pin outs of the cable aren't the same. I tried it without the splitter, just for one drive, and got the same results. Good news: the LPS1 is being used to good effect on my internet switch -- a modded affair from the folks at JPLay. A big improvement, and highly recommended.

Having said all that, you mentioned another way of using a jack spliced onto one end of a molex cable with the 15 pin female sata at the other end. Any info on where to get the jack and how to splice/solder correctly would be greatly appreciated. -- David

Sorry Larry, but no, 12V is the max that can be safely fed into an LPS-1.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

However, there are also some 13,8v safety type LPS with a fine-tuned voltage range between (for example 11-14v) to consider if not set to exceed 12v in any circumstance.

Personally, I would'nt be surprised if this switching mode power supply would prove to be a good feeder supply for the LPS-1 https://www.elfa.se/sv/laboratorienaetaggregat-kan-12-vdc-manson-sps-8041/p/16963707 ?

🎛️  Audio System  

However, there are also some 13,8v safety type LPS with a fine-tuned voltage range between (for example 11-14v) to consider if not set to exceed 12v in any circumstance.

Personally, I would'nt be surprised if this switching mode power supply would prove to be a good feeder supply for the LPS-1 https://www.elfa.se/sv/laboratorienaetaggregat-kan-12-vdc-manson-sps-8041/p/16963707 ?

Cornan, thanks for this but it won't work as we are in a 120 volt world here.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Cornan, thanks for this but it won't work as we are in a 120 volt world here.

Manson is a Taiwanese company that are present worldwide. It is possible to order this with other input voltages (selectable according to specs). However, I haven't looked if there is any around of this perticular one though. I just took it for granted! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Personally, I would'nt be surprised if this switching mode power supply would prove to be a good feeder supply for the LPS-1 https://www.elfa.se/sv/laboratorienaetaggregat-kan-12-vdc-manson-sps-8041/p/16963707

But why?! Nothing better about that SMPS than the 7.5V/2.93A/22W Mean Well we provide with the LPS-1.

And again, a linear supply as the "energizing"/charging supply does NOT improve the output of the LPS-1. Plus the LPS-1 blocks the primary evil of an SMPS--its high leakage current--from being a factor.

Sorry, but these discussions of alternate "energizing"/charging supplies for the LPS-1 will shortly be moved from here to the appropriate thread on the subject:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/discussions-alternate-energizing-charging-ps-units-use-ultracap-linear-power-supply-1-not-any-will-make-any-difference-output-30026/

But why?! Nothing better about that SMPS than the 7.5V/2.93A/22W Mean Well we provide with the LPS-1.

And again, a linear supply as the "energizing"/charging supply does NOT improve the output of the LPS-1. Plus the LPS-1 blocks the primary evil of an SMPS--its high leakage current--from being a factor.

Sorry, but these discussions of alternate "energizing"/charging supplies for the LPS-1 will shortly be moved from here to the appropriate thread on the subject:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/discussions-alternate-energizing-charging-ps-units-use-ultracap-linear-power-supply-1-not-any-will-make-any-difference-output-30026/

That was my point. A safety style SMPS usually take greater care of the AC main connection as a part of the safety concern than a stock dito would.

I did'nt say it would improve the output of the LPS-1, which is already galvanicly isolated.

You can also get a isolation transformer with floating secondary for the supplied SMPS.

🎛️  Audio System  

My LPS-1 has finally arrived (via VortexBox UK). Looking forward to using this in earnest.

A question about the DC plug from an ifi Supply into the LPS - Should this be fully seated into the LPS up to the edge of the plastic collar (Other plugs do this)? ..., I've pushed it in as hard as I dare and it stands about 4-5 mm proud. I don't want to force it in too hard and break anything !!

My LPS-1 has finally arrived (via VortexBox UK). Looking forward to using this in earnest.

A question about the DC plug from an ifi Supply into the LPS - Should this be fully seated into the LPS up to the edge of the plastic collar (Other plugs do this)? ..., I've pushed it in as hard as I dare and it stands about 4-5 mm proud. I don't want to force it in too hard and break anything !!

Have you tried some of those other iFi plugs ?

If you ordered with the Meanwell PS, use that.

Have you tried some of those other iFi plugs ?

If you ordered with the Meanwell PS, use that.

No, I didn't order the Meanwell... I'm using the IfI I had before.

The same IfI plugged into the microRendu fully.

So, what happens if you use that plug that came with the LPS-1, and insert it into the supply of the LPS-1 ?

The one that is meant for the MicroRendu.

Then you may understand if plugs are different or equal.

But as I said, you better try different iFi plugs.

I'm not at home, so I can't supply you with idiot proof guide and pics.

And yes, the plug should be fully seated in.

...And yes, the plug should be fully seated in.

Thank-you... I'll investigate further, as you suggest. I just wanted to know about the seating first and you have confirmed that.

Alex -- I wanted to update you and any other forum posters who might be interested in powering SSD's in their servers with the LPS1. I'll skip first to the bottom line/ good news: It does work, and the upgrade from doing so is indeed significant. What is amazing is that my Zuma server was already powered by a 12v Mojo Audio external LPS -- a very high quality source. Further, I have my whole rig plugged into a Shunyata Denali. Nevertheless, getting the 3 internal SSDs (two 1-TB Samsung EVO drives for my library and one 125-GB Samsung EVO for the OS) onto the LPS1 made the presentation much more organic and relaxed -- the "electronic signature" had been whittled down.

As you can note from my posts, this tweak took a little research/effort. The adapter you first recommended, which changes the DC plug into a male 15-pin SATA termination has a flaw. As I learned from the Samsung spec sheet, the outer SATA pins accept 3.5v and 12v-- the ones down the middle are the 5v hot/ground ones. For some reason, that MOddiy adapter at the SATA end has the output on either the 3.5 or 12v end (cant tell which).

So I did a little creative splicing: I snipped off the male adapter SATA termination. I had a female - female Sata cable, and snipped off one end. I took the 2 leads from the first (which has the DC plug at the other end) and mated it to the leads that went down the middle of the female SATA termination. I plugged the female end into the SSD and Voila! Worked like a charm.

Even better is the proof that the SSD's don't need a lot of power. Tests show the 1-TB drives draw a max of 0.6 amps each. the lower capacity SSDs draw less. So, in theory, if the 2 1-tb drives were both read/writing max at the same time, it could hit the limit of the LPS1. But they don't because only one plays at a time. There is apparently more than enough overhead for one library SSD + OS SSD to run.

So there you have another LPS1 success story -- I might post it elsewhere on the Uptone forum. Anyone who wants more details, just ask. As a side note, I've got another LPS1 on order for my internet switch, bringing me up to 3 LPS1s. Is that a record? -- David

Hi David:

I am so sorry, I steered you wrong! I was so excited seeing a DC barrel cable on a SATA power cable that I was not looking closely enough at the Moddiy cable to see that it is a male SATA power connector, not a female as most all SATA drives require.

Sadly, nobody that I have been able to find offers a pre-made female SATA power to DC plug or jack. So the best you can do is to pick up one of these ubiquitous SATA to Molex cables and to cut the Molex end and attache a DC plug or jack.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B00STNUB04

Most folks put a DC panel jack on them and mount it to a hole in the back of the computer chassis. That way you can externally plug/unplug a DC cable to your LPS.

Wish I had the time to make and offer an array of cables for all these sorts of things.

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi: This does not make sense to me since not only do both the LPS-1 and the microRendu us the same size jack (5.5mm x 2.1mm), I believe they use the exact same part number from the same manufacturer!

Hi: This does not make sense to me since not only do both the LPS-1 and the microRendu us the same size jack (5.5mm x 2.1mm), I believe they use the exact same part number from the same manufacturer!

Thank-you.. It may be me just being cautious... The DC cable out plugged in and seated quite easily. I'll check the the plug and try again a bit later.... after I've got over the initial shock of the amazing sound I'm hearing !!

Alex -- I wanted to update you and any other forum posters who might be interested in powering SSD's in their servers with the LPS1. I'll skip first to the bottom line/ good news: It does work, and the upgrade from doing so is indeed significant. What is amazing is that my Zuma server was already powered by a 12v Mojo Audio external LPS -- a very high quality source. Further, I have my whole rig plugged into a Shunyata Denali. Nevertheless, getting the 3 internal SSDs (two 1-TB Samsung EVO drives for my library and one 125-GB Samsung EVO for the OS) onto the LPS1 made the presentation much more organic and relaxed -- the "electronic signature" had been whittled down.

As you can note from my posts, this tweak took a little research/effort. The adapter you first recommended, which changes the DC plug into a male 15-pin SATA termination has a flaw.

......snip....

So there you have another LPS1 success story -- I might post it elsewhere on the Uptone forum. Anyone who wants more details, just ask. As a side note, I've got another LPS1 on order for my internet switch, bringing me up to 3 LPS1s. Is that a record? -- David

Hi David:

That's great news! Thanks for posting about it, and yes, perhaps another thread giving people examples of how the LPS-1 can be used for SSDs--and other such devices--would be helpful. Feel free to start one.

But perhaps leave off your confusing mishap with the SATA adapters and gender-changers. If I had recommended the correct--and most readily available items in the first place (https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B00STNUB04 for the SATA cable and https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Supply-Adapter-Socket-Single/dp/B00EQ1UWX4 for the DC jack to solder to it), then you would have been in business much sooner. ;)

Regards,

--Alex C.

Hi David:

That's great news! Thanks for posting about it, and yes, perhaps another thread giving people examples of how the LPS-1 can be used for SSDs--and other such devices--would be helpful. Feel free to start one.

But perhaps leave off your confusing mishap with the SATA adapters and gender-changers. If I had recommended the correct--and most readily available items in the first place (https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B00STNUB04 for the SATA cable and https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Supply-Adapter-Socket-Single/dp/B00EQ1UWX4 for the DC jack to solder to it), then you would have been in business much sooner. ;)

Regards,

--Alex C.

Alex -- Thanks, I will snip out the confusing splice detail. I agree it's better to focus on the right way to do it. I'm going to order the jacks and re-do mine. -- David

Alex -- Thanks, I will snip out the confusing splice detail. I agree it's better to focus on the right way to do it. I'm going to order the jacks and re-do mine. -- David

A couple of things: It might be nice to be able to refer folks to a longer version of the SATA power cable I linked to above--but I have not seen any. And if someone intends to keep this all external to the computer, then instead of soldering on the panel-mount DC jack I linked to, they should buy an in-line female 5.5mm x 2.1mm jack with cover shell/strain-relief.

If I ever find a Chinese source for a longer SATA>Molex, I might order 50, get some decent female jacks (perhaps a mix of panel-mount and in-line), and offer such a cable. I keep my current assistant way too busy to have her soldering cables, and I would be crazy to use my time to do them, but my next hire is going to need some soldering skills, so perhaps then. It's a super-easy cable to make if the SATA plug is already on it.

As you can note from my posts, this tweak took a little research/effort. The adapter you first recommended, which changes the DC plug into a male 15-pin SATA termination has a flaw. As I learned from the Samsung spec sheet, the outer SATA pins accept 3.5v and 12v-- the ones down the middle are the 5v hot/ground ones. For some reason, that MOddiy adapter at the SATA end has the output on either the 3.5 or 12v end (cant tell which).

So I did a little creative splicing: I snipped off the male adapter SATA termination. I had a female - female Sata cable, and snipped off one end. I took the 2 leads from the first (which has the DC plug at the other end) and mated it to the leads that went down the middle of the female SATA termination. I plugged the female end into the SSD and Voila! Worked like a charm.

Even better is the proof that the SSD's don't need a lot of power. Tests show the 1-TB drives draw a max of 0.6 amps each. the lower capacity SSDs draw less. So, in theory, if the 2 1-tb drives were both read/writing max at the same time, it could hit the limit of the LPS1. But they don't because only one plays at a time. There is apparently more than enough overhead for one library SSD + OS SSD to run.

So power the internal SSD in the SonicTransporter i5 + and external SSD for the USB, would most likely raise SQ.

Attempting [emoji3]

I assume this is one place a Y-spit is ok, and shouldn't make any issues.

How I wish the cables could be bought pre made.

Including a cable for series connect the LPS-1.

So far no one has not said it's not possible to run a SonicTransporter i5 from dual setup of MicroRendu's.

It uses 8W and 12 V. Isn't that less than 1A ?

Am I wrong?

So power the internal SSD in the SonicTransporter i5 + and external SSD for the USB, would most likely raise SQ.

Attempting [emoji3]

I assume this is one place a Y-spit is ok, and shouldn't make any issues.

How I wish the cables could be bought pre made.

Including a cable for series connect the LPS-1.

So far no one has not said it's not possible to run a SonicTransporter i5 from dual setup of MicroRendu's.

It uses 8W and 12 V. Isn't that less than 1A ?

Am I wrong?

I apologize -- I can't really visualize your system and am not knowledgeable enough in general to really give you guidance. All I can say is that I split the cable in my system to power 3 SSD's, and it seems to work fine. -- David