IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Just now, rogerdn said:

Hmmm, I have this Amazon but don't I need three males ?

Other than Ghent's custom cables, I don't think you will find a facotry'Y' cable with 3 males.  There is no call for it.  If you want to use the one I linked to, you use the stock male/male cable that came with the LPS-1 to feed the female of the 'Y' cable. 

On 2017-6-10 at 7:42 AM, JohnSwenson said:

The LPS-1 input is a switching regulator, this pulls a constant POWER. Thus if you use a higher voltage you need less current, lower voltage, higher current. Most linear supplies don't work this way, if the output takes an amp the input takes an amp. Thus for a linear supply feeding an LPS-1 you want to draw as least amount of current as possible, this happens at 12V, that is the lowest current from the feeder supply.

The maximum input voltage is 12V, so DON'T use the variable output set to higher than 12V.

John S.

Hi John,

I see the max input voltage for the LPS-1 is 12V.  Just wonder if there is any headroom?  I have a cheap SMPS that may output 12V but worry that it may output say 12.3V.  Hence I refrain from using it as the energizer of the LPS-1.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, greenleo said:

I have a cheap SMPS that may output 12V but worry that it may output say 12.3V.  Hence I refrain from using it as the energizer of the LPS-1.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I have a suggestion:  Don't use a dodgy cheap SMPS to power your LPS-1!  Just use the reliable, 7.5V/22W/2.93A Mean Well we provide.  That way you won't have to worry about harming your nice ultracapacitor supply.  ¬¬

If can post pictures of what a destroyed LPS-1 looks like.  There is a specific set of parts that go up in smoke if a bad supply is used.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Yes, I have a suggestion:  Don't use a dodgy cheap SMPS to power your LPS-1!  Just use the reliable, 7.5V/22W/2.93A Mean Well we provide.  That way you won't have to worry about harming your nice ultracapacitor supply.  ¬¬

If can post pictures of what a destroyed LPS-1 looks like.  There is a specific set of parts that go up in smoke if a bad supply is used.

Alex, I've got your SMPS but more than one LPS-1 (as I said, I'm a fans of Uptone).  The 7.5V SMPS cannot power two LPS-1s concurrently (or can it?). using the DC Y-cable as suggested by you.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Will a 12V iFi iPower work?

Alex, I've got your SMPS but more than one LPS-1 (as I said, I'm a fans of Uptone).  The 7.5V SMPS cannot power two LPS-1s concurrently (or can it?). using the DC Y-cable as suggested by you.

DC 'Y' cable was only ever suggested for the OUTPUT side of an LPS-1.

No, a single 7.5V/22W Mean Well can not power 2 LPS-1s.  

A single LPS-1 requires a reliable 18 watt PS.  That can be a 7.5V/2.5A, a 9V/2A, or a 12V/1.5A (notice how if you multiply any of those V/A pairs you come up with 18W?).

So if you are fixed on powering two LPS-1s from a single supply, then double each of the above amperage requirements.  Or just e-mail me to oreder another Mean Well for $15 (plus shipping).  :)

1 hour ago, mikey8811 said:

Will a 12V iFi iPower work?

It will, but why not use that for something else?  The LPS-1's output does not benefit in the least from an improved "energizer"/charger supply.  That is the whole point of our unique, isolated, leakage current blocking, bank-switching, never connected to the mains design.

DC 'Y' cable was only ever suggested for the OUTPUT side of an LPS-1.

No, a single 7.5V/22W Mean Well can not power 2 LPS-1s.  

A single LPS-1 requires a reliable 18 watt PS.  That can be a 7.5V/2.5A, a 9V/2A, or a 12V/1.5A (notice how if you multiply any of those V/A pairs you come up with 18W?).

So if you are fixed on powering two LPS-1s from a single supply, then double each of the above amperage requirements.  Or just e-mail me to oreder another Mean Well for $15 (plus shipping).  :)

Mine may output 12V @ 5A.  I do not want two SMPS because of space constraints, not money matters.  Given that LPS-1 is immune to the energizer, it would be great if mine works.

By the way, LPS-1 powered microRendu shows static charges or micro vibrations upon touching.  How can I fix it?

On 6/15/2017 at 9:17 AM, greenleo said:

By the way, LPS-1 powered microRendu shows static charges or micro vibrations upon touching.  How can I fix it?

I hear this with my iFi power supply as well. If you take the PCB out of the case, the effect disappears (not recommended!!!)

Not everybody can hear it, I guess this is how to distinguish a music lover from an audiophile? :-D

My solution: don't touch the mR ;o)

12 minutes ago, andifor said:

I hear this with my iFi power supply as well. If you take the PCB out of the case, the effect disappears (not recommended!!!)

Not everybody can hear it, I guess this is how to distinguish a music lover from an audiophile? :-D

My solution: don't touch the mR ;o)

What are you saying you hear?  The static potential "micro-vibrations" on the case of a microRendu?  You HEAR that?  Color me skeptical.  o.O

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

What are you saying you hear?  The static potential "micro-vibrations" on the case of a microRendu?  You HEAR that?  Color me skeptical.  o.O

What color do you have in mind? ;o)

I don't know what I hear, but I hear (and feel) vibration. I don't hear the vibration if I don't touch the mR. I checked this with 4 different guys in the office. 2 others could hear this "noise" being 40 to 50 cm away, one had to be very close, one couldn't hear it at all.

I asked our EE guy to open the case in his lab. After taking out the PCB, I could touch it without hearing the noise. I checked two different power supplies (the iFi and some lab device, not your LPS-1, as the LPS arrived after my tests). Anyway, this is about the mR and doesn't really belong in this thread.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, Superdad said:

Not at all!  If the physical layout with the impedance-controlled USPCB A>B Adapter works for you, then the our piece should sound better than ANY cable.  :)

Ok then if I must use one USB cable is one place better than the other, IR > DAC or uR > IR, trying to decide cable lengths to order. 

And I've tried two of those Amazon split power cables and neither make a reliable connection with my uR, but they work with everything else, while yours and a custom I have both do.  Wondering if anyone else has had this too. 

rogerdn

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Alex,

Whenever I touch the chassis, I feel sort of electrostatics or micro vibrations.  Any explanatios?

Given that I use LPS-1 to power mR, which is a DC isolated from the main, I can't understand why electrostatic come in.  

Please chime in Alex or John to resolve the case.

5 hours ago, greenleo said:

Whenever I touch the chassis, I feel sort of electrostatics or micro vibrations.  Any explanatios?

Given that I use LPS-1 to power mR, which is a DC isolated from the main, I can't understand why electrostatic come in. 

I bet you don't feel it if there is no DAC connected to the USB port of the microRendu.  It is probably from the chassis potential of you DAC.

I bet you don't feel it if there is no DAC connected to the USB port of the microRendu.  It is probably from the chassis potential of you DAC.

Thank you for the reply Alex. 

I've just detached for more than 10 minutes both the USB cable and the LAN cable from the mR.  Hence it is now only powered by LPS-1.   The electrostatic and micro vibration is still there.  You may try.  

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

The electrostatic and micro vibration is still there.

This is just a shot in the dark, but reading your description of the problem, makes me think of trying a little isolation of the PCB and the case. I'm assuming that the arrangement is similar to the Regen, in that the PCB slides into the case between two raised ridges on the two narrow sides of the oval metal case. I thought that wrapping one, or both edges of the PCB (the edges that slide into the case rails) with a small strip of fine silk or brown kraft paper (shopping bags), might isolate the vibration.

I don't know how much dimensional tolerance there is between the case rails and the PCB, which is why I suggested such thin insulating materials. Others could work too, as long as they are non conductive and thin enough to fit.

Cheap and quick to try, and not much to lose in trying  :)

Thank you for the reply Alex. 

I've just detached for more than 10 minutes both the USB cable and the LAN cable from the mR.  Hence it is now only powered by LPS-1.   The electrostatic and micro vibration is still there.  You may try. 

I just did.  Nothing.   Try it with no power supply even attached to the microRendu.  That is, no cords at all.  If you are using your light fingers on the case, then what you are feeling is the micro-vibrations of your fingers on the smooth anodized finish of the enclosure.  That's all I feel.

There is no static build-up on the enclosure.

1 hour ago, Daudio said:

This is just a shot in the dark, but reading your description of the problem, makes me think of trying a little isolation of the PCB and the case. I'm assuming that the arrangement is similar to the Regen, in that the PCB slides into the case between two raised ridges on the two narrow sides of the oval metal case. I thought that wrapping one, or both edges of the PCB (the edges that slide into the case rails) with a small strip of fine silk or brown kraft paper (shopping bags), might isolate the vibration.

I don't know how much dimensional tolerance there is between the case rails and the PCB, which is why I suggested such thin insulating materials. Others could work too, as long as they are non conductive and thin enough to fit.

Cheap and quick to try, and not much to lose in trying  :)

You gents need to decide if what @greenleo is experiencing is vibration or electrical current. O.o

The case of the microRendu (and the LPS-2 and REGENs) is fully anodized.  And the edges of the boards that slide into the extrusion do not have any exposed metal to ground to the case even if the case had bare metal.  

That said, I just checked and for some reason the USB jack of my microRendu (but not the shell of the Ethernet jack) does have electrical continuity to the case screws (which are self-tapping sheet metal screws which cut through the anodizing of the case extrusion.  That means that the case (at least on my unit) is also common (connected) to the DC power ground.  I do not know what the implications of this are.  Maybe John will chime in.

But really this is a microRendu issue (or non-issue) and ought to be discussed further in Sonore's forum.  

As mentioned above, I do not experience any "micro-vibration" or electrostatic on the surface of my microRendu when powered by an LPS-1.