IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

• 2 weeks later...

I want to replace the iFi iPower PS for the LPS-1 and have been looking to see what's available in Europe ... has anyone used one of these.... ?

https://mcru.co.uk/product/regulated-linear-power-supply-for-uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1/?v=11aedd0e4327

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

1 hour ago, Charente said:

I want to replace the iFi iPower PS for the LPS-1 and have been looking to see what's available in Europe ... has anyone used one of these.... ?

https://mcru.co.uk/product/regulated-linear-power-supply-for-uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1/?v=11aedd0e4327

I don't have any experience with this MCRU product, but I went through the same thought process.  I eventually decided it was better to spend my money on the newer LPS1.2 with its improved Uptone SMPS than worry about the energizing power supply to LPS-1.

1 hour ago, Charente said:

I want to replace the iFi iPower PS

You mean you have a iFi SMPS ?

How about this one ;

https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-9-10v/sonore-ultra-rendu

I don’t think you will notice much, if any difference. Test with a battery, and you will get an indication.

(It measure a bit better on battery power). 

Better spend money on a LPS-1.2 and add another Meanwell to the order. 

Did you try the JSGT in the Ifi ?

Notice any difference ?

@EMMM & @R1200CL ... thank-you both.

I am more concerned about the noise the iFi SMPS puts into the AC line to affect other equipment ... earlier tests with/without the iFi (using a friend's PS) demonstrated how noticeably bad it was and I promised myself to replace it at some point.

I'll take a look at the SBooster ... a LPS-1.2 did cross my mind ... they are quite a bit more money in Europe  (US$525+ equiv) so I thought I would focus on finding a suitable locally sourced PS first.

Sorry ... what is 'JSGT in the iFi' ? Been away from the forum for a while and I may have missed some nuggets of information. What does it do to the iFi ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

• 1 year later...

@Superdad The power went out last night (tree down), and the only thing that wouldn't fire up this morning was the LPS-1 powering my opticalModule. The Uptone 36w charging SMPS works fine. Opening it up there's a bit of black flashing on the top of R93 (transistor?)that is labeled 200. That was the only thing at all was noticeable. Is this something fixable? Or do you think there's more? We rarely have power outages or lightning strikes around here and this is the first piece of gear I've ever had fried from an outage. 

Thanks, Charles

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

@Superdad The power went out last night (tree down), and the only thing that wouldn't fire up this morning was the LPS-1 powering my opticalModule.

Hi Charles:

Sorry to hear that your UltraCap unit may have failed. Please contact us directly (via our web site contact form or with my private e-mail address if you have it) and we can arrange for prompt repair.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

• 4 months later...

Dear all,
I'm using Uptone LPS-1 with Sonore Ultrarendu.
I have some problems with my power supply since last week it had been damaged and gone outwork (with a little smell). 
I've been send my LPS-1 for the local expert, cause I haven't opportunity to send it to USA (I've bought my devices in the USA, but currently I'm living in Ukraine).
The local expert had identified that the damage was happened with input pulse stabilizer (marked as REG8 on the back side of the board, near above L2).
As it was damaged, it can't be identified correctly.
Can somebody please provide an exact serial number of the highlighted input pulse stabilizer with the aim of replacing it for a new one.

I mean that I can't find any photo in internet with a high resolution that can allow me to identify it correctly, perhaps somebody have their own photos or can do it. See the photo attached (marked by red).
Will be much appreciate for the highlighted information :)

Uptone lps-1.jpeg

1 hour ago, VladST said:

Can somebody please provide an exact serial number of the highlighted input pulse stabilizer with the aim of replacing it for a new one.

I mean that I can't find any photo in internet with a high resolution that can allow me to identify it correctly, perhaps somebody have their own photos or can do it. See the photo attached (marked by red).

Hi:

Sorry to see that your early 2016 LPS-1 has been damaged. REG8 is a Linear Technology LT8612 synchronous buck regulator with 28 pads in a QFN package. There must have been a VERY large spike (18V+) from whatever supply you were using to charge the unit, as that's what typically can blow a hole in that regulator. Not only will field replacement of that part be very difficult, but there are likely other parts on the board which are also damaged (even if you do not see visible signs).

I believe you are already working with Yuriy, who is a Sonore dealer there? He sent me that photo of your unit last week and we made a generous offer to him for an upgrade--of your out-of-warranty unit--to the new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2. Such will be a much better deal for you than shipping your LPS-1 here and paying for repair.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

• 3 months later...
39 minutes ago, plakey said:

Howdy folks. My UltraCap™ LPS-1, purchased in 2017, has stopped working.... it first showed solid red light, and then the light went off completely. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what should I do?

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty.  I would say to contact us directly but I have a feeling you already have and are awaiting a reply. This has been a challenging week here, with literally a hundred different e-mails to reply to. So I ask your patience and promise you will receive a reply soon.  If I am incorrect and you have not yet sent a message, please do so via the Contact Us page on out website.

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

@Superdad I have my LPS-1 as well but in the last time since i spent most of the time in my home due to quarantine, i listened to a tick sound coming from LPS-1 and when i set close to it, it seems the sound came from a capacitors during it's recharging cycle.

Is this a normal situation or what, kindly advice?

The very quiet "tick" sound you hear is coming from the large inductor on the circuit board, not from the capacitors (and there are no relays for the bank alternation, just solid-state transistor switches). What you hear is normal; happens with some units or develops over time. Does not affect performance at all.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The very quiet "tick" sound you hear is coming from the large inductor on the circuit board, not from the capacitors (and there are no relays for the bank alternation, just solid-state transistor switches). What you hear is normal; happens with some units or develops over time. Does not affect performance at all.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Really appreciate your feedback thanks Alex.