IGNORED

How much of your music do you actually listen to?

Jud

The two are not mutually exclusive.

+1

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

<...>

I do believe something is wrong <...>

Yes it is. I do believe. If you could convince a dog and a spouse you like the same type of music (I couldn't) it would make things easier. Maybe. Anyway, I have 1.17 Tb of Grateful Dead music - free downloads, not free downloads and rips, 30 or so sets of Beethoven sonatas, 40 Goldbergs, Wagner operas in every period recordings, Bach, Mozart, Led Zeppelin, Crosby, Stills... no, even my dog will not be able to listen all of this.

I listen to 100% of my music as I listen in alphabetical order, it takes me about 4 months as I am retired.

I usually listen to a newly acquired album once or twice, then put it in normal alphabetical rotation.

I use my Infinity Reference Standard 7 Kappa speakers before 11 PM, my Sennheiser headphones after 11 PM.

I discover new high resolution music by listening to the sound samples on the high resolution download sites. I use hraudio.net to discover new SACDs. If I think I might like the entire album and it is available on SACD, I get it on SACD as that is usually less expensive and I actually prefer physical formats. If it’s not available on SACD or I only want one or two selections from the album I buy the high resolution music files. For many albums HDtracks and Acoustic Sounds don’t offer single tracks, however eClassical and Native DSD do.

I don't use streaming services.

I might be in the minority here because my music collection is relatively small, which means that over the course of, say, two years, I listen to well over 80% of it, maybe even more than 90%.

I have about 300 discs (mostly CDs, with maybe 15% SACDs and DVD-As). I've ripped every CD and DVD-A, and maybe 1/3 of my SACDs, for backup/archive purposes, and about 2/3 of them are in my iTunes library. The rest of my iTunes library, which totals about 7500 songs, is stuff I don't own on disc, and I think I listen to that stuff at about the same rate as the discs - 80-90% of it listened to at least once over the course of a year or two...

Well, your collection is larger than mine according to my Music Collector database I have 393 albums, partial albums or single songs and 4114 tracks (songs). I don't have any of my physical formats on my computer, I just play them on my Blu-ray SACD player.

Perhaps a better way to list this is by playing time, since all my physical formats are complete albums and only about half of my downloads are complete albums.

Physical Formats (Music Blu-ray, Music DVD, HRx DVD, SACD, HDCD, XRCD, and CD) 224 hours 27 minutes

Computer Music Files: 104 hours 9 minutes

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

My wife is retiring when we move, but I'll need to work a few more years to keep her in the style to which she wishes to become accustomed. ;)

We'd like to do some traveling, particularly after I retire. Fixing (or maintaining) things, hopefully quite a bit less than currently.

So yes, I am (perhaps naively) hoping to have more time for both exercise and listening to music.

Jud, Remember youths health is fleeting as we age and life is unfortunately waaaay to short. Forget the "(perhaps naively)" part and make decisive moves to get to the retirement stage. I could have hung in the rat race a little (lot) longer and come out in a much stronger financial position but to what real end? I had to dial back my planned living standard and lifestyle quite a bit to retire when I did but have never regretted one bit of it. Don't wait till it's too late just to have a fancier home or more cash in the bank, all the superficial things. They won't mean a thing if your health fails or worse. Let the sleep apnea etc; be the writing on the wall of how lives current stress level is affecting you now and in determining your future.

Go for the gusto while you still can!

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Jud, Remember youths health is fleeting as we age and life is unfortunately waaaay to short. Forget the "(perhaps naively)" part and make decisive moves to get to the retirement stage. I could have hung in the rat race a little (lot) longer and come out in a much stronger financial position but to what real end? I had to dial back my planned living standard and lifestyle quite a bit to retire when I did but have never regretted one bit of it. Don't wait till it's too late just to have a fancier home or more cash in the bank, all the superficial things. They won't mean a thing if your health fails or worse. Let the sleep apnea etc; be the writing on the wall of how lives current stress level is affecting you now and in determining your future.

Thank you for the sentiment, Sal, it's much appreciated. I think I'll be quite happy working from home for just a few more years to the point I always planned to retire. But if I'm not, nothing prevents me from leaving.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I listen to roughly 50% of my music collection. The reason being that I curate every album I rip or download, keeping only the tracks I really like in my ''active'' database. The rest are archived in case I change my mind someday. Theoretically I could listen randomly to my active collection without feeling the urge to skip a tune - it's all meat and no filler. If a tune pops up that does not meet the standard it gets deleted. Thinning of the herd.

"Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away"
Thank you for the sentiment, Sal, it's much appreciated. I think I'll be quite happy working from home for just a few more years to the point I always planned to retire. But if I'm not, nothing prevents me from leaving.

Okie Doke.

Think I'll mix me a cocktail and go down to the pool for a midnight swim. ;)

Cheers

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I listen to about half of my collection. I normally pick an artist, and play four or five CDs of that artist after my wife goes to bed. She had a girls dining diva party today, so I get to enjoy around a 10 hour listening session today. At 6 hours so far. With Roon Tidal, I listen to additional works from artists I have, or are similar. I have my favorites, and they get a lot of play.

"Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away"

I agree with this.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Sorry to butt in but I can really identify with what those thoughts. I repeat them to myself everyday. My wife and myself both went through serious illnesses the past year. She has announced her retirement while I continue punishing my body in a physically and mentally grueling job that I had to take 6 years ago after my previous job was ended due to a chapter 11. While I'm not ready for retirement (financially and psychologically) I have to face the fact that the current pace is really taking its toll. At my age another job change is almost unthinkable. Just the thought of redoing a resume and going through ''the game'' kills me.

I need to win a lottery.

Jud, Remember youths health is fleeting as we age and life is unfortunately waaaay to short.

The critical corollary to this truism is that we grow old too soon and smart too late. So to honor this thread, I've been listening only to music I haven't accessed in over a year. I just listened to a great old Marcia Ball album (Presumed Innocent) and loved it. I'd totally forgotten the tunes and the fact that Delbert McClinton's on a few of them with her.

I'm now listening to all of the albums I haven't heard in over a year, one by one. I'm not buy any new music (except really rare stuff) until I get through what I have. In the last few days, I've heard about a dozen long-neglected albums and loved them all - so I thankfully knew what I was doing when I bought them.

Meanwhile, this septuagenarian audiophile plans to boogie with equanimity through whatever happens to me between now and my run-out groove. I'm a firm believer in the wisdom of Paul Barrere as expressed in his classic "Old Folks' Boogie":

Off our rockers, actin' crazy

With the right medication we won't be lazy

Doin' the old folks boogie

Down on the farm

Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm

Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms

Gives us jus' one more chance

To spin one more yarn

I listen to this album more often every year - here's a great version of the tune by Barrere and company (Little Feat - the greatest rock band in history!!!):

The critical corollary to this truism is that we grow old too soon and smart too late. So to honor this thread, I've been listening only to music I haven't accessed in over a year. I just listened to a great old Marcia Ball album (Presumed Innocent) and loved it. I'd totally forgotten the tunes and the fact that Delbert McClinton's on a few of them with her.

I'm now listening to all of the albums I haven't heard in over a year, one by one. I'm not buy any new music (except really rare stuff) until I get through what I have. In the last few days, I've heard about a dozen long-neglected albums and loved them all - so I thankfully knew what I was doing when I bought them.

Meanwhile, this septuagenarian audiophile plans to boogie with equanimity through whatever happens to me between now and my run-out groove. I'm a firm believer in the wisdom of Paul Barrere as expressed in his classic "Old Folks' Boogie":

Off our rockers, actin' crazy

With the right medication we won't be lazy

Doin' the old folks boogie

Down on the farm

Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm

Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms

Gives us jus' one more chance

To spin one more yarn

I listen to this album more often every year - here's a great version of the tune by Barrere and company (Little Feat - the greatest rock band in history!!!):

I had Little Feat tickets (when Lowell was alive). Then a law school final was scheduled the next morning - entire grade for the semester. I had to miss it. Still gripes me (as does the same thing happening in college with George Harrison).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

wOOt.

Thanks for the reminder bluesman.. I just loaded my 2 LP rip of Waiting For Columbus (MFSL 2-013) into the player que for later tonight. Last seen the Feat in 1997 at the downtown Chicago House of Blues. Kick Ass night! Don't remember any more if I ever saw them back in the 70s when George was still alive :( Repercussions of a youth mis-spent. LOL

"And You Know That You're Over the Hill

When Your Mind Makes a Promise That Your Body Can't Fill"

That's just cruel.

Bruuuuhahahha. ;)

So you missed the final, Jud?

crying-with-laughter.gif

So you missed the final, Jud?

crying-with-laughter.gif

Looking back, I would have loved to, but at the time I just couldn't even consider it.

I was lucky to see Little Feat at the Rainbow in London in 1977 - Mick Taylor joined them on stage for a couple of numbers.

Still really miss that line-up.

Mark

Main: Roon->Auralic Polaris ->Chord Silver Carnival ->Martin Logan EM-ESL

Office: Roon->iMac 2017->Auralic Aries Mini->Chord Mojo->PS Audio Sprout->Harbeth P3ESR or Stax SR-L500

Never saw them. Still think "Waiting for Columbus" is one of the best albums ever.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I was lucky to see Little Feat at the Rainbow in London in 1977 - Mick Taylor joined them on stage for a couple of numbers. Still really miss that line-up. Mark

In line with the OP, I've added my few concert DVDs to the list of music that I've neglected. So I pulled out John Mayall's 70th birthday concert, which has Mick Taylor playing several tunes with the band. Taylor was the 3rd guitarist in the group, after Clapton and Green - watching and hearing him with the full band after all these years is fantastic.

The SQ is less than stellar, but it's not too bad and the music is wonderful. Mayall's long-time guitarist Buddy Whittington is on it too. Whittington is horribly underappreciated - as far as I'm concerned he's the equal of any of the stars who snag the spotlight from him.

If you love the blues, this is a disc worth finding. And when you do, give it some love!!

For Firedog: WFC is great, for sure. But for me there's only one classic Feat album. I may have left hundreds of wonderful works untouched for years, but this one has been heard at least once a month in our home and cars from the day I got the vinyl (which was shortly after its release). We have every one of their albums, but this is my "stranded on a desert island with one record" winner:

Little_Feat_-_The_Last_Record_Album.jpg

Re: Mick Taylor. The Stones were at their best when he was in the band, IMO. And luckily, there's been more live material released over the years with him playing.

See:

Folder.jpg

a not well known, but fantastic live show.

For Firedog: WFC is great, for sure. But for me there's only one classic Feat album. I may have left hundreds of wonderful works untouched for years, but this one has been heard at least once a month in our home and cars from the day I got the vinyl (which was shortly after its release). We have every one of their albums, but this is my "stranded on a desert island with one record" winner:

Little_Feat_-_The_Last_Record_Album.jpg

They're all great. And I do love WFC. But for me, this is the one:

Little_Feat_-_Dixie_Chicken.jpg

"And all the boys there at the bar began to sing along...."

LITTLE FEAT LYRICS - Dixie Chicken

Re: Mick Taylor. The Stones were at their best when he was in the band, IMO. And luckily, there's been more live material released over the years with him playing.

There are (of course and always) other opinions, which in this case I happen to share. See the most prescient album review of all time, by Jon Landau (yes, *that* Jon Landau) of "Sticky Fingers," the first Stones album on which Mick was part of the lineup: Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stone

The review is just amazing to me - he completely foresees the decline and fall of the Stones as the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band in a few seconds of acoustic guitar chords.

Edit: By the way, I love Sticky Fingers. It just happened to follow the two best Stones studio albums of all time, Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, with the incomparable "Gimme Shelter."

See the most prescient album review of all time, by Jon Landau (yes, *that* Jon Landau) of "Sticky Fingers," the first Stones album on which Mick was part of the lineup: Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stone

Here's a little more history stirred by your post, Jud. Jon Landau went to Brandeis with me and was a very fine 5-string banjo player when we started college. Soon afterward, the banjo disappeared and was replaced by a Strat. Sadly, he was nowhere near as good a guitarist as he was a banjoist, and thus began another decline from player to critic :)

Unlike many failed performers who become teachers or critics, Jon was always a good guy and we got along great. He was very smart, truly in love with R&R, and an excellent judge of music and musicians. We jammed in the lounge of our dorm a few times, but he seemed to just give up at a certain point. Maybe, and I hope this is the case, he subsequently got great with the help of some of the many major players who became his friends when he outgrew me (I was largely into jazz and blues).

I was privileged to know some of our current greats early in their careers. Mark Levinson was my first college roommate, but he dropped out within about a week.........and the rest is history.