IGNORED

How much of your music do you actually listen to?

Jud

There's a lot I haven't listened to for a while ... but then I will think of something or hear something on radio which prompts me to revisit old music.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have split my music into several different iTunes libraries and some don't get visited too often; this evening I felt like a bit of "minimalism"... Currently playing Wim Mertens.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I have split my music into several different iTunes libraries and some don't get visited too often; this evening I felt like a bit of "minimalism"... Currently playing Wim Mertens.

R

I heard some of this on a radio program back in early summer. Intended to search it out later, but had forgotten until you mentioned it. If one were to get a recording or two what would you recommend? I have only heard it on the radio and a few things on youtube.

Glad you brought back to memory for me in any case.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I heard some of this on a radio program back in early summer. Intended to search it out later, but had forgotten until you mentioned it. If one were to get a recording or two what would you recommend? I have only heard it on the radio and a few things on youtube.

Glad you brought back to memory for me in any case.

You could try Jeremiades for starters :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeremiades-Wim-Mertens/dp/B0000089D1

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

There are around 2,100 albums in my western classical music collection. There are also around 20 Chinese, Japanese, and Indian classical music cds, but for this music I rely on streaming services. Roon/ Tidal have been just great for organizing, researching, supplementing. Because this collection is largely one huge genre, I have it organized into classical music periods. I listen to around 20 albums from my collection per week, sometimes more. All cds have been ripped.

A couple of years ago, I decided to listen to my collection chronologically, with breaks for fatigue and variety. The idea is also to follow along with a good music history text (Richard Taruskin). So I am now through the medieval period and well into the renaissance (my medieval and renaissance collection includes around 800 albums).

In this way, I hope to cycle through the whole collection in roughly historical order (sometimes very roughly). But this will take a number of years... and I remain open to abandoning the plan if it becomes oppressive.

So I am now through the medieval period and well into the renaissance....

Congratulations on doing in a handful of years what it took millions centuries to achieve! ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Congratulations on doing in a handful of years what it took millions centuries to achieve! ;)

Ha! I'm nowhere near a full understanding and appreciation of western medieval music, and am sorely tempted to start over again! Very humbling stuff. I'm also trying to learn how to read music because I believe it can really help deepen one's appreciation and understanding. But I'm mathematically lazy, so this is going verrrry slowly. ;)

I just moved into enforced early retirement having maxed out my carryover stay with the corporation for transitioning purposes after having my team outsourced earlier this year. My first day of retirement was Monday, so it's obviously early on. However, I have, thus far, been able to carve out two hours a day for actual, serious listening to my music.

JC

About 15 to 18 months ago during a change in external drives or some such thing I lost play counts on my library. About 6 months later I decided I would create a smart lists for all songs that had not been played. My overall library has about 24K songs. When I started about 5K showed a play count leaving me 19K to play. A year later and I'm down to 9K remaing. I play almost everyday in shuffle mode from the "unplayed" smart list. I figure in about another 10 months I will have listened to everything again. I say again because I did this 5-6 years ago also.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I just moved into enforced early retirement having maxed out my carryover stay with the corporation for transitioning purposes after having my team outsourced earlier this year. My first day of retirement was Monday, so it's obviously early on. However, I have, thus far, been able to carve out two hours a day for actual, serious listening to my music.

JC

Welcome to the world of total freedom. May take a bit to acclimate but you'll love it. Make list of things you like or want to do and start doing them.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

JC

Man, I hate the "enforced" part, but I do love the idea of retirement. It gleams in my mind as being able to take time to do a lot of things I really want to do. Karen and I were, in fact, looking at houses in St. Paul the other day on Zillow, thinking about 5 years into the future. So inexpensive! So full of interesting charm! If we could only find some of them in a small town say, 20 miles away or so... :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

So inexpensive! So full of interesting charm! :)

-Paul

So COLD! Burrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Welcome to the world of total freedom. May take a bit to acclimate but you'll love it. Make list of things you like or want to do and start doing them.

Thanks for the advice Sal. I've been working on that list. Unfortunately, I was told today, by two sources, that I had better have a discussion with a tax attorney or the, lump sum, severance pay will create a tax nightmare for me, and might even still do so if the tax attorney is working with me. Just what I needed, the expense of getting a tax attorney, AND serious potential tax issues. I didn't see that one coming :(

JC

Keeps the rif raf out

Completely agree! Not to mention, two important things:

Essentially all of the important exterior of your body is flesh, which is basically "meat". What temperatures do you keep meat at to make sure it stays fresh?

Secondly, you can always dress for cold conditions and remain comfortable, but when it gets hot, you can literally take off every article of clothing and continue to sweat! Something is simply wrong with that!

JC

Completely agree! Not to mention, two important things:

Essentially all of the important exterior of your body is flesh, which is basically "meat". What temperatures do you keep meat at to make sure it stays fresh?

Secondly, you can always dress for cold conditions and remain comfortable, but when it gets hot, you can literally take off every article of clothing and continue to sweat! Something is simply wrong with that!

JC

I'll think that over when I'm floating in the pool on Christmas Eve. ;)