IGNORED

This should be enough to hold your music library

• 3 weeks later...

Did you see the recent calculation that a kilo of DNA molecules could encode all info we have?

How DNA could store all the world’s data : Nature News & Comment

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Did you see the recent calculation that a kilo of DNA molecules could encode all info we have?

How DNA could store all the world’s data : Nature News & Comment

Yes but how would it sound storing DSD512 files?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yes but how would it sound storing DSD512 files?

Ram DNA would sound better.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It would still stutter and burp after ripping new music ... and there would be the problem of badly off key playback. If you wanted to play a certain selection, it might turn in the Xbox instead.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I think there could be an argument for using Ewe DNA instead!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 4 weeks later...
Who's gonna be the first sucker in line with $40k in hand to get X 1 :)

In my IT day job I hand out terabytes of data at a time like its PED's candy from our storage array. Yesterday's MB/GB is today's TB. It's madness I tell you, pure madness!

I used to buy/sell computer hardware and so i often would buy things when they first came out...i do remember waiting until a cd recorder was under $2k though (blank cd's were $20 each, and you would throw away money due to buffer overruns). I still have a blank cd in a single jewel case with a $15.99 price tag on it.

The most archaic memory storage solution i ever worked on was an ECMU (extended core memory unit) and it was the size of a refrigerator and held 64K of memory.