IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

35 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I couldn't get the old Holo and new Singxer driver to co-exist. I had to uninstall one, then re-install the other to compare them. Not the best way to do a comparison, but I was curious. Don't know if the two new drivers can coexist. Sounds like they might, according to Tim.

They are signed drivers which means one device per driver...

my setup is HoloAudio drivers via usb on spring Dac 

and singxer drivers via usb on su1

coexist? Sure I guess. But you can swap the driver for each device. However I doubt you can compare each driver as having any difference in sound quality whatsoever. However they are slightly improved from previous version

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

20 minutes ago, elan120 said:

This sounds like the case here...on the other hand, the hew Holo driver playing upsampled DSD512 seem to be quite good.  I will need to take some more time to see whether it is same or better than the Singxer driver.

Same :) 

comparison wont be worth the effort to be honest. I believe the version on our site has a Kitsunetuned logo on the systray icon. I might update the singxer driver to have a different systray icon than a generic window. Personally I think it’s hard to see or distinguish the program with that icon being so generic

My of has over 20 items in the systray. I like having the kitsune logo as it’s easy to spot in midst of many programs in the systray 

Tim Connor

On 12/13/2017 at 2:23 PM, Boleary3 said:

I have an opportunity to hear this DAC, Kitsune edition,  in my room but have a few questions. I currently have an Yaggdrasil and I don't use a pre-amp. Volume is controlled digitally via XXHighEnd playback software. Can the HOLO DAC be run without a pre-amp? Anyone tried it? Thanks in advance for replies.

Depends on your gear. One of my setups I have a KTE spring and elac element amp to power elac uf5 slim towers. Another setup I use a iFi pro ican which actually can be used as a killer preamp :) 

we recommend you strongly consider XLR balanced with your amp to pre amp. Sound quality will be optimal and much better common mode noise rejection. But it’s not the end of the world if you have to use rca SE. however if you are in the market to buy new gear than choose balanced!  And I don’t want to start any argument with anyone about balance vs single ended.: spare me, spare us all.  My recommendations stand for xlr/balanced.

Tim Connor

• 10 months later...

Please contact me again about that fuse. Depending on when you bought it and what model, that may of been a possibility. But reach out to me again with our contact form. It seems if you sent a message it may of been stopped with captcha or wasn’t completed. I’m happy to help with that.

for the record, the dac has a massive O type transformer. Only the Kitsunehifi models have dual switching trafo. 110/220.

and yes. 2A SB 5x20mm is for 220v and it will actually run with this fuse. But barely, and only with stable power. But it will blow eventually with the right conditions. But with average power usually will blow fairly soon. 

For 110v the correct fuse is indeed 4A SB 5x20mm

this is with worst case scenario a fuse that will also blow and protect the dac but under very unlikely conditions a fuse ever will blow unless it’s either incorrect value or serious power issues :)

but that is what fuses are for. 

Hopefully will hear from you soon,  tubedriver. I don’t know your name so can’t look up your order. Otherwise I would of contacted you directly.  I want to be sure you are taken care of. 

Tim Connor

• 1 month later...

Please note. This is a new product and we had report yesterday of some bug/glitch related to volume control within the operating system. One user had reported this glitch where volume has remained at 100% within the operating system control. We were able to recreate the issue and addressed this immediately. We are testing and finalizing a new firmware for the usb module to address this issue. Should be available on our website today or tomorrow. Some users may want to load this firmware whom already taken delivery of their spring2. Instructions will be avail on our website on how to do this.

best

-Tim

Tim Connor

• 6 months later...

Please be sure you are loading the firmware to the correct usb module. Instructions are included. This firmware update applies to models that have the Xu208 xmos module. Not the earlier xmos U8 module found in early Spring v1 dacs. 

Tim Connor

You must have windows pc to update firmware. Which all firmware for all Xu208 modules are included in this driver pack in a different folder with instructions.

only windows allows update of firmware. 

Those with Linux will need to figure on borrowing a windows laptop or something.

Tim Connor

Basically to find out if your module is xmos U8 or XU208 you will need to find out its firmware. It can be found in windows7/8/8.1/10 etc. the systray is where our drivers have the Asio control panel. A small icon to open up the program and find its firmware version.

any firmware that is 20.00 or newer is xu208. If the firmware is less than this than it is u8. Example : 16.95 is U8 xmos. 

Common firmwares for Xu208 May be 20.16-21.16 etc. and each is specific for the model. Like cyan dsd or pcm, Spring1 or spring2. 

Tim Connor

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, TubeDriver said:

I'll answer my own question.  I updated my Holo Spring 1 with UX208 board to the 21.16 firmware.  Works fine and the sound is much more focused and holographic now.  Surprisingly different, you need to hear this to believe it.  I had upgraded the USB board a while back (U8 to UX208) and never updated the firmware until now.

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier. But yes. This is for all Xu208 modules in our products. This firmware is a nice improvement as many have commented so far. It’s highly optimized compared to standard xmos firmware that is used in many other products on the market. 

Tim Connor

12 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I tried to make a warranty claim a while back for my Cyan DSD (left channel noise) but Holo never responded to me. Are they still in business?

Yes, Holoaudio is doing well.

did you purchase at KitsuneHiFi? Or where from? Let me know and I’ll get things rolling for you if need be. Forward me any emails if you tried contacting us, and I’ll help you out.

best

-Tim

KitsuneHiFi and HoloAudioUSA

Tim Connor

Looks like you contacted us on Jan16th 2019. We replied jan 18th 2019 and again jan 22nd 2019 confirming a warranty claim and was preparing a replacement unit. We had never recirved any follow up emails from you so we figured maybe you the issue resolved itself as being something  else or if it persisted than you would have directly contacted us some time from Jan 2018 til now. Good thing I check these forums often. Our email response likely ended up in your junk folder or was overlooked?. However you could have tried to contact us again. 

If for any reason anyone contacts us and we don’t get back to you within a couple business days, just shoot us another email. We usually reply to 99.9% or all emails right away. In this case we still did, but must assume your junk mail folder caught this email. 

Your dac is still under 3 year warranty and you purchased it dec2017.  No worries. It’s a quick and painless process to get a replacement. It’s a very uncommon thing for this to happen. You actually were the 5th customer to purchase a cyan? And only a very small percentage of the first batch had a known issue that was quickly remedied and all other dacs are rock solid reliable. We replaced all dacs that had any issues. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best

-Tim

Tim Connor

• 4 months later...

The May dac is complete or finalized for L1 and L2 models but we are working on the KTE still. As some parts for this model are in production and hope to be ready at end of this month to early Jan. Will be accepting preorders soon however. The May dac you may have seen at audio science review was loaned from Jeff for that particular situation. It’s NOT a production color chassis and a special edition for demo use. Basically a way to mark them for demo/not for resale. They are bronze and red. These will not be sold. The final version is black chassis and copper sides/buttons as all have grown to love. Our company colors essentially. 
but I have a demo model May as well, and will be arranging/scheduling demos to reviewers who are interested. The Demo Model I have is also L2 model. 

and yes, it’s epic. I’m quite thrilled with this dac and cannot wait to hear from everyone on their thoughts too! If you had read the review already you may know it’s likely the best measured r2r dac, and measures better than many OS dacs as well. Truly an engineering achievement.

1003CC24-36CE-43E1-A3D3-C5359B645C85.jpeg

D9E94727-A5B2-4847-A152-620DFD2396AF.jpeg

B9ACF645-BAA3-47B6-9761-C6F5069223D8.jpeg

29F54CA8-DCDB-4B2C-A15E-8A1CF67C5994.jpeg

Tim Connor

11 hours ago, ted_b said:

Tim,

I'm VERY interested once the room is done, but by then others will hopefully have chimed in.  Nice work by you, Jeff (of course) and others.  What are the PCM/DSD rates available?

Really wish ASR 7 page "review" thread would have had at least some words about sq.  :(

Let’s just say it won’t dissapoint! I’m confident in saying that. I’m loving this dac and truly excited to get it to you if you would like to test it. Then you can give your feedback.

Tim Connor

On 12/10/2019 at 5:42 PM, Milt99 said:

To be accurate, the much reviled(here) Amir did not do the measurements.

It was done independently by a member in China who also measured the Spring LVL 2.

He did a few more measurements requested by forum members

I point blank asked him about the SQ, he replied that he really liked it and was seriously considering buying the demo unit.

IMO, this could be serious competition for the Terminator.

I would say that Holo Audio has come up with a winna :)

If Amir was to contact me I could arrange for him to test it too. I believe he is a local member of the audio club here. Pacific Northwest Audio Society. 

hopefully will have the KTE May early Jan.

Tim Connor

53 minutes ago, analogue said:

Haven't gone thru this thread, nor am that knowledgeable about the HOLO r2r dac.

So here are some questions:

Is the "base" dac of the HOLO sourced from an OEM? E.g., Soekris?

Is there any similarity (OEM or otherwise) to DENAFRIPS (also a discrete r2r dac, AFAIK).

We do not source our dac module from anyone. We have designed them completely from scratch. Our own design and implementing unique tech like our linear compensation. There is a specific Parallel resistor networks for pcm content with its advanced architecture as well as a dedicated resistor network for dsd content. There isn’t really anything like it. 
so I hope this answers your question. And no, not really anything similar between them other than they are discrete. 

Tim Connor

7 minutes ago, Milt99 said:

Tim, I don't know if Amir would solicit a loan from you but I'm positive if you contacted him he would be happy to measure the May.

He seems to be really into this as are the forum members & it wouldn't hurt sales ;)

Plus it would be great to see the production version of the May.

Forum members, including myself, like to see the insides of the gear as well.

I think your products have a distinct advantage over Denafrips with you being located in the US.

Best of luck with the new product, it measures superbly, looks great & exudes quality & great design, imo.

Milt, the May that was measured was a Level 2 May dac. There is no difference from the retail dac other than the chassis color. So that is what you can expect for Level 2 May dac. 
the KTE version will have a couple other changes to it. As does the L1

all the retail versions come in the classic black and copper finish. 

the demo models are that champagne and red color to distinguish them “not for resale”. Basically we were playing with colors and didn’t want the handful of chassis to go to waste so made them into demo models but they have the full on retail electronic components if you will.

Tim Connor

57 minutes ago, Milt99 said:

Thanks, Tim.

I figured as much.

Clever idea making unique demo units never seen that before.

Sorry but I likely would pass on the May in the demo finish compared to the Spring.

Yeah, I love excellent SQ but I also love understated gear design.

I'm superficial that way 😎

OTOH with a decent discount...

Yea, personally I don’t care for the champagne and red either. And will not be any option for anyone who wants one. As they simply are not available! Only black and copper!!

Tim Connor