IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

1 hour ago, Chiefbrodie said:

Hi there again so tonight I've tried all of your above suggestions and feedback but yet still nothing! This is driving me nuts... Maybe I nerd to re download all the relevant autoscript files (can't remember where I got them now) tonight set a static ip for the bluray player I inserted the usb stick with the 3 autoscript files on powered on the bluray waited until the tray opens pop in the sacd disc wait for tge front panel to read sacd then on my pc I opened a command prompt window and it read C:\users\daniel>

After this I typed S. \sacd_extract - I 192.168.0.20:2002 - P - I

Then enter and I get this message when using the command prompt way and when I try with sonore I get this 

20180807_210505.jpg

20180807_211219.jpg

What the heck is the "S.\" part at the beginning of your command?  You need to change your current directory to where sacd_extract.exe is located then type the command without the "S.\".  I also notice that you continue to mix up upper and lowercase i letters in your posts - what you show in the actual screenshot looks OK in that regard, but it's important to proofread your posts if you're going to get useful help as the difference between an uppercase I and lowercase i can make all the difference in the world for things like this; it's no different than when entering a password where "password" is considered completely different than "PaSSworD".

On 8/8/2018 at 5:42 AM, Chiefbrodie said:

I will change the directory in the command prompt window (didn't know how to do this) until a recent reply then will try again

To expand on @alandbush's post a bit, it should be noted that if you want to change to a directory that's on a different drive, you have to switch the command prompt over to that drive first and then use the CD command to switch directories - pay attention to the prompt you get as you go.

For example, if you start at C:\Users and want to get to D:\Projects to run a command, the command prompt will initially look like:

C:\Users>

The first step is to simply type "D:" and hit enter (note how the prompt changes to "D:\>" after you do this):

C:\Users>D:
D:\>

Next, change to the folder you want to get to with the CD command by typing "CD Projects" (note how the prompt now changes to "D:\Projects\>" after you do this):

D:\>CD Projects
D:\Projects\>

Once you're in the correct folder where sacd_extract is located, you should be able to run it directly.  I suspect the "S.\" part of your post that I was responding to was another typo (or possibly auto correct) and should have been "S:\" (note the colon character rather than the period) which would make a lot more sense.

If you're posting on something like an iPad or iPhone that has auto correct, pay very close attention to things like this when posting because these sorts of typos make it really hard to figure out what you're doing incorrectly.  The screen shots you included of the actual command window help a lot.

[I thought I had posted the above yesterday, but apparently forgot to click the submit button.  Given the ongoing confusion, I think this may still be useful]

From further reading, it sounds like you may have created a folder named "S" on your C drive.  If that's the case, when you initially open a command prompt you will most likely already be in a folder on the C drive (based on the pictures you posted, you're starting in "C:\Users\Daniel").  So to switch to the folder named "S" and assuming it isn't nested under another folder, simply issue the command "CD \S" at the prompt:

C:\Users\Daniel>CD \S
C:\S>

At that point, if sacd_extract is in that folder, you should be able to proceed with executing the sacd_extract command.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, meli said:

I'm pretty confident the answer to that is "no".

But it is easy do to with a BluRay drive (like the Pioneer BDR-XD05B) and two software programs; MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor.

Yeah, there's no good reason for anyone to put any effort into using these players to rip anything other than SACD's as there are already PC based solutions for the other media.  There's probably a decent chance that it would be possible, but the effort that would be required to research it just isn't worth it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Danman said:

Has anyone gotten this to work with an Oppo UDP-203? After searching this thread and others I am getting mixed information as to whether it is even possible due to a different chip set than the BDP-105. I have tried, but keep getting "Failed to connect - can't open XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:2002 for reading." 

Any advice is appreciated.

This only works on the specific players that are listed as supported, so only the Oppo BDP-10x players and the supported players from the other manufacturers (Sony, etc.).  As you say, the UDP-20x players have a different chipset.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, stof said:

JRiver : very good software, I am now able to convert my ISO having "bad" (too long or with special characters) into DSF files...to bad it's a 30 days trial version, I will have to delete it when I am finished...

Dvd audio extractor : another excellent software that I used this summer to extract all my DVD-audio (except...the one I thought it was a SACD ^^)...but my trial period is over now...😭

I know it's probably a crazy idea, but there is the option of paying one of them to reward them for the efforts in developing excellent software.  Neither option is expensive, especially when considering what most of us spend on our audio gear and how much we've spent on SACD's.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, captainbrent said:

Agreed, but we should probably remind folks that it is official stock Oppo firmwares that are known to work and that any hacked firmwares, could very well not work.

That would apply to anything though.  If you install hacked firmware on ANY device, you have to be willing to accept any consequences that come with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The Computer Audiophile changed the title to SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Timb5881 said:

Ok I have a couple of questions.  First how is the sound quality of the Sony BDP-S590 when playing SACD’s?  I understand that it can play SACD-R disc’s is this correct? And last if it can play SACD-R discs, can that dsd by passed through the digital out?

That's way off topic for this thread and best asked elsewhere.

• 3 months later...

There's pretty much zero motivation for anyone to investigate doing it given the existing ways it can be done.  SACD's were a special case in that regard where the PS3 was the only option and PS3 hardware that can do it is relatively scarce and unreliable (partly due to age and partly due to the fact that gaming consoles tend to run hot).

3 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Look into MakeMKV (dot com) - there are versions for Windows, Mac and Linux; you'll need an external Mac compatible bluray drive for the iMac.

The only issue is that it only decrypts & rips to .mkv, so you'll either need a player like vlc to watch it on the mac, or convert to another format with handbrake.

Not true, at least in the Windows version.  MakeMKV can rip Blurays to BDMV folder structures as well.

4 hours ago, SuperMani1973 said:

Thanks for all those replies.

Sorry if I caused some confusion with my question. I'm aware of various ways to rip Audio-CDs and BluRays using a PC/Mac. I just thought that the SACD-ripping tools using the Sony player connected to the Network are so comfortable, that it would have been fantastic if similar tools existed for CD/BlueRay. I understand that at least for BluRay its not that easy, because you have a lot of Audio-Streams on them and need to select them properly.

So in conclusion, CD and BuRay ripping needs to be done with a PC/Mac. So I´ll just hook up my external drive to the iMac via USB and do as usual...

I doubt the number of audio tracks available on a Bluray disc really is an issue at all.  The encryption is the main obstacle and since it was solved a long time ago, there's no incentive for someone to invest time in it to come up with alternative methods.  Once the encryption is handled, it's pretty much a simple matter of copying files for Blurays and DVDs as the file system used on the discs is well understood by Windows and MacOS.

• 9 months later...
54 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

Au Contraire mon ami, this was about @Sidemounter's goal to convert SACD to flac "I need to end up with FLAC" If you don't know whether there is a path and if that path is possible for you to accomplish, you may be setting off on a journey that you can't complete.

Are you just here to argue with people?  This thread is about getting the content off the physical disc.  There are LOTS of other threads that discuss how to convert between file formats.  So split your goals into sub-tasks:

1) Can I get the content off the SACD?  That's what this thread is for.  We already know the answer is yes.  Discussing how to accomplish this is what this thread is for.

2) Can I convert DSD to Flac?  That's a topic for another thread.  We actually already know the answer is yes to that question too.  How to do it is best discussed in another thread.

One may certainly want to research both tasks before purchasing a compatible player, but it doesn't mean both topics must be discussed in 1 place.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

I don't think so.  I have a Netgear Orbi that's pretty fast.  File copy between my two computers is about 13MB/s.  

Edit - Right now my Oppo is about 2 feet from an Orbi satellite.  But if I wanted to connect by ethernet, I could.  In that instance what do I enter in lieu of an IP address?

If you can connect via a cable, it's almost always preferable to do so.  Even though it's much faster than 0.20MB/sec, 13MB/sec is still pretty slow.  You will still need an IP address, it will just be different.  You'll need to go into the Oppo's network settings to find the one the wired connection is using.

• 3 months later...

@thriftyaudiophile this really isn't the thread to diagnose Oppo playback issues, but make sure your HDMI audio output is set to bitstream mode in the Oppo settings.  I highly doubt that the firmware version being used is the problem, but as others have said you can update to the latest firmware and still rip SACDs.  There are threads for general support of the various Oppo players over on AVS Forum where the issue can be handled; several of the Oppo beta test team still participate.  Not sure if there are appropriate sub-forums or threads to get help on that issue here on Audiophile Style.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I completely agree.  The only issue for interest might be if you are able to get a download directly from the label/manufacturer.

Yeah, but even then you would still have no idea what the history is behind the file.  Just because the bits are different from the rip from the physical SACD, it doesn't mean the rip is bad.

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Sure but why is it relevant?

There's no point in wasting the potentially limited life of a PS3, Oppo, or other supported device in doing something that can easily be accomplished on pretty much any computer.  The ripping process that makes use of a PS3, Oppo, etc. was only intended to deal with the use case that couldn't be accomplished with a PC.