IGNORED

Router Recommendations

I'm setting up a whole new house network. I've been using my Time Capsule as the router. But I'm going to move that to an upstairs bedroom. Going to use this switch - Thanks to Jabbr - Cisco 8-Port L3 Managed Switch (SF302-08PP-K9-NA)

Anyway, I need a new router for the downstairs/main living area. Any recommendations as I know little about routers?

Thanks

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I'll have a router to the switch with optical run to audio, and copper runs to Time Capsule, Synology NAS (which I use Amazon Cloud b/up), and one more copper runs to Airport Express.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

If you don't need something with a ton of features:

TP-LINK Archer C20i AC750 Wireless Dual-Band Router - Walmart.com

Thanks, but we watch a lot of Netflix so need faster router.

You do realize I based my suggestion on the information that was asked of you to provide before the recommendation was made?

Good luck.

Sorry man, didn't mean to insult you, I said at the beginning I didn't know much about routers. When I saw things I wanted to do listed in other routers, I realized I needed more. No biggie. Appreciate the help.

Master, that looks perfect! Thanks!

I can highly recommend this one for many reasons. Very powerful device that does streaming video without breaking a sweat. Bring your wallet though, it aint cheap but few things are that actually perform well

ASUS-RTN66u-tomato-router

https://www.flashrouters.com/routers/router-types/tomato/asus-rtn66u-tomato-router

Wow, never heard of flashrouters or DD-WRT. And way funny, I was considering an Asus rtn88u today as I was perusing and learning the tech.

Wow, never heard of flashrouters or DD-WRT. And way funny, I was considering an Asus rtn88u today as I was perusing and learning the tech.

Yeah that’s a great site for such things. I bought the one I use from there (the one I linked above). The Tomato OS is extremely powerful if you ever find the need to "tweak" something that is not to your liking.

I really like that it allows you to use IP Tables to do pretty much anything that comes to mind with the hardware. Best router I've ever owned by far: Thumbs Up!

Yeah that’s a great site for such things. I bought the one I use from there (the one I linked above). The Tomato OS is extremely powerful if you ever find the need to "tweak" something that is not to your liking.

I really like that it allows you to use IP Tables to do pretty much anything that comes to mind with the hardware. Best router I've ever owned by far: Thumbs Up!

My only concern is, I don't know much about all that. I just want a router to work, well. And hopefully better household coverage than the Time Capsule, though I'm skeptical given I live in an old house with plaster walls.

And Thanks for the other rec's. I'll check it out.

Using a Netgear C7000 which includes a DOCSIS3 modem so I do not have to rent one from the cable provider. I stream TIDAL no problem.

What kind of internet service do you have?

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

I can highly recommend this one for many reasons. Very powerful device that does streaming video without breaking a sweat. Bring your wallet though, it aint cheap but few things are that actually perform well

https://www.flashrouters.com/routers/router-types/tomato/asus-rtn66u-tomato-router

For that price you can pick routers with 802.11ac, and even tri-band network.

I get the emphasis on the Tomato opensource firmware, but I've been using routers for a long time and from the likes of Asus, Belkin, Netgear, TP-Link, D-Link, and never had any issues with security or serious lag.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

The N66u has been out for several years and is a good router. Flashed with third party firmware makes it even better. It is approx $100, there is no reason to pay $250. Just buy one and flash it yourself.

After a LOT of research, talking to some network engineering guru's, etc. I went with the Linksys WRT1900 ACS. If you want speed for streaming, the best possible signal strength throughout your home, and rock solid performance, I can recommend without question. It cleared up an entire series of problems I had been experiencing with technology.

JC

After a LOT of research, talking to some network engineering guru's, etc. I went with the Linksys WRT1900 ACS. If you want speed for streaming, the best possible signal strength throughout your home, and rock solid performance, I can recommend without question. It cleared up an entire series of problems I had been experiencing with technology.

JC

Cool, looks like a few good ones that will work well. Thanks everyone!

Using a Netgear C7000 which includes a DOCSIS3 modem so I do not have to rent one from the cable provider. I stream TIDAL no problem.

What kind of internet service do you have?

Comcast for now, I need to combine Directv and ATT, so soon, it'll be ATT

I decided to buy an ASUS ac88u due to the excellent 70meter range...badly needed here. Thanks all!

For systems where a switch already exists (example: Cisco SG200) is there any advantage to the ASUS ac88u or Linksys WRT1900ACS for wireless compared to the Apple Airport Extreme?

Thanks,

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

For systems where a switch already exists (example: Cisco SG200) is there any advantage to the ASUS ac88u or Linksys WRT1900ACS for wireless compared to the Apple Airport Extreme?

Thanks,

JM

Typically they all perform nearly the same. Unless you have coverage issues the Apple should be fine.

TP-Link is the budget champ. Good features, performance, at a budget.

Netgear and Asus are the best in terms of coverage and range. I've old N routers from Netgear that still cover 2000 sft with ease, something most other brands fail to do even with latest AC routers.

Linksys should also be fine. Haven't used Apple though so cannot compare in terms of range, speed, b/w, etc.

FWIW, Netgear followed by Asus is what I use and recommend.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I have the Asus RT-AC68U because it has highly rated wireless speeds.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Typically they all perform nearly the same. Unless you have coverage issues the Apple should be fine.

TP-Link is the budget champ. Good features, performance, at a budget.

Netgear and Asus are the best in terms of coverage and range. I've old N routers from Netgear that still cover 2000 sft with ease, something most other brands fail to do even with latest AC routers.

Linksys should also be fine. Haven't used Apple though so cannot compare in terms of range, speed, b/w, etc.

FWIW, Netgear followed by Asus is what I use and recommend.

IME, Both ASUS and Netgear have much more coverage than the Apple Extreme. I use the Netgear R7000 which has been much more reliable/stable than the two ASUS units I had although it seems the ASUS both had slightly more range. I think I still have the AC1900 ASUS and may hook it up and update the firmware.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

If you seriously want to have a solid reliable network stay away from off the shelf $100 crappy boxes. Especially Apple extreme!

Your network is so important why fool around?

Look at Ubiquity or Pakedge. Not a lot more money, but these are enterprise grade with easily expandable wifi waps...