IGNORED

Painting the edge of a CD green

? Still not connecting the dots (pits? bits?) between possibly causing slightly fewer sales of CD Stop Light among the few people who were aware of his talk and ...Keith Johnson profits!

Promoting the idea a useless tweak makes a difference that might be heard. Even if a negative difference, goes along with the idea his gear is superior in terms of jitter. That he can measure the impact of such things and his gear is better. All good for him without even seeming to be promoting himself. The same sort of thing he does about high end cable, and yet we see what he uses for his own recording.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Promoting the idea a useless tweak makes a difference that might be heard. Even if a negative difference, goes along with the idea his gear is superior in terms of jitter. That he can measure the impact of such things and his gear is better. All good for him without even seeming to be promoting himself. The same sort of thing he does about high end cable, and yet we see what he uses for his own recording.

And all the while building terrific amps, pre-amps, and CD players while not advertising and having an incredibly small dealer network, so we wouldn't discover his real strategy! Deucedly clever, Holmes!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

And all the while building terrific amps, pre-amps, and CD players while not advertising and having an incredibly small dealer network, so we wouldn't discover his real strategy! Deucedly clever, Holmes!

Yes having owned and otherwise had hands on several pieces of Spectral gear I can concur it is terrific gear. Top notch all the way. And yes he has a limited dealer network and doesn't advertise. He is however not alone in using such a method to maintain a certain exclusiveness to market a product. The product does have to satisfy for that to work any length of time and Spectral has done this for what 40 years now?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

And don't forget his contributions to recorded music with Reference Recordings.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

And don't forget his contributions to recorded music with Reference Recordings.

I haven't. He does it with wire he says is likely inferior to what you have at home. Hundreds of feet of it too. I find that curious in itself.

Hi,

I'm not supposed to participate to this forum anymore :)

Numerical aperture is a very important concept for the design of PUH

If you consider that CD gathers light up to 26,7°, DVD 36,9°, BR 58,2°

Knowing that n=refractive index is 1,55 for polycarbonate and the numerical aperture is NAo = no sinθo

NA= 0,45 for CD, 0,60 for DVD and 0,85 for BR.

If you understand a minimum of optics design you will find out that the green pen is just an other BS concept in the audiophile world.

Mansr, You are right even if you can use the same OEIC for CD and DVD you still need two wavelength laser diode.

George before starting arguing, I have a PHD in optoelectronic :)

How does that compare with the example I gave in my last post? You can take a blue magic marker and cover a DVD with it, and use it as a Blue Ray disk? I'm not trying to be an ass. I really don't know the answer.

How does that compare with the example I gave in my last post? You can take a blue magic marker and cover a DVD with it, and use it as a Blue Ray disk? I'm not trying to be an ass. I really don't know the answer.

Of course you can't do that.

Of course you can't do that.

But the DVDs I do that with play in my Blu-ray player!

Did I have you going, just for a second?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

But the DVDs I do that with play in my Blu-ray player![/]

Hi Jud

Perhaps you can buy bulk Blue Magic Marker ink and spray it on instead? You could then convert your whole DVD collection much quicker than painstakingly applying it with a pen, and trying to get an even coating .

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

See for yourself.

Repeat after me: Back-wards com-pat-i-bil-i-ty.

Repeat after me: Back-wards com-pat-i-bil-i-ty.

So? I know you can't use Blu Ray disks on regular DVD players, but that's always the case. Anyway, I have my answer. I found a better video where they explain why it works. Here it is for anyone that's interested.

So? I know you can't use Blu Ray disks on regular DVD players, but that's always the case. Anyway, I have my answer. I found a better video where they explain why it works. Here it is for anyone that's interested.

Nice troll. Wonder how many have actually tried it.

Comedy gold!

If you have an older decent CD player (read >$1K) CD stoplight works. With my Linn Genki it reduced fatigue factor/edginess.. it did not affect what you could hear or not hear in the music. With the newer/less expensive Oppo 103 it really didn't matter so the benefits may not be there with later generation optics/lasers.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

If you have an older decent CD player (read >$1K) CD stoplight works. With my Linn Genki it reduced fatigue factor/edginess.. it did not affect what you could hear or not hear in the music. With the newer/less expensive Oppo 103 it really didn't matter so the benefits may not be there with later generation optics/lasers.

What kind of sanely priced regular marker would, in your opinion, have an effect? The original rumour called for an Eberhard Faber Design Art Marker No. 255, but I don't think those are sold any more. Would a humble Sharpie work?

CD stoplight is closer to flat kelly green paint... not sure marker ink can provide the same benefit. Like paint, once its on and dried, it doesn't come off easily. The one I have still works several years later and after a few hundred CD's. The trick in using it is to apply the pen perpendicular to the CD edge and only rotate the CD by the center to insure that if you contaminate your fingers it doesn't get on the playable area. Takes 2 revolutions to insure no missed spots, you will need a piece of scrap cardboard to periodically pump/recharge paint by pushing on the tip. Never had a mishap applying but don't over pump the tip when charging the paint. Its not a fast solution if you want to do a bunch of CD's

You could likely duplicate it with paint and a roller bar system if you were DIY inclined to sacrifice a few test CD's in calibrating a mass production solution. Likely would need to use something like Testor model paint for the paint to be thin enough and to reliably adhere

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Pink will make the disc hotter.

CD stoplight is closer to flat kelly green paint... not sure marker ink can provide the same benefit. Like paint, once its on and dried, it doesn't come off easily. The one I have still works several years later and after a few hundred CD's. The trick in using it is to apply the pen perpendicular to the CD edge and only rotate the CD by the center to insure that if you contaminate your fingers it doesn't get on the playable area. Takes 2 revolutions to insure no missed spots, you will need a piece of scrap cardboard to periodically pump/recharge paint by pushing on the tip. Never had a mishap applying but don't over pump the tip when charging the paint. Its not a fast solution if you want to do a bunch of CD's

You could likely duplicate it with paint and a roller bar system if you were DIY inclined to sacrifice a few test CD's in calibrating a mass production solution. Likely would need to use something like Testor model paint for the paint to be thin enough and to reliably adhere

I have no intention of buying a $25 pen just for this experiment. That is why I asked if there is a generic product with similar properties. For testing purposes, would a "liquid chalk" type marker work?

I have no intention of buying a $25 pen just for this experiment. That is why I asked if there is a generic product with similar properties. For testing purposes, would a "liquid chalk" type marker work?

You could try a flat green Testor model paint, a non fuzzy Q-tip, and an A/B pair of same cd that you are familiar with/ one easily replaced if you make a painting "oops". What you use must seal/fuse to the edge to effectively reduce edge light reflection. Note that you could also achieve similar result by sanding the CD edge to make it non reflective if careful to avoid contamination/scratching of the playing surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Testors-Enamel-Plastic-Model/dp/B0035LQSVQ

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Anyone remember the devices that crimped the edge? One a friend had put vertical ridges something like the rim of a quarter. Supposedly was sized so it trapped that wavelength of infra-red light used in CD lasers.

And then there was the tweak inspired by this where green LEDs filled the area around the disc with green light to counteract stray IR laser light. Seems some companies made transports that way like maybe Krell??