IGNORED

Painting the edge of a CD green

I saw an ad today for a Samsung 4K disk player. Only US$400! And there are a whopping 300 titles of recent, junk movies to choose from at only $25 -$30. each. Of course, I've never seen 4K, but Blu-Ray looks good enough for me. For now, I'll pass

George

It would be kind of pointless unless you also have a 4K capable TV.

I have seen quite a bit of high quality 4K material that has been down sampled to 1920 x 1080 to view through my 23" PC monitor and it's 4K origins are still quite obvious. Unfortunately, as usual, just because something is in 4K doesn't mean that it takes full advantage of the format, just like with Audio.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I saw an ad today for a Samsung 4K disk player. Only US$400! And there are a whopping 300 titles of recent, junk movies to choose from at only $25 -$30. each. Of course, I've never seen 4K, but Blu-Ray looks good enough for me. For now, I'll pass

1080p is more than the human eye can resolve on a typical display at a typical distance. That said, 1080p Bluray looks much better than 1080p Netflix.

You might think differently after seeing an LG OLED 4K with 4K medium!

I know exactly what you mean, and we've decided our next big upgrade will be precisely that: 4K OLED (not LED).

But just as with DSD128+, some people can't be convinced at all, everything is already perfect in their little view, including blacks which look very much like gray, 'people can't see more than 1080p', etc...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hi,

I'm not supposed to participate to this forum anymore :)

Welcome back, and don't let the trolls think they won.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

1080p is more than the human eye can resolve on a typical display at a typical distance. That said, 1080p Bluray looks much better than 1080p Netflix.

Amen. What irks me about Netflix and other streamers going to some compressed 4 k is using that extra bandwidth could very noticeably improve 1080p. And there is a far larger catalog of 1080p vs 4k.

Will 4k compressed be better than a lesser compressed 1080p? I don't know, but would like to see the comparison.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

For a group of seemingly smart guys, you folks seem to waste a lot of time chasing after some specious and irrelevant bullshit.

Let me be the first to congratulate you (other than yourselves) for your tireless efforts on behalf of the audio community.

We know who doesn't have a funny bone anymore...

No electron left behind.

You might think differently after seeing an LG OLED 4K with 4K medium!

Quite probably, and when the players drop to the same price level as regular blue ray players and when I purchase a 4K TV, I'll likely purchase one (if I'm still around).

George

Quite probably, and when the players drop to the same price level as regular blue ray players and when I purchase a 4K TV, I'll likely purchase one (if I'm still around).

Agreed, it is too pricey still. But it was the first time I saw a picture quality that bested the Kuro Pioneer plasmas. Pretty exciting.

Amen. What irks me about Netflix and other streamers going to some compressed 4 k is using that extra bandwidth could very noticeably improve 1080p. And there is a far larger catalog of 1080p vs 4k.

Will 4k compressed be better than a lesser compressed 1080p? I don't know, but would like to see the comparison.

With a given codec the quality is largely determined by the number of bits per pixel (compressed data, not colour depth) although very high resolutions can compress a bit better since there's less pixel to pixel variation.

There are also rubber rings you can put around the edges of CDs.

I also remember people coloring the edges of an Eminem CD to defeat DRM.

An hour ago I couldn't remember why a few of my CD's from the '80s were covered in green marker pen and had green rings on the top! Ah, the '80s.

Now all I need is an explanation of why I found it important to cover said CD's in cream from a pot labelled 'Peter Belt'.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

Martin Colloms, for example, and his associate Paul Crook felt that differences could be perceived when a sheet of Mr. Belt's electret foil was placed under a CD player.

Hi Alfe

I remember him from back then with his rainbow foil and other crackpot ideas.

However, I DO get improved results from CD/DVD players including my Oppo 103. with aluminium foil with an adhesive backing attached underneath the transport area. I use 3M 2552 tape from 3M Space and Aeronautical division, which is claimed tio convert vibration to heat.

I also use it on the LG GGW H20L that you designed for the same reason. YES, it does markedly reduce "hum" from this writer at higher ripping speeds..

Quite a few members of a U.K. based forum have also done this and reported worthwhile improvements.

In fact 6 members actually purchased this writer and did the same, after the first to try it confirmed my results.

In fact, it was a CSIRO scientist from Brisbane who sent me the tape to try, as he had a contact at 3M in Australia.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020