IGNORED

TEAC NT 503 or UD-503: Opinions?

It is supposed to get here Friday. It might take me awhile to get my act together.

So you won't post results of listening tests until, like, Saturday afternoon?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I haven't had a chance to mention the purchase to my wife yet...

Don't. Wait till she notices how great it sounds....:)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Don't. Wait till she notices how great it sounds....:)

Thats the advantage of Naim gear ... everything looks the same so the O.H. doesn't notice :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I bit the bullet and hopefully it should arrive in the week. So either I'm happy with it and the W4S DAC2 DSD goes recovering pretty much the cost of the TEAC or the TEAC goes on Trade me.

I'm hoping to employ the network feature but that depends on both SQ and ease of use. It may be that I can't live without Jriver and Jremote. Unfortunately HQ player won't be employed. It must be run headlessly and I'm never going to stump mup for Roon's weekly/monthly leaching.

I've never been totally happy with the W4S and preferred the Wadia121 it replaced so here's hoping.

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't had time to do much except plug it in and verify it works. It sounds fine, via the Halide Bridge connection I was using before. I haven't yet played with usb, optical, or network connections.

If you have a harmony remote, NT-503 isn't in their library, but UD-503 is, and that seems to work (at least for the functions the two share in common).

Meanwhile, here is some hype:

It is about as thrilling as my Marantz receiver. Completely utilitarian. No charm. It is quite well-made. It even has little handles on the front to facilitate repossession.

It is on the network. I downloaded the iOS app to control it, so I can turn it on and off, select input type, volume, and so forth. I would like to figure out how to control it from the OS X desktop. Anyone know how to go about discovering the commands sent from an iOS device?

It is about as thrilling as my Marantz receiver. Completely utilitarian. No charm. It is quite well-made. It even has little handles on the front to facilitate repossession.

Good to hear that TEAC was thinking of the repo man when they designed it. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

It is on the network. I downloaded the iOS app to control it, so I can turn it on and off, select input type, volume, and so forth. I would like to figure out how to control it from the OS X desktop. Anyone know how to go about discovering the commands sent from an iOS device?

So how does it sound so far?

I've only started listening to it, and with the Halide Bridge and Dirac room correction, it sounds rather similar to what I had. I haven't tested the USB connection yet, or done anything more than flip through the filters quickly (and the differences are audible, but subtle). I need to spend some quality time with it (meaning without a 12 year old in the next room having a melt-down about thermal paste) when no one else is at home.

I've only started listening to it, and with the Halide Bridge and Dirac room correction, it sounds rather similar to what I had. I haven't tested the USB connection yet, or done anything more than flip through the filters quickly (and the differences are audible, but subtle). I need to spend some quality time with it (meaning without a 12 year old in the next room having a melt-down about thermal paste) when no one else is at home.
Kids have it hard these days!
I need to spend some quality time with it (meaning without a 12 year old in the next room having a melt-down about thermal paste) when no one else is at home.

Aren't 12 year olds meant to be loosing it over the fact their parents don't understand them; or loosing it about a girl/boy. I mean ... thermal paste ... perhaps you should use some of that thermal paste to stick them to a head sink so they don't overheat so often!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Believe me, it was coming close to that.

BTW, losing has one o.

And "heat sink" is spelled with a "t" - but perhaps you thought Eloise was recommending sticking her head in the sink to cool it off? (!)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

BTW, even professionals are helpless with the little daemons. The neighbor down the street has a job teaching kids who can't stay in mainstream classes. 10-20 kids with emotional problems of varying seriousness every weekday doesn't phase him. His own kids? I had to laugh the other day when his 7th-grader (a really great kid, by the way) hollered at him, loud enough for me to hear a couple doors down while I was out playing with the dog, "Nobody likes you!" But it doesn't last.

Sorry for the OT. Will be interested to read what your impressions are of various inputs, internal and external filters, etc., when you have time to relax and listen. (Heh, whenever that is.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

BTW, even professionals are helpless with the little daemons. The neighbor down the street has a job teaching kids who can't stay in mainstream classes. 10-20 kids with emotional problems of varying seriousness every weekday doesn't phase him. His own kids? I had to laugh the other day when his 7th-grader (a really great kid, by the way) hollered at him, loud enough for me to hear a couple doors down while I was out playing with the dog, "Nobody likes you!" But it doesn't last.

Yes it can be difficult. Like when a teen breaks an appendage, (their cell phone) you would think life for them as we know it has ended!