IGNORED

TEAC NT 503 or UD-503: Opinions?

What a comedian.

Wasn't trying to be. One thing is that a million wrong suggested search terms come up with some form of "teach," but just ignore those and press the search icon with "teac" in the field.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Wasn't trying to be. One thing is that a million wrong suggested search terms come up with some form of "teach," but just ignore those and press the search icon with "teac" in the field.

I had to search using "Teac Corp" and then explicitly look for iPhone apps (since it is not officially an iPad app.)

The Android App has a different name. I tried to get it to run in an Android emulator on OS X. I failed.

It is better than it looks.

There is also a very primitive web browser interface. Unfortunately, they haven't implemented a browser-based controller (that I could find).

So far, my heaviest use for the network interface (apart from player controls) is streaming from "radio" stations. It is very easy for my British wife to get BBC from whatever local suits her, for example, and the "Favorites" thing makes for a nice easy-to-use shortcut.

I bought the NT-503 DAB with great expectations, but alas I am disappointed. I was hoping for more from the AKM 4490 and its DSD 256 capability.

I have not compared it head to head with the Mytek Brooklyn, but I am fairly confident that the Mytek is a much better sounding unit. The MB was not put to shame by the T+A DAC 8 DSD.

I am keeping the NT-503 for its DAB capability and Tune-In internet radio LoL

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I bought the NT-503 DAB with great expectations, but alas I am disappointed. I was hoping for more from the AKM 4490 and its DSD 256 capability.

I have not compared it head to head with the Mytek Brooklyn, but I am fairly confident that the Mytek is a much better sounding unit. The MB was not put to shame by the T+A DAC 8 DSD.

Assuming you're using both with HQP, what you'd hear is parts quality and perhaps analog design. At double the price, let's hope the Brooklyn would be better in these categories!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm considering getting an NT-503. I have a UD-501 and really enjoy its performance when being fed DSD by HQPlayer controlled by Roon.

Can the NT?

- be seen and used by HQPlayer as a target device on the LAN input?

- assuming the question the the above is yes, can the LAN input accept DSD256?

- assuming yes to both of the above, can HQPlayer running on OS X send DSD256 over the LAN or is it limited to Core Audio's DSD128 over DoP?

I really want a DAC that can accept DSD256 via LAN which can also have it's own filters defeated.

I got my NT-503 on Friday...

- be seen and used by HQPlayer as a target device on the LAN input?

No, it is pretty much UPnP + Spotify Connect. So far I've only tested Spotify Connect which worked fine.

- assuming the question the the above is yes, can the LAN input accept DSD256?

No, based on specs, up to DSD128.

- assuming yes to both of the above, can HQPlayer running on OS X send DSD256 over the LAN or is it limited to Core Audio's DSD128 over DoP?

I believe USB output from Mac is limited to DSD128.

I have successfully tested DSD256 using ASIO driver from HQPlayer on Windows.

I really want a DAC that can accept DSD256 via LAN which can also have it's own filters defeated.

Choices for such are so far pretty limited... :(

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I haven't checked in here for a while, but ud-503 got my attention. Was hoping to read some solid opinions on it. Instead I read 160 posts and get "meh" on the nt 503. Is that it?

I'll get back to using the search function now, if indeed the Teacs are just not that great.

I'm very pleased with the NT-503. The UD-503 is basically the same thing, with a few different input options (including analogue, instead of network). I'm just not one to go on about lifting veils and punching beyond price-point kind of stuff.

I'm very pleased with the NT-503. The UD-503 is basically the same thing, with a few different input options (including analogue, instead of network). I'm just not one to go on about lifting veils and punching beyond price-point kind of stuff.
Thanks WG, I did read your comments but you noted you had not seriously compared it to much else. But all in all sounds like you are pleased. cheers
Thanks WG, I did read your comments but you noted you had not seriously compared it to much else. But all in all sounds like you are pleased. cheers

It replaced my Nova, which I was using as a DAC and a pre, via a Halide Bridge (to avoid its limited USB). So that is all I can really compare it to.

(I since moved my Nova into my bedroom, paired it with some D5 speakers and am using optical input via an Apple TV, and that sounds outstanding, fwiw, given the limitations of the ATV input).

I was hoping for more from the AKM 4490 and its DSD 256 capability.

I'm currently feeding my Esoteric player/DAC, which shares the same 4490 chips and I guess much of the circuitry with the 503, with HQP (sadly 128 is all my current PC can manage). Sounds magnificent to me, with the Esoteric's upsampling and filter options turned off, letting HQP do the work. Am planning to try 256 once I've upgraded to an i7 and worked out how to install the linux necessities to support native DSD

Then test Manhattan&503.

Everything Audio Network: Audiophile DAC Review!TEAC UD-503 D/A Converter/Preamp“New Flagship Way Above Price Point” My initial impression is that the AKM-chip equipped TEAC’s overall sound quality is on par with the high-end ESS Sabre DACs. The ‘503 exudes a deep soundstage and upper end detail without a hint of harshness. For example, the drum cymbals on the track, “Autumn Leaves,” from the Warren Bernhardt — So Real SACD (a Tom Jung recording that I converted to 24/192), sounds about as good as I have ever heard it. Metallic without being exaggerated — with tons of air, very similar to what I hear with The Benchmark DAC2 and Mytek ESS-equipped converters.

The verdict

So there you have it: my headline is “TEAC makes a super, fully featured DAC for less than $1,000.” Using the latest AKM DAC chip, dual-mono design and with lots of connectivity, including balanced HP amp and XLR output, the UD-503 steps up the sonic performance feature set over the previous flagship: the UD-501.

And, as important, the UD-503 is as good as much pricier DACs on the market. With its vigorous space presentation and clean, easy-to-listen sonic persona, the UD-503 earns the Everything Audio Network Stellar Sound Award. Its relatively low price is just gravy.

My system: Audio computer-based Snakeoil with linear supply>PPA v2+power supply for ti4700>, IS0 REGEN+power supply for ti4700>Teac NT503>power amplifier>

The best Linux system for music!!! :xhttps://www.snakeoil-os.net/   :x

I guess it depends how you use the DAC...

To me, HEGEL HD30 is uninteresting since it is stuck to max 192/24 inputs.

Just curious as to your opinion on the ud503, i read you just bought one last friday. how does it compare in your mind to anything else you have tried for the purpose of your use using hqplayer upsampled?

Very,very good!!!Chic USB input!!!

Teac UD503

Hi-Fi News 4/2016

84 points

for COMPARISON, HEGEL hd30(4000$ ) received a little more 88 points!!!

teac ud501.jpg

HD30 got a bit more points.If you Want the sound for much less money,your choice of course Teac ud/nt503.HG30&503 use the same chip AK4490 Verita!!!:)

teac 503.jpg

teac 503=.jpg

My system: Audio computer-based Snakeoil with linear supply>PPA v2+power supply for ti4700>, IS0 REGEN+power supply for ti4700>Teac NT503>power amplifier>

Have connected the pcie usb 3.0 NEC D720201 to her Teac NT 503.The sound changed much!I really ponravilsya!Price pcie usb 3.0 only$18.The sound is more pure,elastic bass.Excellent!

cable kvm Picture - More Detailed Picture about 2 Port USB 3.0 to PCI E Express Card Adapter w-4.jpg

• 4 months later...