IGNORED

TEAC NT 503 or UD-503: Opinions?

Me, I love the smell of shuffle play in the morning.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Originally I had my eye on the UD503, but saw the NT503 was the same price, and the only sacrifices were things I won't use anyway (dual headphone port, analogue inputs). I don't really "need" the networking stuff, but if it is the same price, it might be fun to have it to give me something to experiment with.
They are both very nice units but in my opinion the NT would be a better choice. The analog inputs and the extra headphone jack would not serve any purpose for me either, and the streaming ability is definitely a plus. I don't have the Teac but I do have another DAC, an S16 with an AK DAC chip and I do not think you would be disappointed in the sound. For $1000 it is packed with a lot of features and really looks like a very nicely designed unit. Besides the online streaming, you could also stream from your NAS using MinimServer which would be cool.

NCore400 are very nice also. I actually own a pair, you would not be disappointed. The 500s are supposed to be even better. Are you planning on building them, or purchasing them already built? I apologize if my comments drove you to upgrading your system. :) Upgrading can be fun, so I hope you do enjoy it. As far as bicycles go a favorite upgrade as a kid was a clothespin and a playing card.

026071bc1b223dc2ae6724e66bbf5a89.jpg

My primary concern is neither would be a significant sonic improvement (the difference between the two sets of DIY Class D amps in particular). At least with the DAC, it would have a more up-to-date set of features, even if it didn't sound different.

My primary concern is neither would be a significant sonic improvement (the difference between the two sets of DIY Class D amps in particular). At least with the DAC, it would have a more up-to-date set of features, even if it didn't sound different.
I also have 400HG HxR and the NCores are better, significant is a tough one. Clearly better in many aspects, but I could live happily with either one. As you move up the differences do get smaller.

Anywhere you can listen to the Teacs, or buy with a satisfaction guarantee?

For the amp(s), pretty much everyone in the industry describes Bruno Putzeys as a genius, so this is the sort of thing I would be willing to take a flyer on. But you may feel differently. I don't know whether one of the custom builders or someone at DIYAudio would be able to get you in touch with someone in your area who has an nCore-based amp.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The other DAC/pre I have had my eye on for the last few years is the NAD m51. I am a little bit concerned about NAD's repair record. (I also liked the idea of their direct digital integrated amp, but in practice it didn't sound as good as what i have now, which really surprised me. I think it must be under-powered. The m51 + Ncore might be a better bet, but if the TEAC or the Cambridge audio net DAC I liked to above isn't inferior, one of them might be a better option.)

There is only one place I have found that has the TEAC NT 503 in stock. Other places say it might be available in April. I am not in a big hurry, and have plenty of other bills to pay (first of 3 kids started college).

I bought mine (UD-503) on amazon...you can always return there without an issue.....but i like mine, and not returning.

Off topic... (and no idea if Amazon in US have the same policy as in UK) but don't return things too much or Amazon will close your account and bar you from future purchases.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The other DAC/pre I have had my eye on for the last few years is the NAD m51. I am a little bit concerned about NAD's repair record.

This it quite funny, the designer of my KLEIN DAC, Clay Gieseler, is doing the repair service for NAD at the Australian Goldcoast. A handful of his Klein clients have sold their M51 after their purchase (e.g. CA member bhobba). Clay has actually finished his Klein 2 (with DSD) DAC and is working on pre-amp/DAC combo, which were once estimated @ 1500 AUD (could have changed by now).

You could follow him on stereo.au.net, where you will find lots of testimonials from happy customers, too. Another interesting review of the little boy ( I've called mine SAM :-), you may find on Audiokarma. It is just a boutique item, but a very good sounding one. I was impressed most from it's timing, clarity, depth and soundstage. Got PRAT as well ;-) Actually it was replacing just a MF V90 DAC, which IMHO was not too high to jump. Nonetheless he is very good!!

Off topic... (and no idea if Amazon in US have the same policy as in UK) but don't return things too much or Amazon will close your account and bar you from future purchases.

i really don't know about that....i have been a prime member for a few years and regular member about 2 years before that. i have returned 3 items in that 5 years and never a problem. one i returned just because i didn't need it anymore, but the other 2 had issues....all were small ticket items (less than $50)...so i really can't answer to your question...but i dont suspect you would have a problem with returns.

I have to decide whether I need this more than a backup wheel set for my bike. (This at least would be significantly cheaper).

I plan to pair mine with my existing DIY ClassDAudio amps. For $1K you can have a lot: Class D Audio Home

I may eventually upgrade to NC400 monoblocks.

Re NC400 monoblocks, I didn't know DIY with Hypex's own kit was this ridiculously easy:

Hypex's price per kit (one monoblock) is 650 euro, so about $1450 US for two kits.

Yeah, both NC400 and ClassDAudio are extremely easy, even for a DIY idiot like me.

In both cases, the one thing that bugs me is the lack of a good RC on/off switch. (Right now, I have mine plugged into one of those power strips that turns it on when it detects I have turned on the pre-amp.)

Yeah, both NC400 and ClassDAudio are extremely easy, even for a DIY idiot like me.

In both cases, the one thing that bugs me is the lack of a good RC on/off switch. (Right now, I have mine plugged into one of those power strips that turns it on when it detects I have turned on the pre-amp.)

Hypex may offer such a thing - I'll have a look at their web shop.

Something like this maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Switch%C2%81-Protector-F7C01008q/dp/B003P2UMNK

Why doesn't hypex just make them availabe prebuilt for $100 more? jmo

Likely because different requirements for CE and other compliance apply if they sold a pre-built amplifier vs. DIY / OEM modules.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I actually have two of those (and also a Wemo switch that allows IP control). I worry about the spike created by the relay. Maybe I worry about it too much.
You might be worried a bit too much, I do not think that would be a problem.

But it is not an expensive item and anything is possible. I actually have a couple also and since you mentioned this I called Belkin to ask them. The tech person thought I was speaking a foreign language, and did not really understand so she typed it out and forwarded the question to an upper-level technician. She put me on hold and came back saying that the switching function is protected for spikes and surge also. For all I know she could've put me on hold been drinking coffee, or she could have asked the question of the janitor, but I hope she didn't.

Regards

Bob

I actually have two of those (and also a Wemo switch that allows IP control). I worry about the spike created by the relay. Maybe I worry about it too much.

Maybe Hypex's soft-start module would help? https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=1474

You might be worried a bit too much, I do not think that would be a problem.

But it is not an expensive item and anything is possible. I actually have a couple also and since you mentioned this I called Belkin to ask them. The tech person thought I was speaking a foreign language, and did not really understand so she typed it out and forwarded the question to an upper-level technician. She put me on hold and came back saying that the switching function is protected for spikes and surge also. For all I know she could've put me on hold been drinking coffee, or she could have asked the question of the janitor, but I hope she didn't.

Regards

Bob

Thanks. I really appreciate your post and taking the time to ask. I have one of these hooked up to my Zeppelin in the bedroom, because I like to keep it off when not in use (meaning no standby LED shining light at 3 am). So this is good to know, and very helpful.