IGNORED

TEAC NT 503 or UD-503: Opinions?

Apologies! I sent you to the wrong place:

System for 10K that will shame $30K systems all day long! - Page 30

Also, this, before it went of the rails: TEAC NT-503: any opinions? | Audio Science Review Forum

Hi Bill,

that explains something. Let me then rephrase your paraphrasing ;-)

Question: Did I notice the two-dimensional performance of the AK4990 chip that is used in the Klein DAC?

Answer: No, not all.

The DAC offers wide sounsdtage, depth, spaciousness and a 3d-experience. I can just confirm, what most owners have sensed as well. My comparison is only towards the MF V90 DAC, others were comparing it e.g. to the NAS M51. I guess it is very much due to the DAC-Chip and its implementation.

Tom

Just to notice: I do not enjoy too much reading through the WB forums, too serious and too dominant commenting for my taste.

The other thing I am worrying about a bit is the volume control. I haven't seen any description if it is digital or analog, and if digital, how (well) it is implemented in the 503 (or for the 501 headphone volume for that matter).

Anyone know?

OK, I decided to suck it and see.

This makes for a very interesting mental picture . . .

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

One that scrupulously avoids answering my question.

The way this is written as being after the converter and amplifier section, would mean it is not digital but electronically controlled analog. If that makes sense?

As for its quality of implementation, can't be sure but I would think it's actually pretty decent. The only complaints about the 501's headphone section was maybe not enough output, this would not apply to this unit necessarily, but there were no complaints about the volume control in the reviews I have read about the older unit.

I would think the NT503 is a good bet. The price is right, the feature set is really good and Teac is a good company.

I would not worry about the one negative comment, the person who went for the X 20 in that thread felt it was better then some other really good DACs also. I really doubt that it's the Teac is two dimensional, it would have to be really poorly designed to be that bad sounding.

As far as the rest of the thread on WBF a lot of that thread was driven by an individual who was banned from there, banned from here and is pretty much FOS anyway. Most of the stuff that he touts, he has never actually ever listen to! He ran a big campaign against USB and the superiority of ESS. No mention of bad USB anymore as he is actually marketing a $7500 preamp which features USB and AK 4990 chips.

Bill, you really are an audiophile oh my God, you're making yourself crazy over what DAC to choose. You see this stuff is contagious. :)

Regards

Bob

Pre-amp Circuits Based on “TEAC-QVCS” High-precision Volume Control

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]ud-503_volume_diaphragm.jpg[/TD]

[TD]In the pre-amp section, the NT-503 employs the “TEAC-QVCS” (Quad Volume Control System), a fully-balanced circuit design from the output of the D/A Converters and Volume Amplifier section. Control signals from the volume knob precisely control four independent variable-gain amplifiers simultaneously — both positive and negative for the left and right channels. With this circuit design, audio signal paths are simplified and independant left and right channels and phase is preserved for clear sound quality with outstanding channel separation. (This does not apply to unbalanced analog input.)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This “TEAC-QVCS” also provides 256 steps or 0.5dB steps of volume control, precisely throughout the effective range from -95dB to +24dB. Both the line output and headphone volume can be controlled to the exact level you wish with a remote control, something that's difficult to achieve with a motorized volume control. This feature becomes even more useful when connecting various types of headphones with different impedances.

The way this is written as being after the converter and amplifier section, would mean it is not digital but electronically controlled analog. If that makes sense?

That's what I had guessed, but was not at all confident in my interpretation.

As for its quality of implementation, can't be sure but I would think it's actually pretty decent. The only complaints about the 501's headphone section was maybe not enough output, this would not apply to this unit necessarily, but there were no complaints about the volume control in the reviews I have read about the older unit.

I would think the NT503 is a good bet. The price is right, the feature set is really good and Teac is a good company.

At this price, I think it is worth the risk. I can always use it for something else or sell it or something if it isn't ideal. But as you point out, it should be an improvement over what I currently have, which is the main thing.

I would not worry about the one negative comment, the person who went for the X 20 in that thread felt it was better then some other really good DACs also. I really doubt that it's the Teac is two dimensional, it would have to be really poorly designed to be that bad sounding.

As far as the rest of the thread on WBF a lot of that thread was driven by an individual who was banned from there, banned from here and is pretty much FOS anyway.

I gathered as much. Also, he has something else to sell.

Most of the stuff that he touts, he has never actually ever listen to! He ran a big campaign against USB and the superiority of ESS. No mention of bad USB anymore as he is actually marketing a $7500 preamp which features USB and AK 4990 chips.

Bill, you really are an audiophile oh my God, you're making yourself crazy over what DAC to choose. You see this stuff is contagious. :)

Regards

Bob

I'm now worrying about what USB cable to buy. Anyone audition this:

81zyAMm%2B51L._SL1500_.jpg

Late to this thread but the Teac looks really interesting. If I understand it correctly I can connect directly to my NAS running Minimserver? Assuming the sound is good that configuration would allow me to get rid of 2 pcs, a usb converter, a dac, and associated cables. However, my assumption about sound being equal is a big IF. That being said, I have owned and loved my Esoteric transport and dac devices so I expect this to be at least pretty good. I may have to "suck it and see" for myself too...gulp (sorry I could not resist)

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

This makes for a very interesting mental picture . . .

I had a postdoc from New Zealand who employed this phrase.

Another of his favorites was to make a fist and put it up to his nose such that the thumb and forefinger encircled it, when asked a question he did not know the answer to. One day I asked him what that meant. "Fuck nose" was his response.

I'm now worrying about what USB cable to buy. Anyone audition this:

81zyAMm%2B51L._SL1500_.jpg

Audioquest Forest is nice and not expensive.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What I suggested is actually cheaper - 35 bucks. (Timber wolves?)

Amazon.com: AudioQuest Forest USB to Micro High Definition Digital Audio Cable - .75M: Computers & Accessories

Edit: I'm sure the Belden will do fine, or just use one you have sitting around the house.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 X $7 = $35

Timbre wolves.

i.e.,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24957[/ATTACH]

Ah. [Emily Litella]Never mind![/Emily Litella]

I haven't paid much attention to the mags or their advertising for the last decade or so (though the picture did look sufficiently familiar that I understood what you were referring to).