IGNORED

Apple Event today!

Can you point me to a non-crappy tablet?

TIA.

--David

iPad Pro is a better tablet than the Surface Pro and the Surface Pro is a much better computer than the iPad Pro.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

iPad Pro is a better tablet than the Surface Pro and the Surface Pro is a much better computer than the iPad Pro.

Not what I asked.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Thank god they did not do an "upgrade" of the OS. That would knock all the W4Sound DAC2s off the grid for months.......

No one forces you to upgrade the OS on your music server before being sure all associated software and hardware will function appropriately.

No electron left behind.

New iPad and iPhones most probably.

This said, I like what Apple did with recent iMacs and the better than 4K resolution. Very impressive.

My own iMac is showing its age (2009) and I only just got a iPhone, I think it's a v 4, and that's only because my gf upgraded hers and gave the old one to me :D

They did indeed do a great job with the recent iMac's. The screen is of incredibly high resolution and quality. I almost left the Windows world that I've been in since the beginning and came very close to buying the 27in 5K model. The only thing that stopped me was the poor choice they made in the video card. I do occasionally do a bit of gaming, and that card was not he right choice for them to make. Most especially on a computer of that price (I was looking at $3200.00) and which people keep for five years plus.

JC

To summarize the pricing for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro:

WiFi Only: 32GB — $599 | 128GB — $749 | 256GB — $899

WiFi + Cellular: 32GB — $729 | 128GB — $879 | 256GB — $1,029

--David

I just checked, and realized that the new 9.7 Pro will only be $100.00 less than the current price of the original 12.9 inch iPad Pro (128GB model vs 128GB model). And no guarantees it will have as much memory, or duplicate all of the larger Pro's other features. Plus you give up all that screen real estate. Granted, if you wanted smaller, you may not care, but the price seems a bit high, in comparison.

JC

I just checked, and realized that the new 9.7 Pro will only be $100.00 less than the current price of the original 12.9 inch iPad Pro (128GB model vs 128GB model). And no guarantees it will have as much memory, or duplicate all of the larger Pro's other features. Plus you give up all that screen real estate. Granted, if you wanted smaller, you may not care, but the price seems a bit high, in comparison.

I think it's a $200 difference ($749 vs $949).

The big Pro is heavier and has a bigger screen and longer battery life; the little Pro is lighter and has better cameras (based on specs) and better video capability. The little Pro screen might be a little better, especially where color accuracy is an issue. Other than that, the two are about the same. Apple never reveals exactly what the "RAM" situation is on iDevices, but I'd guess it's the same on both Pro's.

Assuming the Pro's continue to be popular, I'd expect that going forward, the feature sets will converge and the two models will be the same except for size, weight, and battery life (similar to what's happened with the Air's).

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

JC

Don't forget to add in the cost of a keyboard and the Apple Pencil. On the existing Pro, those are really big deals. I think they are making a new keyboard for the 9.7".

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Don't forget to add in the cost of a keyboard and the Apple Pencil. On the existing Pro, those are really big deals. I think they are making a new keyboard for the 9.7".

The Pencil is $99. The Smart Keyboard is $149 for the little Pro; $169 for the big Pro. (The keyboard prices seem high to me.)

I'm going to order a little Pro on 3/24. I schlep my Pad around with me all the time — to and from work every day, and it comes with me when I travel, so the little Pro is ideal for me.

I hope the freaking cases are ready to order on Thursday.

--David

The Pencil is $99. The Smart Keyboard is $149 for the little Pro; $169 for the big Pro. (The keyboard prices seem high to me.)

I'm going to order a little Pro on 3/24. I schlep my Pad around with me all the time — to and from work every day, and it comes with me when I travel, so the little Pro is ideal for me.

I hope the freaking cases are ready to order on Thursday.

--David

Yep, me too. I think I will just order wifi this time, as I can hotspot with my phone if necessary, and avoid the cost per month of another cellular device. Of course, that may be a descision I regret...

:)

Robert A. Heinlein

No one forces you to upgrade the OS on your music server before being sure all associated software and hardware will function appropriately.

You are correct Doc, why upgrade? No one needs the security updates, I guess that Ransomware problem with MAC OS is just BS.

All that hacker news is just, oh I don't know......rumor. That's it! .. rumor. We don't need no stinking upgrades.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

You are correct Doc, why upgrade? No one needs the security updates, I guess that Ransomware problem with MAC OS is just BS.

All that hacker news is just, oh I don't know......rumor. That's it! .. rumor. We don't need no stinking upgrades.

Well, you do *not* need to upgrade if your music server is running fine, is not available to internet, and is not used for email, browsing, and other "dangerous" activities. It is just scare tactics hokum to say otherwise.

It does need to be updated if you do any of those risky activities, but then, you should not be doing that from a Music server anyway, IMO.

What's the beef? The Ransomware issue won't hit you if you have upgraded, and it won't hit you if you have not but have your music sever is isolated. (grin)

The same is true with Windows of course, or Linux. Nothing is totally safe. I do hate we are moving into an age where the "security" software hacks are going to be trying their scare tactics to sell their software on Macs. Sadly, we might need them in the not too distant future.

But for now, Apple pretty much builds all that capability right into the OS.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, you do *not* need to upgrade if your music server is running fine, is not available to internet, and is not used for email, browsing, and other "dangerous" activities. It is just scare tactics hokum to say otherwise.

It does need to be updated if you do any of those risky activities, but then, you should not be doing that from a Music server anyway, IMO.

What's the beef? The Ransomware issue won't hit you if you have upgraded, and it won't hit you if you have not but have your music sever is isolated. (grin)

The same is true with Windows of course, or Linux. Nothing is totally safe. I do hate we are moving into an age where the "security" software hacks are going to be trying their scare tactics to sell their software on Macs. Sadly, we might need them in the not too distant future.

But for now, Apple pretty much builds all that capability right into the OS.

-Paul

I thought this was the "Computer" Audiophile site, I guess I am on the Music Server site. (Despite my recommendation to Chris that he change the name of this site to "Digital Audiophile" ! :)

Anyway, yes, I would guess that if you run a music server then, for now, you are safe, until some third world hacker infects a major music streamer or music download site with ransomware/or worse. Then you are in deep kimchee as we used to say.

And, if you are like most folks and do not have a dedicated music server you should be cautious. As for the MAC universe being so safe, well it only a matter of time before it is not.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I thought this was the "Computer" Audiophile site, I guess I am on the Music Server site. (Despite my recommendation to Chris that he change the name of this site to "Digital Audiophile" ! :)

Anyway, yes, I would guess that if you run a music server then, for now, you are safe, until some third world hacker infects a major music streamer or music download site with ransomware/or worse. Then you are in deep kimchee as we used to say.

And, if you are like most folks and do not have a dedicated music server you should be cautious. As for the MAC universe being so safe, well it only a matter of time before it is not.

How sadly true. And Unix/Linux isn't safe either. I was one of the first people to get zapped by the Morris worm and that was way the heck back in the 1980s.

I do like that Apple is pretty proactive, and so is Microsoft.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yep, me too. I think I will just order wifi this time, as I can hotspot with my phone if necessary, and avoid the cost per month of another cellular device. Of course, that may be a descision I regret...

:)

I suspect you'll be fine with it, Paul. Both my wife's iPad and my Kindle Fire HD are WiFi only, and we each have an iPhone (4S for her, original 6 for me). We've used this aggregate around the world with no regrets or problems at all - we spend the money we saved by not having more mobile accounts on more important things like food, wine and entertainment.

David

Despite my recommendation to Chris that he change the name of this site to "Digital Audiophile"

Just an FYI for anyone who may not know, that domain name is not available. It's currently owned by a reseller who wants a ridiculous price for it. You can check any of them by going to whois.net

9.7" iPad Pro processor is slightly under-clocked compared to it's big brother. It also only has 2GB of RAM where it's big brother has 4GB.

FYI

A9X in 9.7-Inch iPad Pro is Underclocked Compared to 12.9-inch iPad Pro | MacRumors Forums

9.7-inch iPad Pro and iPhone SE Both Have 2GB RAM | MacRumors Forums

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

9.7" iPad Pro processor is slightly under-clocked compared to it's big brother. It also only has 2GB of RAM where it's big brother has 4GB.

FYI

A9X in 9.7-Inch iPad Pro is Underclocked Compared to 12.9-inch iPad Pro | MacRumors Forums

Thanks for the link. I think I'll be able to live with the reduced performance & RAM:

Geekbench benchmark testing conducted by TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino suggests the A9X processor in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro runs at 2.16GHz, compared to 2.24GHz in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

[snip]

The new iPad Pro received a single-core score of 3022 and a multi-core score of 5107. In comparison, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro sees average scores of 3224 on the single-core test and 5466 on the multi-core test. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro may not be quite as powerful as the 12.9-inch model, but it did significantly outperform the iPhone 6s and the iPad Air 2 on the Geekbench test.

--David

I just don't understand why anyone using a W4S DAC would upgrade at all until they know for sure it will work given the past history. If you're going to upgrade and then complain I have no sympathy for you, nor should anyone else. It certainly isn't Apples fault either.

No electron left behind.

I think it's a $200 difference ($749 vs $949).

--David

As listed previously in this thread:

To summarize the pricing for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro:

WiFi Only: 32GB — $599 | 128GB — $749 | 256GB — $899

WiFi + Cellular: 32GB — $729 | 128GB — $879 | 256GB — $1,029

--David

From Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-128GB-Wi-Fi-Gold/dp/B0155OC26U/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458706450&sr=1-6&keywords=apple+ipad+pro

Now only an $80.00 difference! Also, as noted by Dr. Tone,about the original iPad Pro

"9.7" iPad Pro processor is slightly under-clocked compared to it's big brother. It also only has 2GB of RAM where it's big brother has 4GB.

JC