IGNORED

Apple Event today!

Separate the marketing from the real innovation. A five year old PC is pretty much plenty good enough for most people. But using an iPad as a laptop replacement is amgood move, since that is what Microsoft is trying to do withnthe surface. Bless their little hearts... :)

Microsoft's Surface runs Windows, the same Windows that a laptop or a desktop runs, so I would think that it would be easier to replace one's desktop or laptop computer with a "Surface", than to replace either a Windows or a Mac laptop or desktop with an iPad. A Surface will run the same apps as one's current Windows computer (AFAIK), but an iPad does not. An iPad is NOT a PC, and while it does many things that a PC can do, it does them so differently (IMHO), that two aren't really comparable. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad, and I dislike Windows intently, but I can't help but notice that in making their Surface tablets and their PC software work with each other, that from a productivity standpoint, they've made the better choice.

George

Microsoft's Surface runs Windows, the same Windows that a laptop or a desktop runs, so I would think that it would be easier to replace one's desktop or laptop computer with a "Surface", than to replace either a Windows or a Mac laptop or desktop with an iPad. A Surface will run the same apps as one's current Windows computer (AFAIK), but an iPad does not. An iPad is NOT a PC, and while it does many things that a PC can do, it does them so differently (IMHO), that two aren't really comparable. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad, and I dislike Windows intently, but I can't help but notice that in making their Surface tablets and their PC software work with each other, that from a productivity standpoint, they've made the better choice.

Let's see, the vast majority of people use their computers for:

e-mail - check. iPads do that very well, either to private email or corporate servers, including those requiring a VPN to access them.

Microsoft Office - check. All MS Office apps run just fine on an iPad

Browsing the internet - check.

That covers the vast number of things people use laptops for. And of course, running clients to access music servers.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Let's see, the vast majority of people use their computers for…

I think it's a "different strokes" situation. For all the things you mention, with the exception of Office, I'm fine doing them on the iPad. (In fact, the only Office component I use regularly is Excel, and I basically only use that at my office, where my trusty Mac Pro is available.)

Some of this revolves around the question, "How much do you hate laptops?" I always have, and alongside my purchase of the smaller iPad Pro, I'll be ditching my antique MacBook Pro and replacing it with a pretty nice iMac. My MBP hasn't moved from its spot on my desk at home in several years now, so I don't think the transition will be too difficult.

Now if you love your laptop and take it with you wherever you go, well, that's a whole 'nother situation.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Some of this revolves around the question, "How much do you hate laptops?" I always have, and alongside my purchase of the smaller iPad Pro, I'll be ditching my antique MacBook Pro and replacing it with a pretty nice iMac. My MBP hasn't moved from its spot on my desk at home in several years now, so I don't think the transition will be too difficult.

--David

That's the combo I want too! iPad pro (9.7" one) and a new iMac. Perfect combo!

PS. Still need a cheap Windows laptop for programming Lutron, keypads, wireless networks, etc also, which I already have and probably will until the companies I deal with switch to Mac.

David

Let's see, the vast majority of people use their computers for:

e-mail - check. iPads do that very well, either to private email or corporate servers, including those requiring a VPN to access them.

Microsoft Office - check. All MS Office apps run just fine on an iPad

Browsing the internet - check.

That covers the vast number of things people use laptops for. And of course, running clients to access music servers.

-Paul

That's not really the point. Ever try editing text on an iPad? I don't know about your finger, but my finger is not as facile for that chore as is a mouse. Selecting text, moving text, copying and pasting text, all of these are more awkward on an iPad than they are on a regular computer with a mouse (you can use a mouse on a Surface). Also, other things that are easily done on a computer are more difficult or more awkward on an iPad. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad. For what I bought it for it's the greatest thing in the world (electronic book reader). I just find it's modus operandi to be less useful than it should be. To be honest with you, I wish it ran OS X!

George

That's not really the point. Ever try editing text on an iPad? I don't know about your finger, but my finger is not as facile for that chore as is a mouse. Selecting text, moving text, copying and pasting text, all of these are more awkward on an iPad than they are on a regular computer with a mouse (you can use a mouse on a Surface). Also, other things that are easily done on a computer are more difficult or more awkward on an iPad. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad. For what I bought it for it's the greatest thing in the world (electronic book reader). I just find it's modus operandi to be less useful than it should be. To be honest with you, I wish it ran OS X!

So to use an iPad as a laptop replacement, use a keyboard and the Apple Pencil. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

So to use an iPad as a laptop replacement, use a keyboard and the Apple Pencil. :)

That would be worst than the finger. A whole another step of picking the pencil up and moving it to the screen.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

That would be worst than the finger. A whole another step of picking the pencil up and moving it to the screen.

(grin) Okay, I was being a bit facetious, but actually, there are keyboard shortcuts for almost every common action. And using a finger for the other tasks is amazingly natural.

So much so I sometimes find myself swiping the screen on my MBP and being puzzled for a second or so why it didn't do anything...

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein