IGNORED

Apple Event today!

Ha, my late nights listening to music makes me the FIRST to post this according to my quick perusal of the forums!

I am not expecting much, a new iPhone available this fall, some small upgrades to the iMac perhaps, a lot of talk about new security features in iOS. Any other predictions?

No electron left behind.

Air 3!!! If we're putting in requests.... :-)

+1 on a new iPad. I hoping for an Air-sized unit, but with all the features of the iPad Pro.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

New iPad and iPhones most probably.

This said, I like what Apple did with recent iMacs and the better than 4K resolution. Very impressive.

My own iMac is showing its age (2009) and I only just got a iPhone, I think it's a v 4, and that's only because my gf upgraded hers and gave the old one to me :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Ha, my late nights listening to music makes me the FIRST to post this according to my quick perusal of the forums!

I am not expecting much, a new iPhone available this fall, some small upgrades to the iMac perhaps, a lot of talk about new security features in iOS. Any other predictions?

Anything announced today will be available shortly if not immediately, not this fall. The iPhone announced today will be a smaller 5s screen size phone not the iPhone 7.

New 10" iPad with Pro features. Maybe a new iWatch.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I keep hoping for improved Apple Watch but looks like I'll still have to wait! Not sure how much longer I can wait what with clients interested in seeing geofencing work with Lutron, SimpleControl, etc. I MAY have to bite the bullet and get the first gen one to tide me over for demos.

I will definately pick up a new iPad though. The inclusion of support for the pencil is enough to tip the scales for me. The ability to use Autocad360 on site for quick sketches, markups, etc is amazing. I've tried out the Pro and it is one hell of a piece of hardware that will only keep improving with more and more apps having pencil support.

There is an employee at my local Best Buy that is also a cartoonist and watching the work he is doing on the Pro is flat out amazing! He definitely sold me on it but I just have not wanted the bulk that the Pro has.

I'll get one immediately!

David

The iPhone SE is $399- which is half the cost of the 6s. Free on a two year plan, or $17/month without a service contract. Orders available on March 24, and available on March the 31st. Not bad, and of course iOS 9.3 is now available.

iOS includes:

Night Shift, to change the colors of the display to reduce the blue light. Uses the GPS and clock to know when to do that.

Passcode/Fingerprint ID for Notes

Health app now has suggestions for apps to add into your health dashboard.

News has 50 million active users now, and the app is being enhanced with top stories, editor picks, and customized news

Carplay (audio!) now has 100 models from every major car manufact. Apple Music and Maps has been significantly enhanced.

Education use now has a whole set of new apps designed specifically for education.

Carplay is the only audio enhancement I have seen so far. I think Night Shift is going to be a big thing. :)

Next up- iPad...

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

New iPad coming our way - the iPad Pro has been a big success, especially the Apple Pencil.

Seems to be a big hit with designers. But... music?

The new iPad Pro 9.7" Retina display (same size as original iPad). Weighs less than one pound.

Targeted specifically at Windows users! Apparently, most new iPad users are coming from - Windows. Apple is positioning the new iPad Pro 9.7" as a PC replacement! (Holy Surface Killer! Or at least Apple thinks so.)

Lowest reflectivity (40% less bright that iPad 2) and brighter than iPad Air 2 (25% brighter). Also includes Night Shift.

Biggest thing is the new "True Tone Display" - measures the color temperature of ambient light, and adjusts the color tone on the iPad to match the surroundings. This is like paper, which reflects the ambient light. True Tone display is supposed to become warmer or cooler based on the ambient light, and gives true warm white display, like paper.

Pro Audio system - four speakers, and twice the volume level of the iPad Air2. No idea what else that means to audio

Very fast processor, A9X which has 12 cores of graphics power, more than an xBox 360. Also has the M9 motion co-processor, and Hey Siri.

Accessories - smart keyboard, and of course, the Apple Pencil. Lightening USB Camera Adapter, and a SD card reader.

Advanced camera, 12mp iSight, true tone flash, focus pixels, new signal processor, and it handles 4K video.

5mp Factime Video Camera, and retina flash for selfies. More.

I think it is amazing that the beastie is being targeted as a Windows PC replacement. :)

16gb $599, and a 64gb version for $799.

Oh, and a 256gb version. (I missed the price.)

Robert A. Heinlein

256GB goes for $899.

256GB is a new milestone for an iDevice, isn't it?

Now I have to decide whether to go 128GB ($749) or 256GB. Damn you, Apple!

--David

Edit: Don't think there's a 64GB.

Edt 2: I think the $599 is for 32GB.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

256GB goes for $899.

256GB is a new milestone for an iDevice, isn't it?

Now I have to decide whether to go 128GB ($749) or 256GB. Damn you, Apple!

--David

Thanks for catching the price. :)

Yeah, 256gb is what can make it a laptop killer or PC replacement. Most apple laptops come with 256gb of flash these days, unless you upgrade them.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm confused...

Apple wants you to replace your 5 year old Windows computer with an iPad Pro, because having a 5 year old computer is sad. I thought they said the reason to get a Mac was they last forever unlike windows computers that only last 2-3 years.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

To summarize the pricing for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro:

WiFi Only: 32GB — $599 | 128GB — $749 | 256GB — $899

WiFi + Cellular: 32GB — $729 | 128GB — $879 | 256GB — $1,029

--David

Apple wants you to replace your 5 year old Windows computer with an iPad Pro, because having a 5 year old computer is sad.

I'm just getting one to replace my Gen3 iPad. (Among other things, I'll finally be able to run the Roon iOS app.)

--David

I'm confused...

Apple wants you to replace your 5 year old Windows computer with an iPad Pro, because having a 5 year old computer is sad. I thought they said the reason to get a Mac was they last forever unlike windows computers that only last 2-3 years.

Separate the marketing from the real innovation. A five year old PC is pretty much plenty good enough for most people. But using an iPad as a laptop replacement is amgood move, since that is what Microsoft is trying to do withnthe surface. Bless their little hearts... :)

Robert A. Heinlein

Separate the marketing from the real innovation. A five year old PC is pretty much plenty good enough for most people. But using an iPad as a laptop replacement is amgood move, since that is what Microsoft is trying to do withnthe surface. Bless their little hearts... :)

But one is a crappy computer and the other is a crappy tablet.

Separate the marketing from the real innovation.

I think it's probably okay to ignore the marketing hype. :)

Meanwhile, I think Apple will sell a lot of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro's. (I can personally guarantee one sale.) It's been a long time since the Air 2 debuted, and the iPad Pro has some very nice features: Performance of the A9x processor is comparable to a lot of laptop processors on many metrics, and the pencil is a huge hit with graphic-arts types (which includes me — bye-bye, Wacom). I don't care so much about the Smart Keyboard, but people seem to like the one for the 12.9-inch Pro.

I don't really care whether it does or not, but it seems plausible that the 9.7-inch Pro could cut into some Surface sales. (Note that nobody has to buy one.)

--David

But one is a crappy computer and the other is a crappy tablet.

So then all tablets are crappy?

--David

It's not big but they did announce a lightning-USB camera adapter for the iPad Pro. I wonder if hi res music can be output with that.

It can with the older one(s).

--David

Not what I said.

Can you point me to a non-crappy tablet?

TIA.

--David

Well, I certainly disagree. Buy YMMV. Do you by any chance, own a Surface? They come darn close to being a laptop replacement.

I think an iPad Pro with a keyboard and pencil would be a pretty sweet laptop replacement myself, but I do occasionally need Windows, so it is not in the cards for me. My Macbook Pro still has a lot of life in it. And a Windows partition. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

It's not big but they did announce a lightning-USB camera adapter for the iPad Pro. I wonder if hi res music can be output with that.

It certainly can with the existing ones, so I would be surprised to no end if it cannot wth this one. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein