IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

On 4/29/2017 at 10:42 PM, volpone said:

Hello @bibo01,

Any news from Amanero ? Any hope ?

Thank you ...

I have just spoken to Amanero.

Obviously, we are an inch closer than before to a firmware release :)

Jokes apart, on the oscilloscope it works, but before release he wants to be absolutely sure by capturing signal in FPGA on another card and recreate the same file. He is doing a loopback.

T+A also sent him service notes for the upgrade.

I think we are almost there (did I say this before? :D ).

Thanks for the update @bibo01. Do you think the upgrade (if it does happen) will require sending the unit in? I'm on the verge of purchasing a DAC 8 DSD, but I'd hate to have to send it back in for the update. Should I just wait?

Thanks,

Vic

I have been following this thread as well, I am working with the Audio Doctor in Jersey City,  to get one of these dacs, great store with a lot of brands of digital, and the store owner, told me that that some of these folks must be confused. 

This is what the owner, Dave said:

"A Dac works with whatever device is feeding it, it is the device that feeds the dac which must be compatible not the other way."  At their shop, they use a Windows based computer and it sounds fantastic. It is just an ordinary Sony Vaio, I asked.  

Dave told me that in this one demo room, they couldn't get DSD 512 to work as the computer was too slow, so we played at some other sampling rate. 

Heard the big T+A PDP 3000 being fed off of a Batis Reference computer, into an all T+A system into a pair of Paradigm Persona 9H WOW!  Here I did here DSD 512 and that was awesome, I don't know if it was the sampling rate or the Baetis, or the big T+A stack or the Personas, but this was an incredible sounding system. 

In terms of a micro rendu or another one of these devices it is my understanding that it is what needs to be compatible. 

9 hours ago, majordigital said:

In terms of a micro rendu or another one of these devices it is my understanding that it is what needs to be compatible.

it willbe nice for the micro rendu owners but in reality  the dac8 don't really need it to shine , i had my intona out of the system for few days and it sounds nearly as good as before ..   sometimes we are focusing too much on details :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I broke down and got a DAC 8 DSD. I received it yesterday. I'm listening now after a 24 hour break-in. Doing no upsampling and just running my microRendu as a Roon endpoint, it sounds very good. I could live with this (if I had to). I can't wait for more break-in and to put a Windows NAA in the chain.

57 minutes ago, vgrubb said:

I broke down and got a DAC 8 DSD. I received it yesterday. I'm listening now after a 24 hour break-in. Doing no upsampling and just running my microRendu as a Roon endpoint, it sounds very good. I could live with this (if I had to). I can't wait for more break-in and to put a Windows NAA in the chain.

Were you deciding between another choice?

I am going crazy trying to choose between T+A DAC8 DSD or HOLO SPRING DAC, i also have a Microrendu with a SonicTransporter i5 which i will be selling because in either choice i will need a powerful windows computer to go DSD512:

What makes me nuts is the following:

T+A DAC8 DSD: "Magical sound when upsampled to DSD512 on HQP, some say better than Chord Dave"

HOLO SPRING DAC: "When in NOS mode (both PCM & DSD), it is beautiful sounding"

I still hoping someone make a GOOD comparison with both playing face to face in NOS mode and when upsampling to DSD512, there will be my final choice

Anyone? :ph34r:

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

I thought about the Holo Spring but I've wanted the T+A for a while. I built a computer for DSD512 last July intending to get the T+A, but I've been holding out hoping the Linux issues were resolved. I just couldn't wait any more. I hate to take the microRendu out of my system, but I guess I will.

58 minutes ago, vgrubb said:

I thought about the Holo Spring but I've wanted the T+A for a while. I built a computer for DSD512 last July intending to get the T+A, but I've been holding out hoping the Linux issues were resolved. I just couldn't wait any more. I hate to take the microRendu out of my system, but I guess I will.

So how is your Built PC, i just got a little bit of idea about building it 

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

after listening to PCM converted to DSD512 for a few months on my T+A I heard PCM over I2s through a Pink Faun NOS DAC and was surprised by the natural sound of NOS PCM.

This experience got me rethinking the whole upsampling thing and I am now back to just PCM through the T+A. I plan to get a Pink Faun NOS DAC and I2s card to compare to the Jcat Femto --> Intona -->Regen-->T+A DAC chain i've got running at home.

PCM converted to DSD512 sounds very nice if you listen to individual instruments or voices (especially bass in my system and music preference) but as a whole it loses the cohesion that is there before HQP starts working on it.  

of course this is all just my ears listening to my system...

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

On 02/05/2017 at 4:55 PM, bibo01 said:

I have just spoken to Amanero.

Obviously, we are an inch closer than before to a firmware release :)

Jokes apart, on the oscilloscope it works, but before release he wants to be absolutely sure by capturing signal in FPGA on another card and recreate the same file. He is doing a loopback.

T+A also sent him service notes for the upgrade.

I think we are almost there (did I say this before? :D ).

Still no news from Amanero @bibo01 ?

I've asked T+A directly but still no answers too ...

Disapointing ...

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

5 hours ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

This experience got me rethinking the whole upsampling thing and I am now back to just PCM through the T+A.

But that is not NOS, it is different DAC, but similar process...

Problem with RedBook and NOS DACs is that there's a high-frequency roll-off and distortion...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 5/10/2017 at 8:45 PM, mikicasellas said:

Were you deciding between another choice?

I am going crazy trying to choose between T+A DAC8 DSD or HOLO SPRING DAC, i also have a Microrendu with a SonicTransporter i5 which i will be selling because in either choice i will need a powerful windows computer to go DSD512:

What makes me nuts is the following:

T+A DAC8 DSD: "Magical sound when upsampled to DSD512 on HQP, some say better than Chord Dave"

HOLO SPRING DAC: "When in NOS mode (both PCM & DSD), it is beautiful sounding"

I still hoping someone make a GOOD comparison with both playing face to face in NOS mode and when upsampling to DSD512, there will be my final choice

Anyone? :ph34r:

I have the T&A DAC8 and have the Holo on order. I will be glad to give my opinion. 

33 minutes ago, nc42acc said:

I have the T&A DAC8 and have the Holo on order. I will be glad to give my opinion. 

Thanks so much nc42acc, i appreciate this!

I believe the kind of music that one will want to play on these devices can be a huge point of reference on the purchase choice...and sometimes i give it for granted that when someone says "this DAC is so good" and then i play some rock music thru it and i realize it is not (at least for the kind of music i listen to).

So if you have the chance to listen to both with rock music, would be awesome!

Thanks again

29 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Thanks so much nc42acc, i appreciate this!

I believe the kind of music that one will want to play on these devices can be a huge point of reference on the purchase choice...and sometimes i give it for granted that when someone says "this DAC is so good" and then i play some rock music thru it and i realize it is not (at least for the kind of music i listen to).

So if you have the chance to listen to both with rock music, would be awesome!

Thanks again

I am going to do a multi DAC comparison. I finally have a reliable server to upsample to DSD512 in HQ Player so I am anxious to hear the Holo. 

2 minutes ago, nc42acc said:

I am going to do a multi DAC comparison. I finally have a reliable server to upsample to DSD512 in HQ Player so I am anxious to hear the Holo. 

Great!!

On 17/05/2017 at 11:30 AM, bibo01 said:

Good news. The tests to get DSD512 have been fine. He now has to integrate the code with the past firmware code that was capable of DSD256.

I am also putting some pressure on him to fix a couple of Linux driver related things.

Thank you. Good news, but apart from DSD512 successful tests, do you have an idea on the work (and delay) required to integrate firmware code ?  

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details