IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Hey guys,

I find when I switch DSD tracks on T+A DAC8, there is some tiny pop/click sound between tracks. I have these click sound only with DSD files (either HQplayer's upsampling DSD or direct DSD playback)

I've also tried using ROON without connecting HQplayer, the click still exists. Gapless play is ok without any pop click, only happens when I manually switch songs.

Is it normal? Can it be fixed with HQplayer's setting or Roon's setting?

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

When adjusting the volume via the remote on the T+A DAC 8 DSD, is there any audio sound from the Dac ?

Why do I ask? I read a review of the T+A DAC 8 (not DSD version) here on CA:

Computer Audiophile - T+A Elektroakustik DAC 8 Review

In there, in the comments section, the poster "DSJ9" describes the volume being changed from the dac's front volume buttons:

"And when you actuate the button…"pip pop". Adjust the volume "pip pop pip pop", a little more adjustment "pip pop pip pop pip pop pip pop"

Have any T+A DAC 8 DSD owners noticed this behaviour?

I get the impression the T+A DAC 8 DSD is essentially the same as the T+A DAC 8 from a few years ago but with added DSD functionality, so if that's correct then I'd imagine the volume flaws with volume adjustment the user "DSJ9" describes would still be present in the current T+A DAC 8 DSD.

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

pip pop gate ? :)

I have no idea about this. Can anybody give some more informative information ?

Thanks in advance

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

I get the impression the T+A DAC 8 DSD is essentially the same as the T+A DAC 8 from a few years ago but with added DSD functionality

I can't answer your question about the clicks, but the DSD model is actually an upgraded device in many more aspects, including the PCM DAC section and the analogue section.

Claude

I have no idea about this. Can anybody give some more informative information ?

Thanks in advance

I'm not saying this doesn't happen ever, but my DAC8 DSD doesn't do this. Volume up/down no beeps. If you have one and are getting this problem contact support, they're very helpful. If you're just checking before buying one best to get a demo, but I'd recommend the T+A versus anything I've heard.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

I'm not saying this doesn't happen ever, but my DAC8 DSD doesn't do this. Volume up/down no beeps. If you have one and are getting this problem contact support, they're very helpful. If you're just checking before buying one best to get a demo, but I'd recommend the T+A versus anything I've heard.

Thanks for the reply , it helps :-)

I can't answer your question about the clicks, but the DSD model is actually an upgraded device in many more aspects, including the PCM DAC section and the analogue section.

Oh interesting, I thought the DSD model was the (older) original Dac 8 model but with the added DSD functionality, so good to know this

When adjusting the volume via the remote on the T+A DAC 8 DSD, is there any audio sound from the Dac ?

Why do I ask? I read a review of the T+A DAC 8 (not DSD version) here on CA:

Computer Audiophile - T+A Elektroakustik DAC 8 Review

In there, in the comments section, the poster "DSJ9" describes the volume being changed from the dac's front volume buttons:

"And when you actuate the button…"pip pop". Adjust the volume "pip pop pip pop", a little more adjustment "pip pop pip pop pip pop pip pop"

Have any T+A DAC 8 DSD owners noticed this behaviour?

I get the impression the T+A DAC 8 DSD is essentially the same as the T+A DAC 8 from a few years ago but with added DSD functionality, so if that's correct then I'd imagine the volume flaws with volume adjustment the user "DSJ9" describes would still be present in the current T+A DAC 8 DSD.

The user is talking about the actual sound the buttons make when pressed. The "noise" is purely mechanical, no clicking in the signal path.

Hope that helps

+1

With the caveat that you currently can't get direct DSD512 with Linux. I hope that will be resolved in the future. It needs kernel 4.9 at least, and maybe also a firmware update.

- Richard.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

Mine also doesn't make any unusual noises. Only "click" is the ?relay when changing between PCM and DSD.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

I was playing with HQPlayer settings last night and a small change increased the sound quality quite significantly. Try the following and see if it is replicated in your system:

Uncheck "Auto rate family" and set DSD upsampling to 24.576 MHz.

Holy s**t. I've no idea why this would change anything for better. I mean using multiples of 48KHz instead of 44.1 KHz for red book music sounds wrong. But no it sounds so good. Better prat, musicality, definition, warmth, etc.

I should mention that I noticed this with my previous dac Exasound E22 Mk2 while upsampling to DSD 256. But with T+A DSD 512, the change is more significant.

Mine also doesn't make any unusual noises. Only "click" is the ?relay when changing between PCM and DSD.

Thanks to everybody who replied about any clicking issues with the T+A DAC 8 DSD especially with regards to the volume changing via the remote. Seems like a non issue :-)

I was playing with HQPlayer settings last night and a small change increased the sound quality quite significantly. Try the following and see if it is replicated in your system:

Uncheck "Auto rate family" and set DSD upsampling to 24.576 MHz.

Holy s**t. I've no idea why this would change anything for better. I mean using multiples of 48KHz instead of 44.1 KHz for red book music sounds wrong. But no it sounds so good. Better prat, musicality, definition, warmth, etc.

I should mention that I noticed this with my previous dac Exasound E22 Mk2 while upsampling to DSD 256. But with T+A DSD 512, the change is more significant.

I did the same thing. T+A'S 24M6 sounds much better than 22M6, better to use AMSDM7 512+FS, the heaviest modulator for DSD512+

I also own the exasound e12, also uncheck the auto rate family and let the dac upsample to DSD256+FS which is 12288000. It can also yield a better performance on exasound.

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

I did the same thing. T+A'S 24M6 sounds much better than 22M6, better to use AMSDM7 512+FS, the heaviest modulator for DSD512+

I also own the exasound e12, also uncheck the auto rate family and let the dac upsample to DSD256+FS which is 12288000. It can also yield a better performance on exasound.

What filter are you using? And what sort of music do you listen to?

I can't do what you suggest without changing to a lighter load filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

What filter are you using? And what sort of music do you listen to?

I can't do what you suggest without changing to a lighter load filter.

I'm listening to everything, Jazz vocal, Classical through Tidal. I'm also upsampling some DSD256 files to DSD512, they sound the best compared to PCM file to DSD512.

Try this first:

Filter: Poly-sinc-2s

Modulator: AMSDM7

Upsampling rate: 24576000

SDM pipeline: checked

Auto rate family: unchecked

CUDA offload: checked

Basically, AMSDM7 is designed for DSD512 as Miska mentioned before, but you might not like the sound as he also mentioned there is no certain modulator match for each certain filter.

However, DSD512+ (24576000) sampling rate does sound better than DSD512 (22579200) in my case. Much more air, more transparent, music is a little bit more focused.

What is your CPU or GPU? Because if they are not powerful enough like i7 7700K, it might be not going to work.

I'm going to build a PC with i7 7700k and Titan X. Gonna unleash T+A's full potential through HQplayer's heaviest settings.

I'm listening to everything, Jazz vocal, Classical through Tidal. I'm also upsampling some DSD256 files to DSD512, they sound the best compared to PCM file to DSD512.

Try this first:

Filter: Poly-sinc-2s

Modulator: AMSDM7

Upsampling rate: 24576000

SDM pipeline: checked

Auto rate family: unchecked

CUDA offload: checked

Basically, AMSDM7 is designed for DSD512 as Miska mentioned before, but you might not like the sound as he also mentioned there is no certain modulator match for each certain filter.

However, DSD512+ (24576000) sampling rate does sound better than DSD512 (22579200) in my case. Much more air, more transparent, music is a little bit more focused.

What is your CPU or GPU? Because if they are not powerful enough like i7 7700K, it might be not going to work.

I'm going to build a PC with i7 7700k and Titan X. Gonna unleash T+A's full potential through HQplayer's heaviest settings.

Thanks for that.

I'm in the same boat as Juanitox. I already use most of your settings, except that I prefer Polysinc and Auto-Rate checked rather than Polysinc-2s and upsampling 44.1-based rates to 24576000.

Having said that, I have a lot of 24/96 and quite a few 24/192 files, so they are already output at 24576000 without Auto rate checked. But my 352.8 DXD studio masters sound stunning at 24576000.

I have 6700k CPU with CUDA offload to 1080 GPU.

Thanks.

So what modulator you are using at the moment? DSD7 ? amsdm7? or amsdm7 DSD512+?

I do believe AMSDM7 DSD512+ is designed for 24576000 just like DSD7 256+fs is designed for 12288000.

Maybe you are right, only works for 24576000 only works on DSD files instead of 44.1-based PCM.