IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

On 28/07/2017 at 8:35 PM, ted_b said:

Being that dozens have waxed poetically about the T+A doing DSD512 in Windows for quite some time now, one would assume the existing T+A firmware would not be replaced by those happy Windows users if it means going back to DSD256, or at least would choose the one that continues to do 512 on Windows.  .

exactly , i had a microrendu and sold it not only because it can't make DSD512 but also because for listening a youtube concert or watching a movie you must use Shairport with these shortcomings ( sync delay and 16/44 limit)

i replace it with a simple Intona and not only it sounds as good as before but you don't have to take care of it ( except the power supply)

today there are tons of companions to use with the DSD8  , Intona , Isoregen, upcomming IFI AudioIgalvanic.  and no needs to deal with this Linux driver tragedy..

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I'm new to the T+A DAC 8 DSD family and ecstatic to be able to reach DSD256 with my present computer. I've done some reading through the forum (it's a LOT). Some say the T+A can be connected directly to a power amp.  Presently my DAC and sub (SVS PC2000) are connected to a Primare Pre32 preamp. T+A is connected by XLR and my sub is connected by Left & Right RCA to the Pre32 preout.  I'd like to connect the T&A directly to my power amp (Primare A32) by XLR. But I want to keep my subwoofer in the line up. Without a preamp how do I connect the sub? I've been told I can

1.    Use T+A's balanced output to connect to my power amp and the T+A's RCA output to connect the subwoofer

OR

2.    connect the subwoofer via the power amp speaker level outputs (is RCA to bare wire or banana plugs doable?)

But I've also read this:

"One snippet of information: Often times subwoofers will allow you to hook them up to the speaker taps of the amp and to cross-over the main speakers, restricting how much low information they get. Don’t assume this is a benefit. It may allow the mains to play louder as they are not having to move as much air, but the downside is you can lose some clarity." Upscale Audio quote.

Are these suggestions safe? If so I'll experiment to see whether or not the SQ is degraded by these types of connections.

On 27/07/2017 at 7:08 PM, bibo01 said:

and @louisxiawei

Do not give up! :D 

I spoke to Amanero today and he told me that he has received an email from T&A confirming that latest firmware is working fine with DSD512 (incidentally they also use HQPlayer :) ).
Very soon (probably a couple of days, maybe less) Amanero will release final version of firmware - 2003 - which is further optimized (he tested it last night) and it also contains code for Windows (2002 did not).

That is AWESOME news!

Do you happen to have any idea where we stand with the upgrade? Like will it be a mail in deal or does it seem possible at home?

I'm aware the standard Amanero update is done at home, but you need to open up your device and pull some jumpers, then short some things, etc.

The DAC 8 DSD doesn't use a standard, Amanero daughter board, so that path is out.

I'm alright with sending it in, I just wish I didn't have to if there's an at home option.

Any news is much appreciated. And thanks again for brightening my day with that info. 

19 hours ago, musicbuff said:

1.    Use T+A's balanced output to connect to my power amp and the T+A's RCA output to connect the subwoofer

Are these suggestions safe? If so I'll experiment to see whether or not the SQ is degraded by these types of connections.

This is the way I've done it.  I confirmed with T+A before I bought the DAC that both balanced and RCA outlets could be used simultaneously without loss of quality.  I've not done any tests, but I'm happy with the sound.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

Hi, I’m late to the party and just trying to understand how the ongoing Linux/DSD256-512 issue affects my possible choice to buy a T+A DAC8 DSD DAC ...

I don’t want a PC/server in my listening room. Currently I have a dedicated i5 Win10 laptop upstairs running Roon Core (no upsampling or conversion), library is on Synology NAS . Downstairs in hifi system I have an Aries femto (with optical isolation and using trick power supplies etc) feeding USB via Intona USB isolator to a Yulong Sabre DA-8 DAC. 16/44 PCM is sent as 16/44 PCM, DSD256 is sent as DOP to the Yulong. The Aries endpoint and Yulong DAC are both limited to DSD256.

If I replace my Yulong DAC with T+A DAC8 DSD, does the Linux/DSD256-512 issue prevent me turning off DOP in Roon Core and passing native DSD256 through the Aries (Linux based) to the T+A?

I was hoping to do this until I can gather more funds for an i7 6700K PC to send my PCM and DSD128-256 files as native DSD512 to the T+A via an UltraRendu (linux based) or similar.

Do I understand correctly that (currently) any Linux based endpoints (eg. Aries, UltraRendu etc) are limited to sending native DSD64-128 to the T+A and native DSD256-512 is not possible (only via DOP)?

Thanks for your help guys.

Nobody? :(

I've been out of this OCD hobby for some time with young kids and am now looking to upgrade my front end as I believe it to be the "weakness" in my system. I'm interested in the T+A DAC8 DSD DAC but first want to be sure it is the right path for me.

Apparently the T+A is best when fed DSD512 files natively but I don't want to put a PC in my lounge room with the system. I therefore need an ethernet device (endpoint?) in the system capable of feeding DSD512 files (converted/upsampled by PC in another room) natively to the T+A. 

However, these devices all seem to be linux based (eg. the UltraRendu) so I presume that the T+A DAC's limitation of up to DSD128 files natively from linux based devices means I can't pass DSD256/DSD512 files natively to the T+A without putting the PC in the system and directly connecting to the T+A.

In short ... do I have this right, or have I misunderstood?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys/gals.

52 minutes ago, DSK6 said:

Nobody? :(

I've been out of this OCD hobby for some time with young kids and am now looking to upgrade my front end as I believe it to be the "weakness" in my system. I'm interested in the T+A DAC8 DSD DAC but first want to be sure it is the right path for me.

Apparently the T+A is best when fed DSD512 files natively but I don't want to put a PC in my lounge room with the system. I therefore need an ethernet device (endpoint?) in the system capable of feeding DSD512 files (converted/upsampled by PC in another room) natively to the T+A. 

However, these devices all seem to be linux based (eg. the UltraRendu) so I presume that the T+A DAC's limitation of up to DSD128 files natively from linux based devices means I can't pass DSD256/DSD512 files natively to the T+A without putting the PC in the system and directly connecting to the T+A.

In short ... do I have this right, or have I misunderstood?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys/gals.

You have it right. However. Amanero has just released final firmware 2003. It means that kernel on those Linux devices has to be updated to allow for it. At the same time, T&A will have to update its firmware on the DAC. 

Perhaps you can be patient a little longer...

2 hours ago, bibo01 said:

You have it right. However. Amanero has just released final firmware 2003. It means that kernel on those Linux devices has to be updated to allow for it. At the same time, T&A will have to update its firmware on the DAC...

Many Thanks Bibo01, that sounds like a step in the right direction.

OK, so once the Amanero and T+A updates are available and installed, I wonder what the likelihood (and timeframe) will be that the likes of Auralic and Sonore etc will update their firmwares to enable their devices to send DSD256/DSD512 files natively to the T+A DAC?

Is it likely that they will care about making changes to accomodate one particular DAC?

1 minute ago, DSK6 said:

Many Thanks Bibo01, that sounds like a step in the right direction.

OK, so once the Amanero and T+A updates are available and installed, I wonder what the likelihood (and timeframe) will be that the likes of Auralic and Sonore etc will update their firmwares to enable their devices to send DSD256/DSD512 files natively to the T+A DAC?

Is it likely that they will care about making changes to accomodate one particular DAC?

They usually do. They can reach to more customers.

Just received a new Windows desktop yesterday with power to run the T+A at DSD512. Incredible! Just finished listening to Tim McGraw's cd, "Live Like You Were Dying," and heard (and felt) the emotion (serious, sad, playful) of his songs. Even had a downloaded (probably 96kbps) mp3 file of Will.I.Am's, "America's Song" and yes, it sounded crappy, but I still heard stuff that I hadn't before. I have been missing a LOT! Looking forward to rediscovering my whole music library.

@ sbenyo,

desktop specs: Dell XPS, Windows 10 Home, 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD with 2 TB HD, i7 7700K CPU @ 4.2GHz.  

HQ Player specs: SDM Pack none, Buffer time and DAC bits Default, SDM Defaults - oversampling poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s, Modulator AMSDM7 512+fs, Bit Rate 48k x 512, and I checked the Multicore DSP box (decreased harshness heard on a few CD's).  Hope that helps.

41 minutes ago, musicbuff said:

@ sbenyo,

desktop specs: Dell XPS, Windows 10 Home, 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD with 2 TB HD, i7 7700K CPU @ 4.2GHz.  

HQ Player specs: SDM Pack none, Buffer time and DAC bits Default, SDM Defaults - oversampling poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s, Modulator AMSDM7 512+fs, Bit Rate 48k x 512, and I checked the Multicore DSP box (decreased harshness heard on a few CD's).  Hope that helps.

Be sure to give poly sinc xtr 2s a try.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 8/25/2017 at 1:12 PM, sbenyo said:

A few more details that can be helpful:

1. Do you also use GPU offload?

2. Are you connecting directly or using NAA?

3. Did you ever experience any staggering with these specs?

Until you mentioned it I never heard of GPU offloading. What is it? How do you do it? What are its advantages? I'm willing to learn if it will improve things. Sorry, I don't know what NAA stands for either. My connection is computer -> WyWires Platinum USB cable -> T+A -> Violectric XLR cable -> power amp. And no, there's been no staggering with these specs.

@ Imitche, what are the plusses of poly sinc xtr 2s?

@musicbuff,

1. GPU offload is a way to get advantage of the graphics card GPU for reducing load on CPU. This option is probably called "CUDA offload" in the parameters screen. You can check. Please note it only works with Nvidia cards that have Cuda capabilities (requires compatibility of 3+). This means you should have some graphics card that supports Cuda from the past years.

2. NAA stands for Network Audio Adapter - This is a way to connect the HQP to the DAC remotely. It enables you to use a good computer for the heavy computation even if it's not close to the DAC. NAA can work over wifi. You can get the NAA software on the HQP site. The HW requirements for running NAA are far less than those for HQP DSD upsampling and you can use a small computer/device for it.
Once you have NAA running, you need to configure HQP for network (in the same place you select the driver). Unfortunately, until there is a Linux update for T+A DAC, you need to have a Windows based NAA to be able to do DSD512 as Windows is the only way for now.

23 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

Once you have NAA running, you need to configure HQP for network (in the same place you select the driver). Unfortunately, until there is a Linux update for T+A DAC, you need to have a Windows based NAA to be able to do DSD512 as Windows is the only way for now.

Nice overall summary.  I want to add that only the minimal NAA box needs to be Windows-based (to get DSD512).  The server can be any platform HQPlayer runs on.

11 hours ago, musicbuff said:

Until you mentioned it I never heard of GPU offloading. What is it? How do you do it? What are its advantages? I'm willing to learn if it will improve things. Sorry, I don't know what NAA stands for either. My connection is computer -> WyWires Platinum USB cable -> T+A -> Violectric XLR cable -> power amp. And no, there's been no staggering with these specs.

@ Imitche, what are the plusses of poly sinc xtr 2s?

Poly sinc xtr 2s sounds best here. It may there as well.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

My graphics card is NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB and from the little I've read, is CUDA capable. But it looks like you have to know how to do some programming to take advantage and that is way out of my league. If there's a simpler way to offload please let me know in the form of "GPU offloading for dummies." x-D

6 minutes ago, musicbuff said:

But it looks like you have to know how to do some programming to take advantage and that is way out of my league.

No programming required, just enable CUDA offload in HQPlayer.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

:$ I checked the CUDA box and the T+A is now able to handle more oversampling options than before. I monitored each option with "Speccy" to be sure I wasn't about to burn up my computer. Poly-sinc-hb stuttered very badly when sampling at 48k instead of 44.1k. I finally tried Poly sinc xtr 2s. It is very good. But I find I like poly-sinc-mqa-mp best. I tried them all with a song with some etching and sibilance and found the mqa-mp to do the best correction. Then I put on The Robert Shaw Chorale's "Songs of Faith and Inspiration - The Holy City" and was blown away. The soundstage was wide, layered and precise. The CPU temp went as high as 77 degrees Celsius at short bursts and as low as 55. The GPU maintained a steady 45 degrees. Sound quality superb!

• 3 weeks later...