IGNORED

Song of the Day (or welcome to the ADD Generation).....

44 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

a little backstory:

“And one day, as she was coming back from Mount Lycaeus, Pan caught sight of Syrinx. He—whose head was wreathed with sharp pine needles—said . . .” And much was left to tell: how Syrinx, scorning all his pleas, fled through the barren waste until she reached the placid, sandy stream of Ladon: here the river blocked her flight, and so she begged her sister water nymphs to change her shape. And Pan, who thought that he had caught the nymph, did not clutch her fair body but marsh reeds; and he began to sigh; and then the air, vibrating in the reeds, produced a sound most delicate, like a lament. And Pan, enchanted by the sweetness of a sound that none had ever heard before, cried out: “And this is how I shall converse with you!” He took unequal lengths of reeds, and these Pan joined with wax: this instrument still keeps the name Pan gave it then, the nymph’s name—Syrinx.”  Ovid, Metamorphoses, Bk.1

Debussy, Syrinx (for solo flute)

A fantastic piece and a fantastic visualization. I must take a closer look at Debussy some day (I'm familiar only with his most popular compositions).

Britten: 6 Metamorphoses after Ovid

Pan, "who played upon the reed pipe which was Syrinx, his beloved."

Phaeton, "who rode upon the chariot of the sun for one day and was hurled into the river Padus by a thunderbolt."

Niobe, "who, lamenting the death of her fourteen children, was turned into a mountain."

Bacchus, "at whose feasts is heard the noise of gaggling women's tattling tongues and shouting out of boys."

Narcissus, "who fell in love with his own image and became a flower."

Arethusa, "who, flying from the love of Alpheus the river god, was turned into a fountain."