IGNORED

PS Audio's DirectStream Junior

That seems rather harsh. Care to support that claim or is it just a casual impression? I'd genuinely like to know.

I was about to say....Jeez, 43 years in the biz, leading-edge designs in digital audio, power regeneration and amps, a bunch of patents...and that's your take-away?

DirectStream is the daily-use DAC for a number of recording and mastering engineers, and the reference unit for editors and reviewers worldwide. Reviewers have given DS DAC of the Year and Digital Product of the Year awards from every major mag, and it was positively reviewed right here on CA. All those folks are gullible, too?

If you've got an issue, let's hear it. Right now you come across as just another snarky guy on the net.

40-year veteran of the audio biz/Director of Marketing, PS Audio

Editor, Copper.

I was about to say....Jeez, 43 years in the biz, leading-edge designs in digital audio, power regeneration and amps, a bunch of patents...and that's your take-away?

DirectStream is the daily-use DAC for a number of recording and mastering engineers, and the reference unit for editors and reviewers worldwide. Reviewers have given DS DAC of the Year and Digital Product of the Year awards from every major mag, and it was positively reviewed right here on CA. All those folks are gullible, too?

If you've got an issue, let's hear it. Right now you come across as just another snarky guy on the net.

Bill, I am not trying to curate this thread...:-)....but you are Dir of Marketing for PS Audio right? Aren't suppliers supposed to declare themselves via their signature or something?

BTW, I think your comments on this thread are pretty right on.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

My understanding was that I had to reach a certain level of seniority or something, in order to get the sig.

I am admittedly an impatient soul, so if I bypassed something, I apologize.

No just log in and go to settings, you can write in a custom title, your occupation, web site, and can write a signature.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Anyone have a good feel for the ideal system to drive the Jr. with? I am thinking, but do not know for certain, that the best interface would be ethernet over the Bridge II. The question being, what would be the best system to drive it with, given that I want DSD and gapless playback.

Can Roon drive it? JRMC? LMS?

Like I said, I think I know the answers, but I am anything but sure of that. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Does the PSA bridge device do gapless properly yet?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Anyone have a good feel for the ideal system to drive the Jr. with? I am thinking, but do not know for certain, that the best interface would be ethernet over the Bridge II. The question being, what would be the best system to drive it with, given that I want DSD and gapless playback.

Like I said, I think I know the answers, but I am anything but sure of that. :) /QUOTE]

Minimserver and BubbleUPnPServer then Linn Kazoo or Lumin app.

Roon won't drive it (Roon won't support UPnP renderers). JRMC would. LMS you'd be running as a UPnP server.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

LMS yes, with help of Philippe's UPnP/DLNA-bridge plugin. Make sure you use the version 0.2.5.0 Announce: UPnPBridge = integrate UPnP/DLNA players with LMS (squeeze2upnp) - Page 79

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

• 1 month later...

+1

• 4 months later...

It works great too!

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

• 5 weeks later...
so sirs...I've 20tb of music...Can I manage it from remote Nas using this stremer with Roon? Do I need pc or Imac? Is it ok if only my imac is Roon equipped and on line in the same lan? Please helpè me. thanks

AFAIK, the "Network Bridge II" built into the DS Junior can function as a Roon endpoint, so you would still need to have Roon (formerly known as Roon Core) or Roon Server running on a computer of some sort (could be Windows, Linux, or macOS). Unless it's really old (say, pre-2010), your iMac should be able to run Roon. Something like this is about the minimum you can get away with for running Roon Server. Alternatively, you might be able to install Roon Server on your NAS if it's a QNAP or Synology unit. You can find detailed information about this on the Roon community site.

In addition to Roon/Roon Server, you would then need some sort of control point. If you're running Roon (as opposed to Roon Server) on a full-fledged desktop or laptop, you can control from that (pretty obviously, you need to have a display attached to the computer), so again, your iMac could likely do double-duty here. Additionally, or alternatively, you can run Roon Remote on another desktop or laptop or on an iOS or Android device that meets Roon Labs' hardware requirements (which can be found on the Roon community site). There's no problem with having multiple control points.

Once you've read up on things a little more, I think the best thing to do would be to set aside some time, download the Roon trial, and see if you can get it running satisfactorily on your existing hardware.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Do you think Roon would be friendly with 20tb storage?

My library is considerably smaller (~2.5TB), but there are quite a few folks over on the Roon forums who have very large libraries and use many different NASes, and I know that the Roon team does extensive testing with very large libraries, so it should be fine.

Pretty recently, I helped a friend set up a new Synology NAS for use with Roon — he has quite a large library but is still in the process of digitizing and getting everything organized on the NAS — and Roon (on a MacBook Pro) had no problem accessing the library. (The hardest part was getting the Synology all set up — back-up, remote access, etc. — but it was my first time doing this. Next time should be less stressful.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

But limited to DSD64.

I thought the DirectStreams (Junior and "senior") could accept up to DSD128. Am I laboring under a misconception?

--David

USB allows DSD128, the Bridge DSD64.

Seems like a weird limitation. I wonder if they'll be able to get to DSD128 with a subsequent firmware upgrade.

--David