Jump to content
AudioPhil

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Seems to be working now:

 

1. Switch to Core Mode - reboot

2. Set Roon as Shell - reboot

3. Run AO - reboot

4. Enter remote desktop. Still black screen = Roon is shell

 

In my case I have to then enter remote desktop once and Roon is working

 

Chris

Odd...also is Roon  playing mp3 files ok for you?  I switched to Server 2016 last night and I am having no issues with mp3.


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd it is. I am not playing mp3 so I do not know. But I know I have had light grey frame on the CMD box which means Core mode and Roon was playing FLAC files through Core mode. However, I found the network connection not stable, sometimes could not connect to remote desktop while playing files and so on. 

 

So I have now reverted back to minimal server mode with Roon as Shell as that runs flawless. 

 

Chris


Software > Roon Server & HQ Player on Windows 2016 Core /AO  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ MacMini MMK > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ sMS200-ultra and Netgear switch > Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria > Lyngdorf SDA-2400 > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3.3.2018 at 8:18 PM, tboooe said:

Thank you for the reply.  When I converted from minimal server mode to core mode and ran AO again, I did not see an option to install Roon support.  I am using 2.2 b6 and have the latest version of Roonserver.

 

Hello

 

Once the needed components are installed the question for RoonSupport will not apear again, this is by design of AO.

 

best,

AudioPhil


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4.3.2018 at 9:51 AM, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Will see what Phil says but I have tried and I end up with light blue frame around the DOS shell after being stuck in reboot. before I had Roon Server running as shell replacement, switched to Core mode and came back in minimal server mode with some Roon related error messages along the way i.e. "can't find this or that .dll"...

 

So I believe it is still not working in Core mode. But we will see...

 

Chris

 

RoonServer does work in core mode on 2012 R2, but ONLY with ASIO devices. Not with WASAPI or Kernel-Streaming (because Roon does not support KS and Core mode in 2012 has no WASAPI).

 

best,

AudioPhil


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Seems to be working now:

 

1. Switch to Core Mode - reboot

2. Set Roon as Shell - reboot

3. Run AO - reboot

4. Enter remote desktop. Still black screen = Roon is shell

 

In my case I have to then enter remote desktop once and Roon is working

 

Chris

 

RoonServer has no GUI so black screen is exactly how it should be.


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

 

RoonServer does work in core mode on 2012 R2, but ONLY with ASIO devices. Not with WASAPI or Kernel-Streaming (because Roon does not support KS and Core mode in 2012 has no WASAPI).

 

best,

AudioPhil

Hi Phil, thanks for clarification. I am fairly new to your level of audiophile optimized and have only last week installed Server and AO onto my MacMini, so forgive me the following questions:

 

1. Shell: Roon Server & HQP - will this also work in Core mode?

2. SOTM- sMS-200 ultra - I would have to pick HQP endpoint, correct?

3. I have had it working with only Roon Server in Core mode, but I have seen hiccups:

 

- It took a while for Roon Control to see Roon Server

- Roon control was not willing to transport audio files until I manually connected to the shared audio folder on the mac mini through Finder and managed to fire off remote desktop as well

- Remote desktop also wasn't willing to connect for some time, then I had Bootcamp error messages

- I have seen a few times that the Roon connection from Roon Control to Roon Server gets established the moment remote desktop works

 

In AO (latest beta), I had network services, Remote desktop and your other recommendations enabled but drivers and services disabled. I also have Lyngdorf ASIO drivers installed but as Lyngdorf sits behind SOTM it should not play a role that these drivers probably got disabled as well, should it?

 

Maybe you can give a few more hints as to how this must be setup correctly for Core mode.

 

Thanks

Chris

 


Software > Roon Server & HQ Player on Windows 2016 Core /AO  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ MacMini MMK > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ sMS200-ultra and Netgear switch > Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria > Lyngdorf SDA-2400 > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

 

Hello

 

Once the needed components are installed the question for RoonSupport will not apear again, this is by design of AO.

 

best,

AudioPhil

Strange then that i cannot get mp3 files to play or import into Roon server when I core mode. Switching to minimal server mode foxes this.  Any way, I have since switched to Server 2016 in core mode and everything works!


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is all up and running nicely.

 

Core Mode:

Windows 2012 R2 with Roon Server and HQ Player as shell replacement on Mac Mini 2014

 

Tick in the box.

 

Chris

 

 


Software > Roon Server & HQ Player on Windows 2016 Core /AO  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ MacMini MMK > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ sMS200-ultra and Netgear switch > Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria > Lyngdorf SDA-2400 > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed a fresh install of Win Server 2016 standard core on a second partition on my PC.  Then installed Roon Server, then AO 2.20, chose roon support and roon server as shell.  I made sure the firewall was off and that the server has a static address.  As it's a dual boot machine with Win 10 on the other partition, I have the same IP address on both.  

 

My issue is I can't connect to Roon core from my iPad.  Roon server is also installed on the Win 10 partition and works fine.  I disconnected the Roon server in Win 10 before switching over to WS 2016.  When trying to connect it says "initializing".  The roon processes are running when I look at the task manager.

 

Any ideas???

 

Colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frederick184 said:

Installed a fresh install of Win Server 2016 standard core on a second partition on my PC.  Then installed Roon Server, then AO 2.20, chose roon support and roon server as shell.  I made sure the firewall was off and that the server has a static address.  As it's a dual boot machine with Win 10 on the other partition, I have the same IP address on both.  

 

My issue is I can't connect to Roon core from my iPad.  Roon server is also installed on the Win 10 partition and works fine.  I disconnected the Roon server in Win 10 before switching over to WS 2016.  When trying to connect it says "initializing".  The roon processes are running when I look at the task manager.

 

Any ideas???

 

Colin

I had the same exact problem.  For me it was due to my fixed IP address.  Disable that and see if that helps.


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tboooe said:

I had the same exact problem.  For me it was due to my fixed IP address.  Disable that and see if that helps.

 

Do you mean your static IP address?  I originally had it set for DHCP.  When I installed WS 2016 it used the same IP address as the Win 10 on the other partition, but I guess that's OK, since they have different MAC addresses.  However, I set a static address on the Win 10 partition, then found that it wasn't copied over to the WS 2016 partition, so I had to do it manually.  Still didn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

 

Do you mean your static IP address?  I originally had it set for DHCP.  When I installed WS 2016 it used the same IP address as the Win 10 on the other partition, but I guess that's OK, since they have different MAC addresses.  However, I set a static address on the Win 10 partition, then found that it wasn't copied over to the WS 2016 partition, so I had to do it manually.  Still didn't work.

Yes I meant static ip address....So you used SCONFIG and set DHCP in network settings and it still didnt work?  Did you also resetting your router to release all the IP addresses?  


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Yes I meant static ip address....So you used SCONFIG and set DHCP in network settings and it still didnt work?  Did you also resetting your router to release all the IP addresses?  

No, it was originally DHCP and I set it to static, as I read in the AO set-up guide that a static address was required.  Yes, I released all the IP addresses as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frederick, it is different with 2016 than with 2012.

 

I wrote myself a complete installation manual if I have to do it but I don't have access right now.

 

So what you have is exactly what I had: Roon can see the core and gets stuck in "initializing".

 

You must edit the network policies in 2016, otherwise it won't work. There are several things to do in order to make 2016 see your private network as private as it is set as "public" per default. This is the key. Without this it won't work and it is not sufficient to allow for remote connection and/or toggling DHCP and fixed IP - it got to be a fixed IP anyway. 

 

With 2016 Core it is of course a bit more tricky and work to change policies (powershell), but I have also noted the required commands somewhere. It is basically all available from the internet if you know what you are looking for.

 

Chris

 

 


Software > Roon Server & HQ Player on Windows 2016 Core /AO  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ MacMini MMK > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ sMS200-ultra and Netgear switch > Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria > Lyngdorf SDA-2400 > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Frederick, it is different with 2016 than with 2012.

 

I wrote myself a complete installation manual if I have to do it but I don't have access right now.

 

So what you have is exactly what I had: Roon can see the core and gets stuck in "initializing".

 

You must edit the network policies in 2016, otherwise it won't work. There are several things to do in order to make 2016 see your private network as private as it is set as "public" per default. This is the key. Without this it won't work and it is not sufficient to allow for remote connection and/or toggling DHCP and fixed IP - it got to be a fixed IP anyway. 

 

With 2016 Core it is of course a bit more tricky and work to change policies (powershell), but I have also noted the required commands somewhere. It is basically all available from the internet if you know what you are looking for.

 

Chris

 

 

Thank you, Chris.  I will do some research online and see if I can get it to work.

 

Colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, this is driving me nuts.

 

Started over with fresh install.  No more dual boot machine.  Dedicated PC.

 

WS 2016 standard core installed, then Roon Server 1.5, then AO 2.20 in Ultimate mode, chose Roon support and Roon as shell.

 

Changed to a static IP address and changed network policy to private.  All Roon processes are up and running.

 

Tried to connect to Roon from both iPad and phone.  Still says “initializing”.

 

Colin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frederick184 said:

Ok, this is driving me nuts.

 

Started over with fresh install.  No more dual boot machine.  Dedicated PC.

 

WS 2016 standard core installed, then Roon Server 1.5, then AO 2.20 in Ultimate mode, chose Roon support and Roon as shell.

 

Changed to a static IP address and changed network policy to private.  All Roon processes are up and running.

 

Tried to connect to Roon from both iPad and phone.  Still says “initializing”.

 

Colin

 

Do you still have the issues before you run AO?

 

This could be a longshot but when I had issues with Server 2016, I did a repair on the install and it helped.  I also made sure all updates were installed.

 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/28455-audiophileoptimizer-beta-thread/?do=findComment&comment=798638

 


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frederick184 said:

Ok, this is driving me nuts.

 

Started over with fresh install.  No more dual boot machine.  Dedicated PC.

 

WS 2016 standard core installed, then Roon Server 1.5, then AO 2.20 in Ultimate mode, chose Roon support and Roon as shell.

 

Changed to a static IP address and changed network policy to private.  All Roon processes are up and running.

 

Tried to connect to Roon from both iPad and phone.  Still says “initializing”.

 

Colin

 

Ok, here are my actions that worked in this order and right after first boot of Win2016:

 

  • in tool local network policies change to "privat" AND "user can change"
  • Set fixed IP, Gateway and DNS
  • Set Computer network name
  • Reboot
  • Check if router / switch can see Windows 2016
  • Check remote access to Windows 2016 with Microsoft remote desktop from any machine
  • If you use BootCamp, do it know and install latest drivers
  • Reboot
  • Check for Windows 2016 updates and install
  • Check for unknown devices and de-activate them
  • Reboot
  • Remote management will be enabled now
  • I have then set my remote share and tested access through the network (upload/download)
  • Install RoonServer64bit
  • Check remote access to Windows 2016 again
  • Try to connect Roon Remote to Roon Server (will not work)
  • Install AO 2.2 with Roon Server support
  • Reboot
  • Licence AO 2.2 by starting ST tool
  • Disable write caching on SSD
  • Disable power saving on LAN Adapter
  • Reboot
  • Run Roon AO ultimate with safe settings
  • Test SMB connection to share again
  • Probe Roon Remote: it finds Roon Core on Server
  • Enable auto logon in AO service tool
  • Reboot
  • Roon Remote will find Roon Core on Server automatically

 

I have protocoled each and every step of also other tools (HQP, Windows Commander ...) so that  I can replicate my installation anytime and do not need 2-3 days again. Some might not be relevant and I do not care. It works. With the hassle, trust me, I feel for you! 2012 had been a walk in the park in comparison.

 

I have then started to use more aggressiv settings in AO. Connection never lost. I then tested all AO possible settings and combinations and never lost connection.

 

Just for the record, the following AO settings I have left ON:

 

  • Roon Support
  • HPET
  • WASAPI
  • USB Opt
  • Intel WMI

 

With that I have Roon remote, MS remote desktop and SMB working.

 

Chris


Software > Roon Server & HQ Player on Windows 2016 Core /AO  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ MacMini MMK > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ sMS200-ultra and Netgear switch > Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria > Lyngdorf SDA-2400 > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Colin

 

Please also run the WASAPI injector by typing "ao -WASAPI".

 

Best,
AudioPhil


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris,

 

Thanks for the very detailed reply.  I have noted all of these items for the future, but Wasapi is what fixed it for me.  Started working right away.  Thanks, Phil.  Now to go and listen ?

 

Thanks to all for your help!

Colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 10:41 PM, frederick184 said:

Chris,

 

Thanks for the very detailed reply.  I have noted all of these items for the future, but Wasapi is what fixed it for me.  Started working right away.  Thanks, Phil.  Now to go and listen ?

 

Thanks to all for your help!

Colin

 

very well then, enjoy it! :)


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello crew. I have Windows Server Standard 2016 installed with GUI. Roonserver works great, along with JRiver. AO 2.20 working fine. 

 

After saving a full image of this install (good thing!), I have been trying to install WS2016 Standard without GUI. Got the installation in. Have static IP address. Trying to get Roon up and running. On install of RoonServerInstaller64.exe, I am told that RoonServer is installed — and Task Manager shows it is there. However, when clicking finish, I get the error message:

Fatal Error

Required Audio Codecs Missing!

 

There is a link to Roon’s page linking to WS2012R2 media pack. That doesn’t work on WS2016, as I have read elsewhere. 

 

I should mention that I know I have network access, as I installed VNC Connect on the WS2016 core and I can access the server remotely with VNC. 

 

I’m at a loss on the codec issue. Any clue what I am to do? Thanks. JCR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, It is easier with GUI, isn't it? It is a very good idea to have an image but it will work all the way.

 

I found this for you:

"With AO 2.20B5 when answering YES to Roon Support the Media Support is added - no need for the media pack from MS."

 

I cannot remember this error message that you got on my machine, I only had troubles with the network setup as mentioned before. Did you also replace the shell with Roon?

 

I am 100% sure Phil will be able to help you quickly and if it takes some time for him to answer in here then send him a message through his webpage. It should be easy to solve.

 

Good luck,

 

Chris

 


Software > Roon Server & HQ Player on Windows 2016 Core /AO  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ MacMini MMK > SOtM sPS-500 pwr @ sMS200-ultra and Netgear switch > Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria > Lyngdorf SDA-2400 > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

Hello crew. I have Windows Server Standard 2016 installed with GUI. Roonserver works great, along with JRiver. AO 2.20 working fine. 

 

After saving a full image of this install (good thing!), I have been trying to install WS2016 Standard without GUI. Got the installation in. Have static IP address. Trying to get Roon up and running. On install of RoonServerInstaller64.exe, I am told that RoonServer is installed — and Task Manager shows it is there. However, when clicking finish, I get the error message:

Fatal Error

Required Audio Codecs Missing!

 

There is a link to Roon’s page linking to WS2012R2 media pack. That doesn’t work on WS2016, as I have read elsewhere. 

 

I should mention that I know I have network access, as I installed VNC Connect on the WS2016 core and I can access the server remotely with VNC. 

 

I’m at a loss on the codec issue. Any clue what I am to do? Thanks. JCR

 

Hi

 

Please install the "roon support" of AO and run the WASAPI injector (ao -wasapi), this will do the trick. Be Sure to use final release of AO 2.20 and no betas or older versions.

 

Best,

AudioPhil


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...