IGNORED

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

AudioPhil

OK... i think i have everything ready for you two to test. Please let me know your email-adress (via PM if you like) so i can send you the batch/registry files and instructions.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

The frustration came from the implicit assumption that I will be able to use RoonServer with HQP "as is" through AO 2.0. I understand now that it's a small amount of work to create custom batch to start both. Thanks for mentioning it.

Since the day Roon integrated support for HQP, I can safely assume the use case of Roon + HQP is getting increasingly common. So, I am sure that if you make something read to run, it'd be appreciated.

I can make a batch file to start both HQP and Roon. However, how do I make that batch file as shell?

The frustration came from the implicit assumption that I will be able to use RoonServer with HQP "as is" through AO 2.0.

When I was running HQP and RoonServer on same machine. Started in GUI mode and set RoonServer to run at startup (system tray ICON to set). Then had AO start HQP as the Shell.

If more programs are needed to auto-start/run then a batch file is the way to go. (I did this for the Mutec USB Control Panel).

After some exchanges earlier in this thread, I am now running Roon Core on my home file server (no audio optimizations) and my previous "audio server" connected to my DAC is now converted to really just a player, running Roon Bridge on AO 2.0 with only a command prompt (no shell).

The sound quality is better than before, having been using JRMC on the AO machine directly connected to the DAC, so I am really not complaining. However, outside of adding additional software such as process lasso or HQP, are there any optimizations that can be done on the Roon Bridge machine? For instance, is there any advantage to a shell other than the command prompt?

I finally had some time to get myself "into" Roon last night. Roon & Windows Server have somewhat worked in the past, but the overall experience to get it working was not very convenient. These steps were needed to get Roon or RoonServer working on Windows Server 2012 R2:

- Add the Windows Role "Essentials Experience" (which actually converts a standard edition into an essentials edition)

- Add the "Windows Server Essentials Media Pack"

So i used the last night to get rid of all this inconvenient steps, and yes it does even work in Minimal-Server Mode now. I focused my testings on RoonServer and these are the needed steps to get a Roon Core working on Windows Server 2012 R2 (no matter if GUI or minimal-server Mode):

- Install Windows Server 2012 R2

- Install AudiophileOptimizer 2.00

- Install your DAC Driver

- Install RoonServer

- Stay in GUI mode or switch to minimal-server mode

- Run AudiophileOptimizer in advanced or ultimate mode

- Say yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support"

- Say yes to "Add roon support"

- Say no to "disable network related services"

- Do not disable Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

Enjoy,

Phil

OPENGL WARNING: If your graphic card driver for Server 2012/2012 R2 offers no OpenGL support (and you get OpenGL Errors when you start Roon) there is nothing AO could do against it. AO cannot change or extend the functionality of a graphic card driver.

Consider using RoonServer instead of Roon or switch to Windows 10 if no OpenGL compatible graphic card driver is available for server 2012/2012 R2.

Hi. Phil

How can i check my vga card, supporting open gl or not?

My mainboard is msi h97 with vga onboard.

Does it support open gl.

Another question is..

If i change OS to wins10,how about it?

Is it sound good as 2012R2?

Ps

Because AO 2.0 can work with both of 10 and 2012. For the roon case, i think 2012 will cause me more a lot of trouble in the future because it is not friendly with some new up coming softwares at least Roon for example.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

Hi. Phil

How can i check my vga card, supporting open gl or not?

My mainboard is msi h97 with vga onboard.

Does it support open gl.

Easy - Check with the Video card or MB Vendor - there should be something on their site stating specifications. If not drop an email to their support asking.

Another question is..

If i change OS to wins10,how about it?

Is it sound good as 2012R2?

Ps

Because AO 2.0 can work with both of 10 and 2012. For the roon case, i think 2012 will cause me more a lot of trouble in the future because it is not friendly with some new up coming softwares at least Roon for example.[/Quote]

I have run Roon, RoonServer, and RoonBridge all on 2012R2. Run Roon where OpenGL support is, RoonServer for devices that do not support OpenGL, and RoonBridge for the Client/Server architecture Roon was designed for.

If 2012R2 is too difficult to use/admin etc. then run Windows 10.

Easy - Check with the Video card or MB Vendor - there should be something on their site stating specifications. If not drop an email to their support asking.

I have run Roon, RoonServer, and RoonBridge all on 2012R2. Run Roon where OpenGL support is, RoonServer for devices that do not support OpenGL, and RoonBridge for the Client/Server architecture Roon was designed for.

If 2012R2 is too difficult to use/admin etc. then run Windows 10.

Thanks dtb300

You meant that you run roon on 2012R2 with no AO2.0, is that correct?

It means that i have to install roon server and then it ready to go, isn't it?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

Nope, never said that. AO is needed for 2012R2 for player/playback support.

Ok thanks dtb300 ^^

Hi all

Sorry dtb300, you are correct about OpenGL but you are not correct about core mode, experience Role and Media Pack.

- No version of Roon will work in Core Mode (yet).

- All version of Roon will work on Server 2012 R2 in GUI & minimal server mode, with the help of AO 2.00.

- If you use AO 2.00 you don't need to install the Essentials Experience Role nor the Essentials Media Pack

- If you don't use AO 2.00 on Server 2012 R2 Roon will only work in GUI mode and not all file types (like MP3)

will work, even if Roon officially supports Server 2012 R2.

- Not AO or anything else can add missing OpenGL support to a graphic card driver. Only the vendor of the graphic card can do that.

Everything is described in Detail in Post #1 of this thread.

Background info: Technically the Essentials Role is not needed at all, but it's a prerequisite for the Essentials Media Pack. AO 2.00's Roon Support feature will install the Essentials Media Pack without the unneeded Essentials Role. Aside from that AO 2.00 will also install all other needed Windows components to make Roon work for 100%, including playback all file types like MP3 etc.

Best,

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi all

Sorry dtb300, you are correct about OpenGL but you are not correct about core mode, experience Role and Media Pack.

- No version of Roon will work in Core Mode (yet).

- All version of Roon will work on Server 2012 R2 in GUI & minimal server mode, with the help of AO 2.00.

- If you use AO 2.00 you don't need to install the Essentials Experience Role nor the Essentials Media Pack

- If you don't use AO 2.00 on Server 2012 R2 Roon will only work in GUI mode and not all file types (like MP3)

will work, even if Roon officially supports Server 2012 R2.

- Not AO or anything else can add missing OpenGL support to a graphic card driver. Only the vendor of the graphic card can do that.

Everything is described in Detail in Post #1 of this thread.

Background info: Technically the Essentials Role is not needed at all, but it's a prerequisite for the Essentials Media Pack. AO 2.00's Roon Support feature will install the Essentials Media Pack without the unneeded Essentials Role. Aside from that AO 2.00 will also install all other needed Windows components to make Roon work for 100%, including playback all file types like MP3 etc.

Best,

Phil

Thank you, Phil

It's all clear for me now. I plan to buy the 2.0 next month.

By the way... a little bit discount for old customers for upgrading to 2.0 would be very very appreciated.. ^^ lol!!!

Don't blame me. I'm just kidding. ^^

very welcome :)

baah, we had discount during the pre-order phase! ;)

thanks Phil. ^^

For instance, is there any advantage to a shell other than the command prompt?

Yes indeed. There are three in total:

- no need to manually start your media player

- if you combine it with Autologon your machine gets ready to play music by just pressing the power button

- better sound quality since much less processes are loaded (this mainly applies to GUI mode. Minimal-Server and Core are already very tight)

Best,

Phil

• 5 months later...
OK... i think i have everything ready for you two to test. Please let me know your email-adress (via PM if you like) so i can send you the batch/registry files and instructions.

Hi Phil,

I sent you a PM, but have not received any reply. Can you please also send me a copy of the relevant files?

Thanks!

- richard

• 3 weeks later...
by far indeed yes

Thank you for your response, Phil. I have been told you can now use Roon in Core mode, is that correct? That would be very good news if this is possible. Also, once AO 2.2 is released and Windows Server 2016 is fully supported in non-beta form, would it be your advice to use this instead of 2012R2? Are there advantages to using one over the other? I am just getting started and would appreciate where I should begin if best SQ with Roon (no HQP) is my goal.

Hi

Roon(Server) is not (yet) possible in Core. With Server 2012 R2 we had minimal-server mode as alternative. With Server 2016 minimal-server does not exist anymore. It's also

not yet sure of the official release of AO 2.20 will contain support for Windows Server 2016.

Best,

AudioPhil

Just my two cents...Roonserver and HQP in minimal server mode sounds very good! Thank you Phil.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments