IGNORED

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

AudioPhil

I'm running AO 1.30 on WS2012 R2 and trying to install Roon core (i.e. server and audio endpoint). I don't recall the name of the AO mode I'm using, but I have GUI starting up foobar2k as the default shell.

Since my AO is too old to use the method in post 1, I'm trying to add the essentials experience and the media pack in WS2012. (Roon itself installed fine but is complaining about missing required audio codecs.)

My current stumbling block is to install the essentials experience I need to add essential experience role via server manager. There is a red flag at start of server manager and clicking on it informs me that "Configuration refresh failed with the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or it has no enabled devices associated with it.".  Googling the error text suggested it could be solved by running "for /f %s in (‘dir /b *.mof *.mfl’) do mofcomp %s" in the AutoRecover directory, but it's empty in my computer.

I've tried turning off most optimisation in AO but it doesn't make any difference. I need some help, please.

• 6 months later...

Hello.

Need help figuring out what I'm doing wrong. I had this running until yesterday and after WS2012R2 reinstallation I'm having trouble.

System: Roon Server machine is a Win 10 PC, streaming over ethernet to the AudioPC that has WS2012R2 + Roon Bridge + AO 2.20 and connects directly to a USB DAC. I had it running with WS2012R2 in minimal server mode, but after reinstallation it's not working anymore. 

Currently: With WS2012R2 running with a GUI, Roon Server sees RoonBridge OK and plays without problem. When I turn WS to minimal server mode, Roon Server doesn't see RoonBridge anymore. The first time I ran AO today it asked if I wanted to enable Roon support (as in page 34 of manual) and I said yes, but still didn't work. I went back to GUI and Roon worked OK, then back to minimal server and ran AO again and it didn't ask if I wanted to enable Roon support. Did the cycle again and still the same situation. So right now I can play music to Roon Bridge while in GUI mode...but the sound quality is not the same.

Any pointers of what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Hey LewinskiH01

Did you run AO again and said also yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming support" after you switched into minimal-server mode? Can you play music with another player, let's say Foobar2000 or something similar which is easy to install just for a test?

Best,

AidioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

2 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

Hey LewinskiH01

Did you run AO again and said also yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming support" after you switched into minimal-server mode? Can you play music with another player, let's say Foobar2000 or something similar which is easy to install just for a test?

Best,

AidioPhil

Hello! Yes, I did run AO again and also said yes to KS after I switched into minimal server mode. The three times I tried this. I don't have another player installed in that PC. Should I install something? Or can I play sounds from an existing app?

Regards,

Horacio

Hello

One you are familiar with would be ideal. But before, please also check if the Windows Audio Service is running.

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

2 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

Hello

One you are familiar with would be ideal. But before, please also check if the Windows Audio Service is running.

Best,

AudioPhil

How do I check that? I'm assuming tI should urn into minimal server mode and check if Windows Audio Service is working, right? Because it does work while in GUI since Roon Bridge plays music.

Regards,

Horacio

Type "net start" in command prompt and press enter. When you see "WIndows Audio" and Audio EndpointBuilder" the services are running, if not then.... ;)

On 4/3/2020 at 3:03 PM, LewinskiH01 said:

Seems AudioPhil isn't available. Might someone else have thoughts on why this might not be working?

Thank you!

FWIW, I tried running AO on GUI mode and RoonBridge/Roon works perfectly. It's something to do with minimal server mode. What's most puzzling is it was working on minimal-server before I did the Windows reinstall, so there has to be something in the setup. Oh well.

Sorry for the delay! At least your screenhot looks very good!

Can you try with another player you are familiar with installing and making it work in Core mode? My impression is that Audio stack wise everything is working fine. That's why i'd like to check using another player.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, AudioPhil said:

Sorry for the delay! At least your screenhot looks very good!

Can you try with another player you are familiar with installing and making it work in Core mode? My impression is that Audio stack wise everything is working fine. That's why i'd like to check using another player.

Thanks for the follow up. I went on to explore the update log for AO 3.00 and realized WS2012R2 was rather outdated, and went ahead and installed WS2019. So won't be solving for the above anymore. I am likely to show up in another thread asking for other help, though ☺️

Hope you are safe and doing well.

17 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for the follow up. I went on to explore the update log for AO 3.00 and realized WS2012R2 was rather outdated, and went ahead and installed WS2019. So won't be solving for the above anymore. I am likely to show up in another thread asking for other help, though ☺️

Hope you are safe and doing well.

2012 is "outdated", 2012 R2 is still good to go with AO 3.00! :)

• 4 weeks later...