IGNORED

[HOW-TO] Roon and RoonServer on Windows Server 2012 R2

AudioPhil

Hi Phil

I'm trying to setup Roon and HQP as the shell in winserver 2012 R2 minimal mode

I am using AO 2.2 b4, but it says one of those two isn't in the standard location

HQP is in c:\program files\Signalyst which is probably OK

Roon is in an odd looking spot - C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe

Is Roon the issue? As an aside, it would be handy if the AO "Can't do it message" said where it was expecting to get them from

Looking forward to b5

Thanks

Kaka

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

Hello Kaka

Bith Roon(Server) and HQP must be installed in their default location, then wit will work as expected.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Exactly - but I didn't know what their default locations are

I've found your script and my HQP location is not what you are expecting:

You have start /HIGH "HQPlayer" "%Systemdrive%\Program Files (x86)\Signalyst\HQPlayer Desktop 3\HQPlayer-desktop.exe"

I've reinstalled, and the shell is in place

Great!

Thanks

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

Hello Kaka

you do not need to know, both installers will automatically install the software there as long as you don't set a custom install directory.

There is an x86 and an x64 version of HQP, the shell replacement feature will automatically select the right one.

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 1 month later...
On 14.2.2017 at 7:36 AM, AudioPhil said:

Hello JCR

please read the first post of this thread in detail. You don't need the essentials role and you don't need the mediapack either. All you need is AO and the first post of this thread.

Best,

AudioPhil

Hello,

I dont understand this, I am trying to install roon on my new install of 2012 R2 server. But when trying to start roon i am getting message that I am missing codec, and I am guided to a media pack install...

I see you write here that we dont need that install. But, then again it is described to have everything installed and working before installing the optimizer software... Should i install and setup the optimizer with a broken install of roon? or install the media pack first to have a working copy?

What Im I missing here?

Hi

i don't understand this as well. Everything needed to get this working is described in post #1 of this thread? 

You need AO first to get Roon fully working without Essentials Role and MedianPack. 

the "rule of thumb" AO last, does not apply to this special case because you need to get rid of the roon dependencies.

Best,

AudioPhil

8 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

Hi

i don't understand this as well. Everything needed to get this working is described in post #1 of this thread? 

You need AO first to get Roon fully working without Essentials Role and MedianPack. 

the "rule of thumb" AO last, does not apply to this special case because you need to get rid of the roon dependencies.

Best,

AudioPhil

ok. that answer my question. I install (or at least starts) roon after installed AO, right?

jens

In the AO usermanual it say "NFO: Every server OS has all windows audio services disabled by default. If you need WASAPI, or your driver is related to WASAPI architecture in any way, you need to set the windows audio services to automatic start"

i am usiing the JCAT femto USB card on my server but i have no idea if my DAC¨s driver is supporting WASAPI arcitecture and I was not able to get this information from them either. How do I decide on how to procide here? If I dont know, do I set the audio service to autmaticly start?

• 3 months later...

For installation - the order does not matter, but if you run AO without RoonServer installed then.... :)  So make sure to install RoonServer and AO, then run AO last - as Phil stated.  

RoonServer can be run at start up by right-clicking on ICON in system tray and selecting.   Once RoonServer is running, you can then run AO and install the Roon Support Feature (Y).

You driver can be either WASAPI or ASIO in GUI mode.  Roon will detect which one is available or both in your audio setup section of Roon Remote.   When AO asks for WASAPI/MMCSS ??? support you should agree.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Running Windows 2012 R2 Core + Professor Lasso Server (licensed) + Roon Server under AO 2.20 (B6) without any errors. All otimizations included remove remote connections and drivers for mytek. 

Works fine in read the administrative shares (e.g. c$, d%, ...) so insert music is a easly task.

Question: Can I add in the future HQ Player in this installation? For me HQP is too complex to understand.. i just install the HQP and put as output of roon?  why there is some linux solutions to perform the NAA? all the processing can stay in this Roon Server?

Warm Regards,

Issac Ohasi

Fear build walls! Roger Waters

10 minutes ago, issac said:

Running Windows 2012 R2 Core + Professor Lasso Server (licensed) + Roon Server under AO 2.20 (B6) without any errors. All otimizations included remove remote connections and drivers for mytek. 

Works fine in read the administrative shares (e.g. c$, d%, ...) so insert music is a easly task.

Question: Can I add in the future HQ Player in this installation? For me HQP is too complex to understand.. i just install the HQP and put as output of roon?  why there is some linux solutions to perform the NAA? all the processing can stay in this Roon Server?

I run HQP and Roonserver with Server 2012 R2 Essentials without any problems.  In Roon settings, you enable HQP and output to it.  Simple.

The NAA is an application that runs on a separate device like a Raspberry Pi or Windows PC.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 minute ago, tboooe said:

I run HQP and Roonserver with Server 2012 R2 Essentials without any problems.  In Roon settings, you enable HQP and output to it.  Simple.

The NAA is an application that runs on a separate device like a Raspberry Pi or Windows PC.

Thank you for your response. 

Did you get any advantage in run your NAA in the control pc? or just a raspberry can be fine for the installations?

I just thinking in: Main Roon run the Roon Server + control pc (that can run the NAA) and in the another rooms, put a raspberry as naa connecting the DAC directly. 

Using raspberry as NAA I will be limited on 48/96 or can use to run DSD 512 files?

Warm Regards,

Issac Ohasi

Fear build walls! Roger Waters

30 minutes ago, issac said:

Thank you for your response. 

Did you get any advantage in run your NAA in the control pc? or just a raspberry can be fine for the installations?

I just thinking in: Main Roon run the Roon Server + control pc (that can run the NAA) and in the another rooms, put a raspberry as naa connecting the DAC directly. 

Using raspberry as NAA I will be limited on 48/96 or can use to run DSD 512 files?

The NAA is a separate device.  It allows the user to send music from the pc running HQP to another one device on the network.  The benefit is the NAA can be a low power device that does not generate a lot of electrical noise and can be positioned away from the noisier HQP pc.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I apologize if this question has been answered before but I read through this entire thread and am unclear if Roonserver works in Core mode with Server 2012 R2?  I actually tried it and everything seems to work except for mp3 files.  Roon wont import, read, or play any of my mp3 files though FLAC, WAV, DSF, and AAC work fine.  So is this a limitation of Core mode Roonserver or is there another step I need to do to make mp3 work?

Other components:

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

I apologize if this question has been answered before but I read through this entire thread and am unclear if Roonserver works in Core mode with Server 2012 R2?  I actually tried it and everything seems to work except for mp3 files.  Roon wont import, read, or play any of my mp3 files though FLAC, WAV, DSF, and AAC work fine.  So is this a limitation of Core mode Roonserver or is there another step I need to do to make mp3 work?

Hi

You did say yes to install roon support yes? You are also using the latest version of roonserver right?

Best,

AudioPhil

1 minute ago, AudioPhil said:

Hi

You did say yes to install roon support yes? You are also using the latest version of roonserver right?

Best,

AudioPhil

Thank you for the reply.  When I converted from minimal server mode to core mode and ran AO again, I did not see an option to install Roon support.  I am using 2.2 b6 and have the latest version of Roonserver.

Other components:

On 27.2.2018 at 10:54 PM, tboooe said:

I can do so too, but Roon or HQP alone sound better in my system than both together - Even in Shell Mode minimal Server 

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

I am working on Core Server Mode.

Now I am trying with ronbiee running on my rasp berry pi.

This will be a excelent solution for my bedroom.

I installed the HQP yesterday but I didn`t test yet. It will consume some time to understand the configuration in this program.

I was identified that when I run Roon Server + Process Lasso (all roon processes - 3 in total) in the High Mode, the musics crashes sometimes.

Does anyboard using Roon + Process Lasso + Windows 2012 Server Core Mode? I just bought the Process lasso License, so I would like to get the advantage in my installation, if possible.

13 hours ago, tboooe said:

Thank you for the reply.  When I converted from minimal server mode to core mode and ran AO again, I did not see an option to install Roon support.  I am using 2.2 b6 and have the latest version of Roonserver.

Will see what Phil says but I have tried and I end up with light blue frame around the DOS shell after being stuck in reboot. before I had Roon Server running as shell replacement, switched to Core mode and came back in minimal server mode with some Roon related error messages along the way i.e. "can't find this or that .dll"...

So I believe it is still not working in Core mode. But we will see...

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Seems to be working now:

1. Switch to Core Mode - reboot

2. Set Roon as Shell - reboot

3. Run AO - reboot

4. Enter remote desktop. Still black screen = Roon is shell

In my case I have to then enter remote desktop once and Roon is working

Chris