IGNORED

Upgrade an Oppo 105 or get a new device/player?

I would like some advice on upgrade options or other devices that offer the same functionality as an OPPO 105. I don't need multichannel or balance outputs but love having the iPhone app to play my DSD and other format files from my Synology NAS.

I recently went the DSD route with a PS3 and looking for ways to further my audio experience.

I don't need to have a player that necessarily loads physical media but love having my Roku plugged into the player via MHL HDMI to watch movies without complex wiring from my TV back to a DAC, etc.

Is there a network streaming device that supports both music and video? Should I abandon trying to find a one size fits all approach? What options do I have?

I did try to find other threads but suggest others if there is already a 100+ post on the subject.

Dude Named Ben

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

In terms of functionality there is not much which competes with the Oppo as an all in one box. A decent DAC built in with a streamer supporting most audio and video formats along with the ability to add external devices.

The alternative would be a more DIY solution of a PC based system which you could run J.River (or your choice of audio software) alongside applications to emulate the Roku functionality. This could then be connected to your DAC of choice.

So (my summary) would be that you could get something which sounds better, but its not going to integrate the functionality of the Oppo in a simple manner.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I saw the aria kit for Oppo 105 music server at a show a while back. It might be worth checking out

Analog: Lyra Argo i>Rega RB-900>Rega P9>Holfi BattRiaa S.E.(RIAA); Digital: MacMini (Win8/Mavericks)>FW>Mytek 192 Stereo DSD; Power-Amp: ZapSolute mk.II 42W Solid State Class A>Speakers: ProAc Tablette 2000 signature; Headphones: Denon AH-D7000 (MarkL/Cardas); Korg MR-1 (Portable DSD-recorder)

In terms of functionality there is not much which competes with the Oppo as an all in one box. A decent DAC built in with a streamer supporting most audio and video formats along with the ability to add external devices.

The alternative would be a more DIY solution of a PC based system which you could run J.River (or your choice of audio software) alongside applications to emulate the Roku functionality. This could then be connected to your DAC of choice.

So (my summary) would be that you could get something which sounds better, but its not going to integrate the functionality of the Oppo in a simple manner.

I previously was using a jRiver setup and specifically wanted to go away from a situation that required a computer being used to feed a DAC. The Synology setup is the perfect answer.

It terms of why I want to upgrade or perhaps the better word here is mod my OPPO, I find that digital is still somewhat fatiguing and not as transparent as I had hope. I don't want to add tubes to the device, so was hoping there is a happy middle ground that folks have found worth investigating.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

@Hikmer:

OPPO + Synology NAS, connected directly via ethernet is how I have my system set up. I run either the Oppo Media Control app directly to the NAS or I can access Minimserver from inside the Oppo control app. From the OPPO, I have balanced stereo cables to my preamp (for pure stereo music listening) and hdmi out to my HT receiver for video viewing. My stereo preamp has a HT Bypass option so I can switch between the two connections. I have not found anything out there that sounds significantly better with the same swiss-knife do-it-all convenience.

Next steps for me (to combat the digital audio listening fatigue you also mention):

1. Deploy an ethernet filter between NAS and OPPO (should be here in a week or two)

2. Play around with other control apps (e.g. Linn Kinsky) to check out ease of use

2. Experiment with variable output via XLR balanced straight to my monobloc amps (remove the preamp from the chain, as a test)

3. Explore mod options for the Oppo

I would entertain spending 3x-4x the Oppo purchase price on a single-box replacement (Streamer/Dac, I'll keep the Oppo as a disc player) that can receive ethernet signal (this is key. Not interested in USB) and render DSD 256 and MQA and has a nice UI, able to manage large libraries (18,000 CDs in my case)... I have not found one yet.

It terms of why I want to upgrade or perhaps the better word here is mod my OPPO, I find that digital is still somewhat fatiguing and not as transparent as I had hope. I don't want to add tubes to the device, so was hoping there is a happy middle ground that folks have found worth investigating.

Its only one option ... but maybe worth trying the Oppo with the new Bryston DAC which has HDMI input including DSD support.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have a 105 ( and had a 95 beforehand). If you want to keep its out of the box functionality as a renderer/file player for audio but with improved SQ, then a player from Auralic, Bryston or Aurender coupled with your choice of DAC should do the trick. I moved to a Bryston BDP2 plus Hugo DAC.

If though you are looking to replace the Oppo with an upgraded single box solution for both audio and video , then I'm not sure there is anything, except an upgraded 105. I guess as Eloise suggests your other option there would be moving to an optimised HTPC running Jriver plus your DAC of choice again.

I've used a couple of external DACS with the Oppo and to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it as a "transport", so not sure the Bryston BDA3 would prove to be a cost effective upgrade (In the UK at least, I think it will be c.£3500). Ironically what I did find quite unexpectedly good was using the Oppo as a DAC and feeding it from a good quality source (the Bryston BDP2 in my case)

I've used a couple of external DACS with the Oppo and to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it as a "transport", so not sure the Bryston BDA3 would prove to be a cost effective upgrade (In the UK at least, I think it will be c.£3500). Ironically what I did find quite unexpectedly good was using the Oppo as a DAC and feeding it from a good quality source (the Bryston BDP2 in my case)

Norton

Are you using the 105 as a CD player into an external DAC, or via a USB input then into an external DAC ?

I get very good results when using my 103 with an Uptone USB Regen into a USB input, then an external DAC via Coax SPDIF.

I have thought about adding some 3M 2552 adhesive aluminium anti vibration tape under the CD mechanism, as I noted some improvement by adding some of this tape under the chassis and inside the top of the case.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I would like some advice on upgrade options or other devices that offer the same functionality as an OPPO 105. I don't need multichannel or balance outputs but love having the iPhone app to play my DSD and other format files from my Synology NAS.

I recently went the DSD route with a PS3 and looking for ways to further my audio experience.

I don't need to have a player that necessarily loads physical media but love having my Roku plugged into the player via MHL HDMI to watch movies without complex wiring from my TV back to a DAC, etc.

Is there a network streaming device that supports both music and video? Should I abandon trying to find a one size fits all approach? What options do I have?

I did try to find other threads but suggest others if there is already a 100+ post on the subject.

Dude Named Ben

Why no tubes? Too much of a good thing with your CJ equipment?

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

@Hikmer:

OPPO + Synology NAS, connected directly via ethernet is how I have my system set up. I run either the Oppo Media Control app directly to the NAS or I can access Minimserver from inside the Oppo control app. From the OPPO, I have balanced stereo cables to my preamp (for pure stereo music listening) and hdmi out to my HT receiver for video viewing. My stereo preamp has a HT Bypass option so I can switch between the two connections. I have not found anything out there that sounds significantly better with the same swiss-knife do-it-all convenience.

Next steps for me (to combat the digital audio listening fatigue you also mention):

1. Deploy an ethernet filter between NAS and OPPO (should be here in a week or two)

2. Play around with other control apps (e.g. Linn Kinsky) to check out ease of use

2. Experiment with variable output via XLR balanced straight to my monobloc amps (remove the preamp from the chain, as a test)

3. Explore mod options for the Oppo

I would entertain spending 3x-4x the Oppo purchase price on a single-box replacement (Streamer/Dac, I'll keep the Oppo as a disc player) that can receive ethernet signal (this is key. Not interested in USB) and render DSD 256 and MQA and has a nice UI, able to manage large libraries (18,000 CDs in my case)... I have not found one yet.

I had previously verified with Oppo that the streamer section is identical between 103 and 105. I can tell you that the Aries mini streamer is far superior to the Oppo 103 for musical detail and response at the audio spectrum ends when feeding an external DAC. My suggestion would be use the USB input of the Oppo 105 DAC with a purpose built streamer in the Aries line... your DAC section is good but the Oppo streamer section doesn't match it for potential.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Why no tubes? Too much of a good thing with your CJ equipment?

For one thing, the Modwright upgrade is like $2500...that's a little outside my budget. Most mod upgrades are in the $700-1K range.

Thanks for the feedback, for the most part I posted just to get feedback that their still really isn't a solution that replaces a stand alone OPPO 105 player. I was able to audition the 103 and to my ears was a significant improvement (at least in the 2 channel area).

Now I could put the Roku in my TV and feed the digital signal back to a quality networked DAC player....if I can find something that does all formats and I can adjust the sound delay somehow (as when I feed digital back into my system I get an audio delay) then that could be an option too...but I really really really like that I can use the Roku straight into the OPPO for a media center feel.

I am actually surprised there aren't more options for folks like myself.

My suggestion would be use the USB input of the Oppo 105 DAC with a purpose built streamer in the Aries line... your DAC section is good but the Oppo streamer section doesn't match it for potential.

The Oppo 103 benefits markedly from the use of an Uptone USB Regen with it's USB input.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

The Oppo 103 benefits markedly from the use of an Uptone USB Regen with it's USB input.

The OPPO 105D has the Asynch Usb input.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

The OPPO 105D has the Asynch Usb input.

And the 103 doesn't ?

So do the DACs that benefit from the use of the Regen, and that includes the expensive Bricasti M1 DAC and many others too ! It's about improving the Signal Integrity to the USB inputs.

And the 103 doesn't ?

So do the DACs that benefit from the use of the Regen, and that includes the expensive Bricasti M1 DAC and many others too ! It's about improving the Signal Integrity to the USB inputs.

No only the 105D has an Asynch USB input, allows for DSD. I have tried them both the Asynch is night and day from a streamer. Even at 24/96 and 24/192

Norton

Are you using the 105 as a CD player into an external DAC, or via a USB input then into an external DAC ?

I get very good results when using my 103 with an Uptone USB Regen into a USB input, then an external DAC via Coax SPDIF.

I have thought about adding some 3M 2552 adhesive aluminium anti vibration tape under the CD mechanism, as I noted some improvement by adding some of this tape under the chassis and inside the top of the case.

Regards

Alex

Over the years, I used the Oppo playing via various media (CD, SMB, renderer, thumbdrives) with output to a Chord DAC64 or Hugo via SPDif. I never felt that you really escaped the Oppo's character by using an external DAC. By contrast, I found the Oppo did sound quite different/better when using it just as a Spdif or USB DAC with my BDP as source.

Norton

Thanks.

For USB play I get marked improvements when using a Regen with a good PSU in line with my 103.

Regards

Alex

So does anyone have feedback on upgrading the unit instead of an outboard solution? Just trying to get a well rounded opinion.

I'm a fan of what Modwright does but quite frankly I view CD players as dead end technology... makes no sense to try to fix the ills of trying to optically read digital off a spinning CD vs copying it to HD where everything then occurs in a native digital environment. Better to put your money into a standalone DAC.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

So does anyone have feedback on upgrading the unit instead of an outboard solution? Just trying to get a well rounded opinion.

Sell your 105 for 800.00

Buy a used105d Modwright for 3100

Buy an Aurender N series player. ( I have had the Aries femto and the Bryston BDP-1) Aurender head and shoulders above these players. Please no disrespect to the owners of this equipment

Place a Regen in between the Aurender and the Oppo.

You will have World class Audio and Video in one box. You will support DSD. ( sell the P3) You can run your cable box thru it also for improve picture. Darbee enhancement is awesome if you have a projector. You will love the Aurender app on your IPAD. Much more refined than the OPPO's app.

I was exactly where you were 2 years ago. Best money I have ever spent.

About 4,500.00 but you will be satisfied for a long time.

Russ

Sell your 105 for 800.00

Buy a used105d Modwright for 3100

Buy an Aurender N series player. ( I have had the Aries femto and the Bryston BDP-1) Aurender head and shoulders above these players. Please no disrespect to the owners of this equipment

Place a Regen in between the Aurender and the Oppo.

You will have World class Audio and Video in one box. You will support DSD. ( sell the P3) You can run your cable box thru it also for improve picture. Darbee enhancement is awesome if you have a projector. You will love the Aurender app on your IPAD. Much more refined than the OPPO's app.

I was exactly where you were 2 years ago. Best money I have ever spent.

About 4,500.00 but you will be satisfied for a long time.

Russ

So the 105D is required? I wasn't aware it had any extra feature besides improved video. That being said, I was really hoping to keep my budget a little lower than $4500. Maybe I just need to wait a bit longer for a single device to meet my needs?

So the 105D is required? I wasn't aware it had any extra feature besides improved video. That being said, I was really hoping to keep my budget a little lower than $4500. Maybe I just need to wait a bit longer for a single device to meet my needs?

Ric Schultz does mods to the 105. He is EVS. Call him and discus what you want done. He will give you his thoughts.

He feels the 105 can be a great audio player.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I recommend that you sell the 105 and buy the 103. Add the Vanity HD board. Purchase the DAC of your choice, ensuring it has the USB input missing from the 103 (should be pretty easy).

This will be a two box solution, but will afford you numerous choices for digital sound vs. a handful of modders.