IGNORED

Power strips

Happy New Year!

Quick suggestions on a 6 or 8 outlet strip? Just using for little power supplies for network switches, Regen, etc. under 150.00. This is going into a 15 amp circuit separate from a 20 amp dedicated audio circuit.

Thanks,

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

A PS Audio Juice Bar if you can find one.

Happy New Year!

Quick suggestions on a 6 or 8 outlet strip? Just using for little power supplies for network switches, Regen, etc. under 150.00. This is going into a 15 amp circuit separate from a 20 amp dedicated audio circuit.

Thanks,

Russ

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

If your primary goal is protection against damage caused by power surges, the two categories are: (1) surge absorbers, and (2) switches that disconnect the load from the surge.

In the "absorber" category, the products I found with the best published specs are the TrippLite Isobar 6 Ultra and Isobar 8 Ultra. The relevant specs are clamping voltage, UL1449 Let Through voltage (lower is better) and energy suppression (joules; higher is better). The "iso" prefix means the outlets are isolated by separate RF filters.

TrippLite uses MOV's (metal oxide varistors) to absorb surges. MOV's progressively wear out, and there is no way to tell when they are worn out. (The "protected" green lights are meaningless.) So it is prudent to replace the surge protector every few years. This is feasible because the TrippLite products are only $50 at Amazon.

Some of PS Audio's products use a Transient Voltage Suppression Diode (brand name TransZorb), which has the advantage of not wearing out progressively. I don't know the downside of TVS diodes and why they are not commonly used.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I've become a fan of non-MOV surge protectors such as this: Surge Protectors | Brick Wall

Looks like a great concept. However, it worries me that the Brick Wall company is now owned by a marketing firm with no apparent engineering resources called Price Wheeler Corp. This makes me nervous because substituting inferior parts would defeat the purpose of a surge protector.

SurgeX sells a product operating on the same series surge protection principle: a series inductor followed by a semiconductor switch. I think they're much more expensive, possibly because they use a much larger inductor. They were acquired in 2009 by ESP (Electronic Systems Protection), which at least seems to be a genuine engineering company.

Zero Surge sells a $220 product that employs an approach that seems risky. To avoid interrupting power to the load, it cancels out the surge, using an L-C delay circuit to delay the surge enough to give it time to generate the cancellation voltage.

At the top of the price range, Plitron, also marketed by Bryston under their own brand, sells massive isolation transformers in combination with series surge protection like SurgeX and Brick Wall.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

That's merely a power strip with no surge protection or RF filter.

PS Audio is doing a sale on their dectet model, 250 instead of 499, until 31st dec, above your budget but if you were hesitating on this before now might be the time ;o)

Happy New Year!

Thanks,

Russ

The OP asked for a power strip, not a surge protector.

That's merely a power strip with no surge protection or RF filter.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Jumped on the PS audio deal. Still struggling with my main system though as it seems everything decent from Audience, Synergistic, Shunyata,Running Springs etc is 2K on the used side. Currently have my sources and pre into a Richard Gray 400 pro. Really only need a 2 outlet conditioner for a pair of Odyssey Kismet monos. Good deals on some older model conditioners that are upgradable but the cost of the upgrades do not seem to make sense. Tough item to audition, guess you have to take a leap of faith.

Thanks again,

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

I use the GTT Electronics 6 outlet model. The price on eBay has gone up, they are close to 50.00 now. Very good quality.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.