IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

Sonicorbiter SE - Is the ethernet port a fast ethernet (100Mb) or gigabit (1Gb) port?

I have not been able to find this anywhere on the Sonore web site, the online manual, or this thread. Why the question? I am looking at the purchase of a Sonicorbiter SE as well as changing my home LAN to fiber....which means I need the right kind of SFP or switch to work with the port the SE has. Yup, could do a media converter that just autonegotiates the 100/1000 but would prefer to just stay with a gigabit fiber switch I am eyeing that only does 1Gb SFPs.

Could you please post the name of the fiber device that only interfaces at gigabit? I'm very interested in seeing why this is so. Every gigabit PHY that I know of will work with both 100 and 1000, and every switch chip I know of can handle one port at 100 and another at 1000.

Thanks,

John S.

The 1000base-T spec specifies compatibility with 100base-T and 10base-T. The 1000base-SX/LX spec(s) don't (but implementations can and the trendnet FMC does for example)

Of note, the Intel 10gbase SR/LR SFP+ modules that I use work with both 10gbase-SR and 1000base-SX but that isn't required in general.

So this is as specified for copper but not for fiber.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Some updates:

We have updated sonicorbiter.com and it now has the ability to show multiple devices on the network. Also, as of the last update you can also rename the unit to something like "Living Room" so you can personalize the units on the network.

sonicorbiter_com.jpg

Jesus R

Could you please post the name of the fiber device that only interfaces at gigabit? I'm very interested in seeing why this is so. Every gigabit PHY that I know of will work with both 100 and 1000, and every switch chip I know of can handle one port at 100 and another at 1000.

Thanks,

John S.

John the fiber device (switch) I was referring to is an 8-Port SFP Optical Switch with Multimode SFP (8 Port SFP Optical Switch with Multimode SFP ) sold by Diablo Cable. It has been getting favorable reviews (comments). Unless I am mistaken, the RJ-45 port on this model *will* do 100/1000 autoneg...it is only the SFP 'ports' that are at 1Gb and 1Gb only. Yes, I could use the RJ-45 port to hook up to a Sonicorbiter SE without problem. I asked the question rather narrowly...only in the context of my desired configuration (fiber in the SFP ports, only copper where absolutely necessary, and not using the RJ-45 port). My post was already too long and did not want to bore forum reader with the details.

I still have very, very much to learn about fiber and fiber-based equipment. I suspect you're right that there are other fiber-based switches out there that do 100/1000 at SFP port. I honestly do not know for sure... All of the other devices I own already have 1Gb NICs/ports. I should shop around a bit more....and learn some more, too, before I pulling the trigger on equipment....but I also have to start *somewhere.*

Update:

I just added a third option for a power supply:

Option 1 - Linear Power Supply - 120VAC, 60Hz

Option 2 - Standard Power Supply 220-240VAC, 50/60Hz

Option 3 - iFi iPower Supply - 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz, ~1uV average audio band noise floor, for USA/UK/EU/AUS electrical outlets, and active noise Cancellation+

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23680[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23681[/ATTACH]

I have purchased a small batch of the iFi iPower supplies to gauge the interest. It's a nice option for worldwide use and I think it's a perfect fit.

Jesus R

Hello - I am in the UK and a Roon subscriber. I would like to buy the SonicOrbiter for delivery to the UK with the correct power supply. Given the post from yourself quoted here.. are you shipping to the Uk and where can I order if so?

The intent is to wire this via homeplug and on to a Mytek Brooklyn then on to amp and speakers.

Many thanks.

John

Hello - I am in the UK and a Roon subscriber. I would like to buy the SonicOrbiter for delivery to the UK with the correct power supply. Given the post from yourself quoted here.. are you shipping to the Uk and where can I order if so?

The intent is to wire this via homeplug and on to a Mytek Brooklyn then on to amp and speakers.

Many thanks.

John

We ship world wide. The Sonicorbiter SE is available on our website for purchase via the link below. I would select the iPower option for the power supply in your case.

Jesus R

We ship world wide. The Sonicorbiter SE is available on our website for purchase via the link below. I would select the iPower option for the power supply in your case.

Jesus R

Thanks - I did just check that out and see it now. For some reason I didn't find the interantional options when trying last time. Just me being a bit slow on the options!

John

Curious about the OS, is it a Linux derivative?

Practical question about drivers. I think I've seen that the box doesn't need drivers for USB devices. But some devices have special needs. E.g. I have a Geek Pulse and a Geek Out by LHLabs -- the Geek Out and the SE would be particularly cute together, a tiny dongle in the cube. But they have a driver that controls volume in the device, high quality. The Pulse has a knob but the driver allows control all the way from the Roon remote. And the Geek Out has no other control.

Does the SE let me install drivers?

if not, does it provide a quality software volume control?

Practical question about drivers. I think I've seen that the box doesn't need drivers for USB devices. But some devices have special needs. E.g. I have a Geek Pulse and a Geek Out by LHLabs -- the Geek Out and the SE would be particularly cute together, a tiny dongle in the cube. But they have a driver that controls volume in the device, high quality. The Pulse has a knob but the driver allows control all the way from the Roon remote. And the Geek Out has no other control.

AFAIK the Geek Pulse and Geek Out use standard USB Audio Class 2.0 (UAC 2.0) - included in this is the ability to control volume on a DAC device. You need to install a driver as Microsoft choose not to support UAC 2.0 with drivers supplied with the OS. Linux on the other hand (along with OSX) support UAC 2.0 natively so no drivers are required.

Now I don't know if volume control is supported by the Sonore SonicOrbiter in RoonReady mode, but there will be no need for specific Geek Pulse / Geek Out drivers.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The applications should all support software volume control from the various players. However, for DSD/DoP the volume needs to be set to 100%.

Jesus R

AFAIK the Geek Pulse and Geek Out use standard USB Audio Class 2.0 (UAC 2.0) - included in this is the ability to control volume on a DAC device. You need to install a driver as Microsoft choose not to support UAC 2.0 with drivers supplied with the OS. Linux on the other hand (along with OSX) support UAC 2.0 natively so no drivers are required.

Now I don't know if volume control is supported by the Sonore SonicOrbiter in RoonReady mode, but there will be no need for specific Geek Pulse / Geek Out drivers.

The Sonicorbiter's RoonReady output mode supports three volume options. None, software volume control, and hardware volume control.

Jesus R

Got my Sonicorbiter SE this weekend and first listening already sounds quite good. Install was easy in place of the Macbook I had been using as NAA for HQPlayer. My only question is that the unit seems to run quite warm, even when not playing music. Has anyone else noticed this?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Got my Sonicorbiter SE this weekend and first listening already sounds quite good. Install was easy in place of the Macbook I had been using as NAA for HQPlayer. My only question is that the unit seems to run quite warm, even when not playing music. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nice. They should not be hot to the tough...

Jesus R

No, but warm enough to heat the cabinet, so I ended up moving it further from the DAC and Regen.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Update:

We have been qualifying the unit for native DSD support on the DLNA/MPD output mode. The DLNA/MPD output mode will now support PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD. The update will be available shortly.

Jesus R

That's awesome Jesus R, well done! Can we assume that native dsd support for the microRendu will follow?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible to buy just the OS as a download if we already were to have a cubox and an LPS. I'm in the UK so would save shipping / the environment too ;)

I'm actually half waiting to see if there are any more updates re the micro rendu (and also for Roon to add some sort of Room Correction), but it's good to know that facts in case I get impulsive.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible to buy just the OS as a download if we already were to have a cubox and an LPS.

I had asked Jesus the same question given that I already have a Cubox & LPS and the answer was no, the OS is not available as a download. Something to do with the OS license being tied to a package deal (i.e. Cubox). As such, I decided to pass on the Sonicorbiter SE and wait for the microRendu to be released.

That said, if you don't already have a Cubox, then the Sonicorbiter SE is a nice & inexpensive offering.

I had asked Jesus the same question given that I already have a Cubox & LPS and the answer was no, the OS is not available as a download. Something to do with the OS license being tied to a package deal (i.e. Cubox). As such, I decided to pass on the Sonicorbiter SE and wait for the microRendu to be released.

That said, if you don't already have a Cubox, then the Sonicorbiter SE is a nice & inexpensive offering.

Does it fulfil the licensing obligations of the GPL software included, such as Linux and MPD then?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is it possible to buy just the OS as a download if we already were to have a cubox and an LPS. I'm in the UK so would save shipping / the environment too ;)

I'm actually half waiting to see if there are any more updates re the micro rendu (and also for Roon to add some sort of Room Correction), but it's good to know that facts in case I get impulsive.

I understand your situation, but we are not offering the Sonicorbiter's operating system for sale without the hardware.

Jesus R

The question is about the 'integration' or use of streaming services with the Sonicorbiter SE...other than Tidal. I am interested if this device would have the capability to stream from Classics Online HD (COLHD)(ClassicsOnline HD ) ...but not through my phone...much more like Tidal or a Spotify connect scenario. COLHD had a desktop app, web player, Android...I do not have have Apple devices...but I do not see a way to stream COLHD directly thru the SE...like I could with Tidal or Spotify. If this is a possibility, how would the setup have to look so that it would work? Feature already there, already existing 'module' to download, or?