IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

I get the loud thump on an IFI Micro idsd as well with the Linux drivers... Not as bad with my Auralic Vega, but still there. Seems to be very common. The problem with using DoP is that it limits the mytek to DSD 128. One of my main reasons for getting the device was to run DSD256 from hqplayer. Thus it makes the DAC relatively useless for me. As it stands right now it appears the only way it will do DSD256 is directly from Windows.

Robert

I have the same problem with native playback of DSD256 when I upsample PCM to DSD with Daphile (lms and linux combo). I asked around and apparently the DSD is not yet optimized for DSD128+ and should be fixed at some point. Again they use the SoX filters in Daphile, so go figure...

I get this thump at the end of each song, but there is also a somewhat noticeable noise in songs, but it's understandable.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

We have to be clear what is being heard and with what gear. There are clicks in native DSD that are normal. What was reported was a loud thump which to me is something at volume. This thump happens with the Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC when I power it down and the AMP is still on, but it's not a related issue. Anyway, I have taken the Mytek Brooklyn DAC off of the native DSD list until the issues is resolved.

Jesus R

I store all my music as FLAC on a NAS, and stream it over wired Ethernet to a SOtM sMS-100 with the default (switching) PS for my headphone setup, and to a Sonicorbiter SE with the linear PS. Both streamers send USB to Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF coax converters, and thence to downstream components (office: Schiit Bifrost Multibit>Schiit Asgard 2>Mrspeakers Alpha Prime; living room: Bel Canto C7R>KEF Reference 1). I'm tempted to replace the switching PS of the sMS-100 by a better PS, but I'm hesitating because the sMS-100 is discontinued and has seen no software upgrades ever. As for the Sonicorbiter SE, I'm unsure that a better PS would matter for its off-the-shelf platform (CuBox-i). Opinions on whether to upgrade these PSs, or look for something else? In my ideal world, I'd love a low-noise, low-jitter streaming solution with a single Ethernet input and a single S/PDIF coax output that does not fill half of my shelf with boxes and cables, but I doubt that ideal world will happen. The microRendu looks cool, but I'd rather bypass the USB mess.

For those getting thumps, another workaround until the various problems are solved is Audiophile Inventory, which offers settings for DSD conversion that results in "clickless" and "thumpless" files.

Actually I thought of this, but the $100 price kept me from purchasing if I wanted DSD256. Maybe it's a good solution for the future though...

For those getting thumps, another workaround until the various problems are solved is Audiophile Inventory, which offers settings for DSD conversion that results in "clickless" and "thumpless" files.

Update, thanks to lmitche, who kindly acted as tester: Converting with Audiophile Inventory in True Gapless Mode does not resolve the "thump" problem, which from what I understand stems from a buffer underrun caused by firmware, and hopefully soon to be resolved by new firmware (I have no information about new firmware or the timing of same).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I store all my music as FLAC on a NAS, and stream it over wired Ethernet to a SOtM sMS-100 with the default (switching) PS for my headphone setup, and to a Sonicorbiter SE with the linear PS. Both streamers send USB to Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF coax converters, and thence to downstream components (office: Schiit Bifrost Multibit>Schiit Asgard 2>Mrspeakers Alpha Prime; living room: Bel Canto C7R>KEF Reference 1). I'm tempted to replace the switching PS of the sMS-100 by a better PS, but I'm hesitating because the sMS-100 is discontinued and has seen no software upgrades ever. As for the Sonicorbiter SE, I'm unsure that a better PS would matter for its off-the-shelf platform (CuBox-i). Opinions on whether to upgrade these PSs, or look for something else? In my ideal world, I'd love a low-noise, low-jitter streaming solution with a single Ethernet input and a single S/PDIF coax output that does not fill half of my shelf with boxes and cables, but I doubt that ideal world will happen. The microRendu looks cool, but I'd rather bypass the USB mess.

I think the SOtM battery power supply is a nice upgrade for the SOtM Mini Server. There where in fact plenty of updates to the SOtM Mini Server and new features were added over time. The customer who have bought the Sonicorbiter SE are reporting favorably on the unit's performance.

Jesus R

Update, thanks to lmitche, who kindly acted as tester: Converting with Audiophile Inventory in True Gapless Mode does not resolve the "thump" problem, which from what I understand stems from a buffer underrun caused by firmware, and hopefully soon to be resolved by new firmware (I have no information about new firmware or the timing of same).

The thump on the Mytek Brooklyn DAC with native DSD playback is with MPD only and the reason for it has not been determined yet. Also, native DSD with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC is working fine with the RoonReady output mode.

Jesus R

The thump on the Mytek Brooklyn DAC with native DSD playback is with MPD only and the reason for it has not been determined yet. Also, native DSD with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC is working fine with the RoonReady output mode.

Jesus R

Thanks for the correction.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud, like Jesus R said, it's just not yet clear where the Linux thump is coming from. We have an idea that's being tracked down, so stay tuned. If our hypothesis is true, it's not the DAC. HQplayer has no issues with or without the NAA at rates up to DSD256.

Thump or not, SQ at DSD256 is stunning. I'm just lowering the volume to get over the thump for now. Once in DSD256 there are no problems playing more tracks at that rate or switching to PCM. So no big deal really.

Thanks again for the test track.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I think the SOtM battery power supply is a nice upgrade for the SOtM Mini Server. There where in fact plenty of updates to the SOtM Mini Server and new features were added over time. The customer who have bought the Sonicorbiter SE are reporting favorably on the unit's performance.

No updates since I got my sMS-100, but fortunately the software has been bullet-proof for my use cases. It would be nice if SOtM continued their relationship with Sonore/Small Green Computer for software upgrades, but I appreciate that's their call.

I've had a Sonicorbiter SE since last week, working well too. I was just wondering about power supplies as an area for possible upgrades. One possibility would be to get a better PS for one of the two (sMS-100 or Sonicorbiter SE) and then do a careful comparison to find out whether it matters. Or I could get in line for a microRendu to give those older units a real challenge. Not anxious to upgrade, just trying to plot out possible upgrade paths with streamers running your software, which have worked great for me. Any advice on these possible upgrade routes would be appreciated.

Jesus, I received my Sonicorbiter SE today and as others have indicated, setup was painless and I had it up and running within minutes. Even before any real burn-in, connected via USB to my Chord DAVE DAC, SQ is stellar, as good as I was hoping for. Using it as a Roon Endpoint, at the present time, DSD files play fine up to DSD128 (via DoP). When I try to play my DSD256 files, even though both the Sonicorbiter SE and my DAVE are capable of DSD512, and while the SQ remains excellent, file playback tends to skip and stutter at times. With playback of anything beyond DSD128, I notice Roon transcodes my DSD256 file into PCM 705.6 kHz.

I have e-mailed you requesting that you add the Chord DAVE/Mojo to the list of DACs that the Sonicorbiter SE can play DSD directly to (without DoP). If (hopefully, when) you are able to do this, will I be capable of playback of DSD beyond DSD128? If not, is this a Roon limitation?

Jesus, I received my Sonicorbiter SE today and as others have indicated, setup was painless and I had it up and running within minutes. Even before any real burn-in, connected via USB to my Chord DAVE DAC, SQ is stellar, as good as I was hoping for. Using it as a Roon Endpoint, at the present time, DSD files play fine up to DSD128 (via DoP). When I try to play my DSD256 files, even though both the Sonicorbiter SE and my DAVE are capable of DSD512, and while the SQ remains excellent, file playback tends to skip and stutter at times. With playback of anything beyond DSD128, I notice Roon transcodes my DSD256 file into PCM 705.6 kHz.

I have e-mailed you requesting that you add the Chord DAVE/Mojo to the list of DACs that the Sonicorbiter SE can play DSD directly to (without DoP). If (hopefully, when) you are able to do this, will I be capable of playback of DSD beyond DSD128? If not, is this a Roon limitation?

Sorry, but are we certain that the ARM processor in the SOSE os capable to play/upsample to DSD256?

I am asking because I have an Athlon 5350, 2.05 GHz and I get stuttering in Daphile with both DoP/Native DSD and I fear that it's also the CPU's fault, not able to handle the conversion. I know for sure that Daphile's DSD filters are not entirely optimised for DSD128+ but I also fear it's a problem with the CPU...

Sorry, but are we certain that the ARM processor in the SOSE os capable to play/upsample to DSD256?

Good question although on the Sonore website, it clearly states this unit is capable of DSD512 playback although it is unclear to me if this applies only to native DSD playback and not DoP. My files are recorded in DSD256 and so no upsampling is going on but obviously DoP requires transcoding. Roon Core is running on my Mac Pro 12-core machine so my hardware is not the issue. My Mac Pro is connected by wire to my router/NAS via gigabit optical fiber.

No updates since I got my sMS-100, but fortunately the software has been bullet-proof for my use cases. It would be nice if SOtM continued their relationship with Sonore/Small Green Computer for software upgrades, but I appreciate that's their call.

I've had a Sonicorbiter SE since last week, working well too. I was just wondering about power supplies as an area for possible upgrades. One possibility would be to get a better PS for one of the two (sMS-100 or Sonicorbiter SE) and then do a careful comparison to find out whether it matters. Or I could get in line for a microRendu to give those older units a real challenge. Not anxious to upgrade, just trying to plot out possible upgrade paths with streamers running your software, which have worked great for me. Any advice on these possible upgrade routes would be appreciated.

Generally speaking a better power supply will improve sound quality. There are a lot of variables so testing in your system is part of the process.

Jesus R

Without looking into the specs of your DAC I would say that your device needs native DSD support to play beyond DSD128. I can look into native DSD support for you...just send me the information from the Device Diagnostics tab in the GUI. Email it to me at [email protected]

Jesus R

I am asking because I have an Athlon 5350, 2.05 GHz and I get stuttering in Daphile with both DoP/Native DSD and I fear that it's also the CPU's fault, not able to handle the conversion. I know for sure that Daphile's DSD filters are not entirely optimised for DSD128+ but I also fear it's a problem with the CPU...

Yes. Roon handles up sampling in the server. Please start a new thread in the general forum for question about Daphile because we are not involved in that project.

Jesus R

Yes. Roon handles up sampling in the server. Please start a new thread in the general forum for question about Daphile because we are not involved in that project.

Jesus R

Yes, I know, sorry for that.

Out of curiosity, is the SO operating system based on Vortexbox?

I put a Sonore Signature PS on my SMS 100. It made a very noticeable improvement in SQ. This was true even though I went from this:

SMS 100 with standard wall wart and CAPS4 Pipeline with Sonore Signature PS powering the motherboard

to this:

SMS 100 with Sonore Signature PS and CAPS Pipeline with standard laptop PS

The second pair is much better sounding. YMMV

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Without looking into the specs of your DAC I would say that your device needs native DSD support to play beyond DSD128. I can look into native DSD support for you...just send me the information from the Device Diagnostics tab in the GUI. Email it to me at [email protected]

Jesus R

Thanks, Jesus. I will send you that information later today.

This is what my Chord DAVE manual states:

"Direct DSD decoding

When in DSD+ mode, using any digital input, direct DSD playback is supported. DSD material runsnatively on Dave right up to DSD 512."

Here are more detailed specs:

Inputs:

USB B-style: 44 kHz to 768 kHz - DXD and Quad DSD

2x optical: 44kHz to 192kHz

1 x AES: 44kHz to 192kHz

4 x Coax: 44kHz to 384kHz

Thanks, Jesus. I will send you that information later today.

This is what my Chord DAVE manual states:

"Direct DSD decoding

When in DSD+ mode, using any digital input, direct DSD playback is supported. DSD material runsnatively on Dave right up to DSD 512."

Here are more detailed specs:

Inputs:

USB B-style: 44 kHz to 768 kHz - DXD and Quad DSD

2x optical: 44kHz to 192kHz

1 x AES: 44kHz to 192kHz

4 x Coax: 44kHz to 384kHz

Romaz,

The Dave mentions native DSD because when you put it in DSD+ mode it restarts the FPGA and uses a different path than when playing with the PCM FPGA code. This is what Rob and Chord mean by native DSD (unlike in the Qute series where some decimation and one FPGA code line is used, etc). That does not guarantee, however, that Dave comes with a non-DOP capability (remember, DOP is native too, just not raw) to get you to Quad DSD in Linux. The Device Diagnostics will solve this puzzle. I hope you get there; Dave is a great sounding DAC.

Romaz,

The Dave mentions native DSD because when you put it in DSD+ mode it restarts the FPGA and uses a different path than when playing with the PCM FPGA code. This is what Rob and Chord mean by native DSD (unlike in the Qute series where some decimation and one FPGA code line is used, etc). That does not guarantee, however, that Dave comes with a non-DOP capability (remember, DOP is native too, just not raw) to get you to Quad DSD in Linux. The Device Diagnostics will solve this puzzle. I hope you get there; Dave is a great sounding DAC.

Thanks for illuminating me on this, Ted. I will definitely submit the Device Diagnostics info.