IGNORED

Music file corruption without a change in checksum

Bad enough that you have to enter commands in Terminal, but worse is that the Mac keeps making tons of useless hidden files with use, unlike a PC. To get photos onto my Mac to load onto a iPhone or iPad, it makes thousands of hidden files. What would be the benefit of unhiding thousands of files that keep cropping up again and again? It's an O/S designed to sabotage users' efforts to have a clean system. But then again, users who know the difference between a personal computer O/S and a corporate O/S (WinNT and up unfortunately) already have a clue.

The only reason a mac would make "thousands of files" for a picture upload is if you were uploading thousands of pictures. You really need to get your facts straight and stop listening to the bullshit put out by the other Apple Haters.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This seems like a lot of work. This is the tool I use for tasks like this: SyncTwoFolders

One thing I especially like about this utility is that it has a simulation mode so you can see what will be changed before any changes are actually made.

I haven't done file mgmt on a Mac, but on a PC I use a utility that can run in a batch file to compare many folders from drive A to B in one session. Each compare shows the files on both sides, with options that can be toggled: All files with differences highlighted, only matching-filename files on both sides with differences, only files exclusive to one side or the other, etc. etc. Makes a backup very secure, allowing copy either direction, plus view and validate options.

The only reason a mac would make "thousands of files" for a picture upload is if you were uploading thousands of pictures. You really need to get your facts straight and stop listening to the bullshit put out by the other Apple Haters.

I've been around Macs since the beginning. Get YOUR facts straight.

If you copy a file from a mac's HFS+ filesystem to some other file system that doesn't support resource forks, it will create a file called ._foo containing the resource fork information, so that would be one resource fork dot file for every file copied.

If you copy a file from a mac's HFS+ filesystem to some other file system that doesn't support resource forks, it will create a file called ._foo containing the resource fork information, so that would be one resource fork dot file for every file copied.

I have seen this as well, usually when using a flash drive that is formatted for Windows.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

What I meant is the .whatever is the universal unix file system way of hiding a file. That is how it is designed to work.

Right, you'd have to use sudo or become root (the former being recommended over the latter, usually).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That's odd - I get files from my wife's Mac, and I copy the files I need and my PC ignores the '.' files. And I don't miss any info.

Yes, but to get thousands of files, you would still need to copy - thousands of files. The resource fork file isn't usually created if the Mac is providing (or using) a SMB share.

The .foo files are actually just the resource fork on the Mac, and not all Mac files have resource forks. Not for the past few years anyway.

Now in 1984, yeah, that was a problem. But PC's running DOS back then could not accommodate any file names except 8.3... and that was much more of a problem. (grin)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Right, you'd have to use sudo or become root (the former being recommended over the latter, usually).

Not at all. There is nothing special about dot files at the OS level. It's merely by convention that userspace tools omit these from file listings, root or not. To see them in a terminal, use "ls -a". GUI applications usually have an option to display them as well.

Not at all. There is nothing special about dot files at the OS level. It's merely by convention that userspace tools omit these from file listings, root or not. To see them in a terminal, use "ls -a". GUI applications usually have an option to display them as well.

Yes, you're right - I usually use sudo when looking at dot files in Linux or FreeBSD because I'll be editing them.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I did it the beginning, however it's a lot of work.

I have two main folders (DSD with 70 folders) and (PCM with 98 folders)

Here is what I do:

1) I check to see if the two folders on my Mac Mini matches exactly the same two folders on Seagate Slim Mac backup drive. If they do, I'm done I breath a sigh of relief.

2) If one main folder does not match, then I have to individually open each subfolder in the effected main folder on the Seagate Slim Mac backup drive until I find the one with the missing bytes. Rather than comparing each individual music file in the folder I just replace the folder on the backup.

There's a much more efficient way to check your backup and get a list of differences (if any) - use the diff command with recursive option. Where folder1 represents the path to the top level DSD or PCM folder, and folder2 represents the path to the backup of that folder:

diff -rq folder1 folder2

And if you want all .DS_Store files ignored in the comparison:

diff -rq -x .DS_Store folder1 folder2

Thanks everyone, I will refer to this thread if and when I once again have anything on my Seagate Slim Mac backup drive that doesn't match what is on my Mac Mini.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Thanks everyone, I will refer to this thread if and when I once again I have anything on my Seagate Slim Mac backup drive doesn't match what is on my Mac Mini.

Glad to be able to help. BTW, have you considered using a program such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to back up your files? They both do a great job and have a "smart mode" that only copies the files needed to make the target drive match the source drive.

Another possibility is the content of the resource fork. ls will report the total size of the data fork plus the resource fork, but du will report only the data fork. Therefore utilities based on du (or its approach) may produce differing results.

See my blog post on HFS+ compression for more details.

Glad to be able to help. BTW, have you considered using a program such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to back up your files? They both do a great job and have a "smart mode" that only copies the files needed to make the target drive match the source drive.

Actually no, because they cost between $27.99 - $39.99. I don't buy software for something my computer, etc. already does, just to make it easier. Thanks for the suggestion though. (;-)

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Actually no, because they cost between $27.99 - $39.99. I don't buy software for something my computer, etc. already does, just to make it easier. Thanks for the suggestion though. (;-)

I understand although these products provide many features that OS X doesn't have. For example, they allow you to create a bootable clone of your system disk. This has saved my bacon on a number of occasions.

Ok, this is going to sound weird. Today, I had a older folder off by about 2,000 bytes in the saved version on my Seagate Silm Mac backup drive. So I opened both folders (Mac Mini and Seagate backup) and compared each individual music file and album cover file and each matched exactly so I went back to the folder level and now they matched. Somehow just opening up the files gave the Seagate the same bytes as the Mac Mini. I swear I didn’t save anything, I just looked. Could it be the first time the Seagate folder gave the total bytes it didn’t include any hidden files and the second time it gave the total bytes it added the hidden files into the calculations?

I still love music.

Teresa

Teresa ... what format is the Seagate drive in? Is if HFS or is it exFAT?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Teresa ... what format is the Seagate drive in? Is if HFS or is it exFAT?

I have both a Mac and a PC and bought this as it works with both OS X and Windows. I had to download HFS+ from Seagate's website to use with my Gateway laptop. So I am guessing it is HFS.

On my Mac Mini I back up everything except music with Time Machine. Under Time Machine Preferences I exclude music from Time Machine backups and have a separate folder for them. See Photo. This is because my PC laptop can't access individual music files from Time Machine backups.

Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 1.55.29 AM.png

Thanks.

I still love music.

Teresa